The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT in your country

Dima02 · 14 · 2660

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Aw, man, I'm so excited. Yesterday, I was getting bored of studying for finals, so I decided to look up the Land Before Time on Chinese websites. As it turns out, them have translated some of the movies into Chinese. I'm watching The Land of Mists in Chinese right now, and it's sweet! Here's the link. Subtitled for anyone trying to learn the language.

I also read up some Chinese movie sites. Despite the fact that not many people know about it, the people who do really love it. Most are oblivious to sequelious, and the people love it! Too bad the songs are still in English.

This brings me back to my original topic. How do people perceive LBT in your country? Just for lolz, what are the characters' names and titles in your language?

The Land Before Time- 小脚板走天涯
(if you translate this back literately, it means Littlefoot walks the world)

Littlefoot-小脚板
Ali- 艾利
Cera- 索拉
Ducky- 荙基
Petrie- 比芝
Spike- 史伯

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
They used to dub the LBT TV series in Indonesian here in my country. They didn't exactly translate the title or the character names, but whatever. I'm just glad they didn't have to dub the songs too (they left it out in English), or it would've sounded TWICE as bad. :blink:

Anyways, here's what they would've called LBT, if it was translated literally:

The Land Before Time - Tanah Sebelum Waktu (honestly, that's just a really awkward translation :P:)

The Great Valley - Lembah Besar (I actually like this one)

Littlefoot - Litelfut
Ali - Eli
Cera - Sera
Ducky - Daki
Petrie - Petri
Spike - Spaik
Ruby - Rubi
Chomper - Comper
(basically, they're all just literal pronunciations of the names)

Mr. Threehorn - Pak Tanduk-tiga (literal translation)
Mr. Thicknose - Pak Hidung-tebal (also literal translation)

There are still more that would sound weird when translated, but that's all I could think of for now. :lol

Oh and if you're curious how LBT sounds in my language, I've recorded at least one TV episode dubbed in Indonesian. Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=35795B5E8D9687CF
They've all been subtitled, so don't worry. Make sure you turn on Closed Captions though. ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It sure is known here, I did bump into some DVDs at shopping centre half year ago, I remember, that I saw sometimes VHS of LBT about 15 years ago. I even remember, that one day in radio show, the radio host said, that his son likes movies with "Nožička", and it was immediately clear to me, that it was LBT. That was perhaps in 2006.

Old dub:

Littlefoot- Nožička
Cera- Sára
Petrie- Pírko
Ducky- Zobka
Spike- Bodlina
Chomper- Chrupka

As a matter of interest, I remember, that in this dub movies until LBT VIII, in old dub, Littlefoot is SHE, not he. It was certainly the case of LBT VI,VII, VIII, presumably also I-V, but I cannot remember these in Czech clearly now. 

There is also a new dub of movies, which I did not see, so I won't write more.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:50:36 PM by Compsognathus »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
We have different translations. My favorites are:

Littlefoot - Крошки-Ножки
Cera - Сэра
Ducky - Даки
Petrie - Питри
Spike - Шип
Sharptooth - Острозуб
Chomper - Зубастик
Ruby - Руби
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Not in my country, but I watched some Polish LBT.

Littlefoot- Liliput
Cera- Cera
Petrie- Pteruś
Ducky- Kaczusia
Spike- Szpic
Chomper- Chapuś
Ruby- Rubi

Rustam

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Social Network Profile
There is a bunch of funnies related to the translation of LBT into Russian. Even before the official translation appeared, the translators called the characters as they liked. This gave rise to ridiculous names.

Littlefoot became:
Tinyfeets (Крошки-Ножки)
Small Feets (Маленькие Ножки)

In some translations, Cera became Sarah. Fasepalm.  :ChomperEww

Chomper became Хряпчик (Hryapchik) which is completely untranslatable in English.

But the rules of the Russian language are such that proper names are not translated, so it would be correct to leave the original names Littlefoot (Литлфут) and Cera (Цера). However, animal nicknames are translated, so theoretically, if Chomper is considered a pet, his name could be translated as Зубастик (nibbler) or Кусака (nipper). In the Russian-speaking community of LBT fans, the name Зубастик has become established.
Forever in the past.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
There is a bunch of funnies related to the translation of LBT into Russian. Even before the official translation appeared, the translators called the characters as they liked. This gave rise to ridiculous names.

