The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Kaiserreich - What If Germany Won WWI?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thought it might be worth sharing this here, as it's eaten up a lot of my time in recent months and even led to me revamping an AH scenario I was helping out with! If you've not heard of it before, Kaiserreich is a mod for Hearts of Iron IV (a WWII simulator made by Paradox Interactive) which presents an alternative 1930s in a world where the Central Powers won the First World War, but a 'Second Weltkrieg' is looming on the horizon...

The point of divergence for this scenario is Germany deciding NOT to resume unregulated submarine warfare in the aftermath of the sinking of the Lusitania, so the United States stays out of the war, and the Central Powers are able to narrowly secure victory. Each member secures some land from their neighbours, but Germany fares best of all, taking control of many British and French colonies in Africa and Asia, and setting up several client Kingdoms in Europe.

That's not the only thing that changes, though...in Russia, Vladimir Lenin is shot and killed, and the Communist Revolution fails, with Russia re-establishing itself as a republic. With Communism seemingly discredited as a viable ideology, alternative movements that stalled in our timeline come to the forefront, such as Syndicalism (a sort of compromise between Capitalism and Communism where EVERYTHING is run by unions), and revolutions take place in the bulk of the losing nations, with Italy collapsing into multiple rival states and the British and French governments fleeing to their colonies in Canada and West Africa, where they prepare to one day take back their homeland...

So, as 1936 dawns, and Germany's hold of the world weakens with a massive stock market crash, the world slides closer to war...the allied Syndicalist states of the Third Internationale seek to crush Germany (as does a resurgent Russia), while elsewhere in the world, the United States draws closer to a vicious civil war, and Japan prepares to invade a China that remains divided between warlords...and incidentally, part of what makes this game so interesting is that there isn't any single guaranteed outcome; just about every state in the world has multiple paths that change their political ideologies and give them new tasks (Russia, for instance, can stay a republic, become Syndicalist, restore the Empire and invite a Tsar to rule, or fall to 'National Populism' (this timeline's equivalent of Fascism) under the leadership of the Russian equivalent of Hitler)...

If you're curious, check it out! There are plenty of YouTube videos about it online, and there's a Wiki, Reddit and a TvTropes page for it as well!

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ah, Kaiserreich. It was my first taste of alternate-history in Hearts of Iron IV, though I've since moved on to TNO, which I am on the dev team of.
"This song is new to me, but I am honored to be a part of it."
-Solanum

The Mr. E's science advisor and the GoF's resident spaceflight enthusiast