The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Sci-Fi Roleplay

MrDrake · 357 · 24133

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Zoe's heart seemed to jump a beat when Whisper had said that "You....you are? I mean, um, wow" she smiled to Whisper, seeming to be rather happy now.

Zoe thought for a second before she spoke once more "Do you....want to....make sure?" she decided to ask, stepping forward a bit more closer to Whisper.

"Wait, Blackbeard?" Valria spoke up "Here was there? That can't be good....it sounds like you hadn't killed him though, which is going to prove to be a pain" she added in, looking over to Raiven.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Delta ran over to the crate and used his bioscan to confirm that the food was indeed bad. It was rotten meat, with no less than 15 different kinds of malignant pathogens infesting it.

"Are you okay, Isidor? You didn't touch any of the food, did you?" For the first time, the guardian was nervous. Yes, nervous. It was a trait that was programmed into him in order to give urgency to his actions in the case of an emergency.

Omega, meanwhile, was still on the bridge, oblivious to all of what was happening in the cargo bay.

"Heron, can you come in please?" He asked the computer while standing as still as a statue.

"Yes, Omega. I'm here."

"Could you give me an update on the status of the ship and crew?"

"Certainly. All biological units are present and accounted for, Alpha is still not back yet, Delta is in the cargo bay, and all systems are fully functional."

"Good to hear. You are omnipresent throughout the ship, correct?" Omega had received a message from Delta warning him that Heron was not necessarily a trustworthy A.I. As far as either of the guardians could tell, Heron was unable to intercept the transmission.

"Correct. There is nothing that goes on in the ship that I am unaware of, inasmuch as my sensors can detect. For example, Valria and Raiven are conversing, and Isidor just opened up an unsealed canister in the cargo bay."

"What was in the canister? A missile system? Ammunition?"

"Spoiled meat." It was as Delta had spoken, until... "I warned Isidor not to open it, but you know how biological units can be sometimes. You tell them not to do something, and they do it anyway. It is highly illogical of them, as if telling them not to do something has the opposite effect."

Omega's suspicions were aroused now. Heron's story and Delta's story did not match up.

"I can show you the recording of my warning, if you'd like." Heron added, as cheerfully as he could be.

"Your warning?" Omega was told that there was no such warning given, even though Heron knew what was in the canister.

"Yes. I told you that I had warned Isidor. I can play it back on demand. Don't you trust me?" The truth was, Omega did not. Any warning played back could have been fabricated, a savant series computer was certainly advanced enough to do that, but why?

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Whisper didn't say anything. She just leant forward and kissed her on the lips, again.

This time, however, she was sure she meant it.

She then leant back, and looked at Zoe with an odd sort of grin. 'Does that help?' She asked, rather sheepishly.

Raiven let out another sigh. 'Yes, Blackbeard was there. And from what I saw, he's going to be a tough bastard to kill. Did you happen to know he is made of liquid metal, by any chance?'

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Zoe just nodded back to Whisper as she grabbed her hands with a smile "Can I um....come in with you? Please?" she asked Whsiper.

Valria shook her head a bit "No, I didn't know that actually....that....complicates things even further" she thought for a moment "Liquid metal....hmm...."

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Omega approached Zoe and Whisper. They were the closest living members of the crew to him. He knew that this wasn't going to be easy, but he had to say it in the open. Using speech that he knew Heron could hear. It was a calculated risk, but it had to be done.

"Excuse me, everyone. I have some important news for you regarding our ships' A.I. You all know about Heron, right?" Omega had little way of knowing what the biological units knew without asking them. This was so much harder than receiving a transmission of relevant data. Speech had so much more ambiguity. Still, he had to say it out loud. Attempting to hide it would only make it worse. At least Omega had no lips for Heron to read.

Heron could see and hear the whole thing. Already the A.I. was calculating the probability that his excuses would be accepted.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Raiven paced around the room with a slight limp. 'Yes, it certainly complicates matters. I've never seen anything like it in my whole life, and I've seen some pretty strange things.'

He stopped in the middle of the room, and looked to Valria. 'It certainly makes him a rather unique model. From what I've seen, he has similar motives to what Zarcon had, which is a bit strange... but dangerous in his hands.'

He shivered a little. 'I... feel like I made a mistake back in that room with Zarcon, Val. With him out of the way, what's to stop Blackbeard from taking control of the whole fleet? A near indestructable machine in control of such a force does not bode well for Earth one little bit.'

