The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An Odd Rumor

Raptor · 82 · 9103

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Just watched the orginal movie(was even better then I remembered) again, and I'm having an even more trouble understanding this rumor then before.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hm, metaphorically speaking, that's probably what Don Bluth was trying to get across.

It's not really that the kids died and found this "Great Valley". However, through their pain, troubles, and such during the journey to the Great Valley, it was probably reflecting on how every person has to go through a journey in life and then find your heaven, or in this case, "The Great Valley", when it ends.

I'm not saying this is EXACTLY that this was the moral that Don Bluth was aiming for, but it could be possible that when he made this film, he was reflecting human actions and how everyone has their own journey to go on and then everyone finds their "heaven" or "eternal bliss" or whatever you want to call it.

I'm also not saying that these "rumors" are correct either. They could have been made up by some LBT haters that just want to make trouble...-_- I did have to laugh at that rumor though...I mean honestly, that wouldn't be good at all, kids would be crying, parents would probably be enraged, and some animation fans or Don Bluth fans would probably go:  :blink:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
There's another rumor regarding LBT that I recently heard. On YT, some guy messaged me and stated that the original ending of Land Before Time involved the parents coming in to save their children from Sharptooth, but was dropped because it seemed too "cheesy" or "lame".

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To me, it's just a rumor.  Rumors don't have any evidence to back them up and I despise it when folks actually believe them without proof they are true <_<.  Unless there is documented proof that Don Bluth had intended LBT to end this way, it is just a rumor.  Besides, if the Gang truly had perished, why in the heck would the sequels be created :huh:?  There would be no grounds to base the sequels off of the afterlife(much controversy would be kicked up then :rolleyes:).  There is no proof of this rumor; therefore, I call it a crock -_-.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 24 2008 on  06:07 PM
There's another rumor regarding LBT that I recently heard. On YT, some guy messaged me and stated that the original ending of Land Before Time involved the parents coming in to save their children from Sharptooth, but was dropped because it seemed too "cheesy" or "lame".
This sounds fake to me.

However, the Great Valley "Afterlife" rumor is known to be false.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
can I simply just say "duh"?

if they were dead, then why wasnt Litlefoot reunited with his mother?

makes no since...

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I watched the first with this idea of the Great Valley perhaps standing in for Heavan in my head, and I loved the ending more than last time. It just seemed to work....not the details, but the general feel.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The version of the rumor I heard described the idea of the Great Valley as a dinosaur "heaven" as an idea which Bluth and his team pursued at one point but which they dropped because of the very reasons given above (crying kids, angry parents). I don't know it for sure of course, but I think that there may well be some substance to that rumor. "Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart..." that famous line would have fitted very well to such an interpretation of the Great Valley.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: AvestheForumFox,Jul 25 2008 on  01:59 AM
if they were dead, then why wasnt Litlefoot reunited with his mother?

The only possibility as to why they wouldn't be reunited is because maybe Littlefoot's mother knew that he was destnined to find the Great Valley on his own without her help. Maybe not destined, but after he came this far, maybe she realized he needed to find it for himself. I don't know how much sense I am making, but oh well.

I remember reading somewhere about that original ending, but then the website was taken down so I can't give you guys a link to it. I think it would have been plain awful if they were killed off. Also, critics and fans would probably pan the film just because of the ending, at least I know I would.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Agreed. That ending would have ruined the movie for me. Not to mention the concept of Heaven is a religious concept, and dinosaurs don't fit into the canon of most religions.

And wouldn't the sequels debunk the Heaven idea anyway, since the Great Valley still has suffering, natural disasters, and predators?

stars

• Spike
    • View Profile
also i see this as a rumor because Littlefoot was on the Earth and his mother was in the clouds apart from eachother. This rumor sounds like something someone would say in a fanfiction of their own.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Under the condition that such an ending had been considered by Bluth and his team, but was not realized obviously I am not sure if indeed there is no substance at all to the rumor.
There had been at least one other movie around that time (All dogs go to heaven) which included death, but was not particularly religious. With the awareness that dinosaurs are extinct and with the "some things you see with your eyes others you see with your heart" and "circle of life" type of messages I consider it far from impossible that such an interpretation of the Great Valley may have been in the mind of the makers at one time (also remember that they weren't thinking at all about sequels back then).

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
It was sounds familar. They were in a paradise except the fact that littlefoot's mother was there. She saved her baby.She should have been in heaven with them. Unless, she went to hell with that sharptooth. :cry

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt the Great Valley in the final version of the movie is meant to be heaven or that Littlefoot and his friends died at the end to enter it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nobody says either of this. It is obvious from the movies that the Great Valley is a very solid, earthly place with all its pros and cons. It is possible though that earlier plans for the movie planned for the Great Valley to be a kind of dinosaur heaven. Obviously these plans (if any) were dropped.
Who knows... is there any chance that the thought of a sequel may have played a role in the decision not to put an absolute and ultimate end to the story? It is very unlikely as I don't think any of the "decision-makers" of the first movie was in any way involved with the second, but I would not quite go so far as to call it impossible that the thought of a sequel may perhaps have played a role in the change of plans if indeed the thought of GV=Heaven existed.

Spike_of_the_Valley

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm fairly sure that if thoughts of a sequel had been on anyone's mind when the original was being made, then it wouldn't have taken six years for LBT II to come out, given that they've been able to bring out a sequel every year or two since then.  

As for whether they were thinking of making the Great Valley heaven in the original, I'm in two minds about it.  There are a few lines that almost make it seem so (eg. "Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart."), but I can't figure out how they would have done the ending without making the bulk of the movie seem pointless.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm fairly sure that if thoughts of a sequel had been on anyone's mind when the original was being made, then it wouldn't have taken six years for LBT II to come out, given that they've been able to bring out a sequel every year or two since then.
Which is why (even though I brought the thought up) I'm quite sure myself that the thought of a sequel did not play a role in the decision to alter the ending if the idea of GV=Dinosaur heaven ever existed. I am not sure, but the idea of such a concept would seem rather plausible to me, so I consider it more likely than not that such ideas existed but were not realized.

Sharptooh #436

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Otherwise Littlefoot would have met his mother in the Great Valley.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone here is saying that the Great Valley really is a dinosaur heaven in the sense of a place where they go after their death. It is perfectly clear that none of the gang characters died in the first movie (or any of the others at that). The idea of the Great Valley as a dinosaur heaven is quite possible to have been considered as an alternative ending of LBT. If such plans existed they were obviously not realized, but it may well be that there had been such plans.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oy...just  read all three pages! Did'nt want to repeat anything!

My two cents:
I think, whomever started this rumor, is just miffed that all these sequels are comming out and ruined the whole movie for them, so in turn, they would rather have the Gang be dead so that no more sequels could have been made.

Also, the idea could have been real and dropped for reasons stated before. They could have been dropped, also, because the whole death and Heaven deal had been done for All Dogs.