Littlefoot became:
Tinyfeets (Крошки-Ножки)
Small Feets (Маленькие Ножки)

In some translations, Cera became Sarah. Fasepalm.  :ChomperEww

Chomper became Хряпчик (Hryapchik) which is completely untranslatable in English.

ностальгия :D

Still, Крошки-ножки, Шип и Зубастик are my favorite versions. :)

if Chomper is considered a pet
 :ChomperEww :ChomperRWAAR :Chomp
6/14
0/26

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
The sequels were hugely popular in Sweden. Every kid I knew had at least half a dozen LBT VHS tapes at home. I quite prefer the original voice cast over the dubs but having compared the two, it's remarkable how similar the Swedish voice actors are to the original English ones. They really did a good job there. They got a lot of celebs and musicians working it too.

They even got Littlefoot's voice breaking like the originals. Wonder if it was on purpose. Ha.

"Landet för Länge Sedan" literally translates to "Land of Long Ago" and most of the names were exactly the same. Littlefot was Lillefot, Cera was Cera, I think we called Ducky "Kvacky". Ducks quack after all.

shaiger

• Chomper
    • View Profile
In Finnish almost every movie name is the exact translation from the original (even the name Maa Aikojen Alussa is literally The Land Before Time), but a lot of the character names take liberties.

Littlefoot - Pikkutassu (Little paw)
Cera - Sera
Petrie - Petri (a Finnish first name)
Ducky - Alli (a Finnish first name)
Spike - Piikki (literal translation)
Chomper - Jomppe (a diminutive name, could be derived from names like Joonas)
Ruby - Tuuli (a Finnish first name, means "wind")
Ali - Ani (I think this was made to prevent confusion with Alli)

Mr. Threehorn / Topsy - Herra Kolmisarvi (literal translation) / Topsi
Tricia - Trina
Mr. Clubtail - Herra Nuijahäntä (literal translation)
Mr. Thicknose - Herra Paksukuono (Thick muzzle)
Hyp - Henkka (diminutive of the name Henri)
Mutt - Mara (diminutive of Markus), and in the TV series Mökö (derived from the word "mököttää / mököttäjä" = grumpy)
Nod - Fergus
Rhett - Retu (diminutive of the name Frederik)

Rooter- Tonkija (literal translation)
Tippy - Tipi (fun fact: Tipi is the Finnish name for Tweety, the Looney Tunes character)
Shorty - Ossi (I don't know why they went with this name because there has already been a character named "Ossi". A more suitable translation would've been "Pätkä" which means short/shorty)
Big Daddy - Iso Käsi (Big hand)
Lizzie - Lissu (diminutive of the name Liisa)
Skitter - Keijo (a Finnish first name)
Rocky - Jori (a Finnish first name)
Dusty - Assi (a Finnish first name)

Sharptooth - Terävähammas (literal translation)
Strut - Pate (diminutive of the name Patrik)
Ozzy - Ossi (diminutive of the name Oskari. Not to be confused with Shorty : D)
Itchy - Hiski (a rare Finnish first name, derived from the Jewish name Hiskia)
Dil - Vili (diminutive of the name Vilhelm - Dil is a male in the Finnish dub)
Uncle Pterano - Eno Lentola ("Eno" [pronounced /EH-no/ not /ee-no/] means the maternal uncle/mother's brother. "Lento" means "flight", and the last syllable "-la" is a very common ending for surnames and locations in Finnish. Usually Finnish location names and surnames ending with "-la" are translated with the Swedish "-by" which means village, so by this logic his name would be "Flightville")

There are a lot of other characters with translated names but I have to re-watch the movies and look more into the TV series to make more claims. There might also be some errors in the names I listed, so there's a chance it's not 100% correct :').

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Interesting how they converted names to real finnish names. :O

Finland.. гг
Give me my uncut LBT
6/14
0/26

shaiger

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I agree! Finnish dubs translate names quite often and I think it's because English has speech sounds that aren't present in the Finnish language (for ecample the "ch" sound in "speech"), so it's easier for kids to learn and remember names that they can actually pronounce. For example Lightning McQueen from Cars is "Salama McQueen" (Salama means Lightning) but they kept the surname the same, because it's pronounced like Mäkwiin and kids can say it without difficulties.
But I also think that one of the reasons why they have given Finnish first names to a majority of the LBT characters is because of lip-sync. Lizzie, Rocky and Dusty have almost the same lip movements as Lissu, Jori and Assi. But I'm just speculating, so don't quote me on this haha :D