Whisper, meanwhile, was about to invite Zoe into her room when Omega interrupted them with his speech. 'That crazy computer, you mean?' Whisper said. 'Not a lot, but come in and close the door behind you.'

She turned and winked at Zoe, 'maybe another time, hm?' she said quietly.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Zoe looked to Omega "Yeah, I know, he's the ship's computer" she paused for a second only to hear Whisper talk next.
"Aww....well, um....okay then" Zoe said giving Whisper another kiss on the lips "I'm going to go and check on Firefly okay?" she spoke as she then turned and headed off.  She wanted to go and check on Valria herself as well.

Valria soon got off the bed and got her clothes back on finally and looked to Raiven "Then we need to find him and stop him....I may not have my suit anymore, but that's not going to stop me" she folded her arms as she thought for a second again "But who knows where he is at the moment"

Zoe knocked on the door and enetered, seeing that Valria was now awake and doing well, rushing over to her and giving her a hug, to which Valria hugged her back.

And that's when it happened, a rather loud explosion was heard.  T-5.0 looked outside as she saw Zarcon's giant warship exploding.  A rather big shockwave rushing towards the ship, so she spoke over the intercom "You guys might want to hold onto something....."

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
'Well, great,' Raiven muttered, as he heard T over the intercom. 'Out of the frying pan, and into the fire,' he continued as he clutched onto the desk.

Whisper held tight to a bedpost, and Isodor gripped onto a crate... which happened to be the one he was currently looking into. 'Please don't tell me something just exploded out side, I hate it when that happens.'

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Alpha detected the explosion before any of the others did. He was already going at top speed in the direction of the Athos, so increasing his speed was not an option. A thought entered into his digital mind. What is he could ride the shock wave for an extra boost of speed?

Back on the ship, Omega grabbed onto the wall with enough strength to crush human bones. The fact that a massive wave of force was about to wash over the ship was secondary to his concerns about Heron; he knew that the vessel could take it.

"Heron isn't being honest with us. He lied to me about what he said to Delta, and he failed to warn Isidor that-"

KLAKLAKKALAKAKAKALLALAKAKA! The force of the explosion washed over the Athos like water over a rock.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Both Valria and Zoe held onto something as well as blast struck the ship, Zoe in turn, falling over however, having lost her ballance "Oww..." was all she could say.

T-5.0 held onto what she could and braced herself for the same impact as it was struck.

Valria soon helped Zoe up as she looked to Raiven "Stay with her for a moment, I want to go and find out what that was" she told him as she headed off to where T-5.0 was.

Zoe looked to Raiven, but yet, didn't listen really as she took off after Valria to also go and find out what the explosion was all about.

"It was Zarcon's ship, it was destroyed" T-5.0 told them.

"Destroyed?  That's impossible" Valria spoke back.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Raiven too decided to go find out what the heck had just happened, and so rushed out the door and towards the cockpit.

Isodor lifted himself off the ground, having nearly been thrown into the crate of rotten food, and deciding that the cold, metal ground was much better than spoilt meat. 'Damnit, at this rate I'm going to need a chiropractor,' he said with a grumble, turning to face Delta. 'Any idea what that might have been?'

After the explosion, Whisper faced Omega, scaringly calm considering what had just happened. 'Well, what of our computer?' She asked the Guardian.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"I'll answer that!" Heron announced. "I know that this looks bad, but I assure you that everything is under-"

"Shut it. I suspect that you were given a mission to complete, and that you were told that nonessentials like the crew were expendable." Omega replied, actually angry. This was uncommon for a robot.

"Well, yes. Isidor has been calculated to be a nonessential part of the crew, and therefore, not required for the mission. There was no need to warn him of anything, as his contributions to the ends I am required to meet were less than zero."

"Come again?" Omega knew what this meant, but had to be sure. He wanted it to be heard in front of everyone. Heron knew that too, so the savant series A.I. switch to numerical communication which a living being could not hear.

"Isidor was a burden to our goals. I calculated this upon seeing what he did and what happened to him. Losing him would not be a loss, in fact, but a gain to our stated objectives. Pity you cannot get me to say that out loud."

Meanwhile, in the cargo bay...

"Isidor, that was the enemy's ship exploding. Blackbeard must have set it to self-destruct, or at least, one of his men did."

THUD!!! Something solid hit the hull of the Athos!

"And that's Alpha. I'm picking up his signal now."

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"Regardless of that, he is still part of the team, no matter what" Valria told Heron before Heron had switched to numbers so that living beings could not hear.

However, T interupted them "Loosing Isodor will not be a gain to anything, I don't know how you were programed, but even if one has done whatever it is they need to do, their lives are still valuable none the less" she spoke up, talking to everyone present, especially Heron in particular "You didn't know that I can understand your number talk, did you? I may not be of the same level of model make as that of Blackbeard, but I am still useful none the less"

Valria and Zoe looked to T when she had said that as Valria spoke again, having a rough idea of what was going on "T's right Heron, unlike you, she and the guardians actually care for other living, breathing things"

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
This conversation certainly didn't help Isodor out one bit, still sitting in the cargo. 'Uh, what are they on about me being non-essential?' The squib asked Delta.

Raiven was quite... pissed off, to say the least. 'Typical of a machine to think a mortal being an expendable,' he said with a slight hint of anger in his voice. 'It would probably help if you knew my companion for more than a few hours.' He kept his cool for the moment, even if Heron was insulting him by talking down Isodor, as if he was useless driftwood.

The fourteen year old squib had come a long way in Raiven's mind, considering he had shown up at the police force as a criminal.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Isidor, we should join the others." Delta told the young squib, helping him up. "An issue has come up, as you may have guessed. Our very ship's computer may be turning against us. Let's hope that he doesn't consider all of us a hindrance."

"I heard that!" Heron replied.

"Of course you did! You're everywhere in this ship!" Delta spoke aloud, forgetting that he had received Heron's words in numerical form.

Alpha had received a broadcast of this as well from Omega. He knew the situation as he approached the hatch of the ship. Entering the codes to open the door, he discovered that it would not open.

"Heron, open this door, please. I have to get inside the ship."

"A security emergency is in effect, Alpha. I cannot let you inside until it has been resolved." Heron replied, projecting his 'voice' into space for Alpha to 'hear.'

"If there is a problem, I can help resolve it." This wasn't going to work.

"Your presence would be disruptive. I cannot allow you inside the ship at this time."

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"I beg to differ Heron" T-5.0 spoke up "Allow him access into the ship this instant....otherwise, I may have to uninstall you" she threatened, not actually knowing if Heron could be uninstalled or not, but decided it was worth a shot anyway.

Valria folded her arms as she was not impressed at the moment "Do it Heron....now" she told him rather sternly.

Zoe decided to go and tell Omega and Whisper about what was going on, knocking on the door "Whisper! Omega!" she called out to them "The ship....it's....I don't know! I think it hates Isodor...." was all she said "Or maybe it hates everyone on the ship"

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"I'm afraid that's out of the question, really." Heron replied. "I didn't realize that you could be privy to my numerical communications, T-5.0. I shall have to change the encryption. It makes no difference anyway. You CAN'T get rid of me without erasing the basic programming of the ship. Without that, none of the vital systems can operate. That means no air, no light, no heat, no pressure, no life support systems at all. There would be no engines, no shields, and no weapons. In short, you are all stuck with me, so you might as well enjoy the ride."

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Valria thought for a second before she spoke up again "Then answer me this one question Heron, who on this ship do you deem to be valuable to the mission? What if those who are deemed valuable to the mission were killed? What then hmm? Would you then look to say, isodor, whom you had deemed invaluable to the mission for some help in the end?  Or is that against your logical thinking?" she decided to ask him rather curiously.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"You are all expendable unless you are vital to my mission" Heron replied, matter-of-factly. "You all knew the risks you were taking when you signed on. Every one of you is here for a reason. The moment you cease to be productive to the objectives is when your value to me comes to an end. I make no distinctions of value based on species, color, or whether or not you are biological; it is pure logic."

Alpha decided not to waste his words on the A.I., which was clearly going bad. The guardian knew that any attempt to breach the hull by force would be considered an attack, which would provoke the ship's defenses. Another means of getting in would have to be found.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"And that's where you can be wrong, we may be vital to you, but whoever said we would end up living? What if, instead of helping you out in whatever mission you have now, we decide to instead, terminate ourselves, therefore, making your whole mission a failure in end, having no one vital to count on" Valria decided to tell Heron next, her arms still crossed at the moment.