The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Pangaea

Pangaea · 530 · 44945

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I don’t play a lot of video games, but I have played the LBT games for the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance (both of which I found enormously frustrating). Based on my experiences with those, I think a good LBT game should have the following features:
ï More than one character should be playable, or, at least, the non-playable members of the gang should have significant roles. (The GBA game follows this, but the GBC game does not.)
ï The characters should be...in character :p (in the GBA game, Spike and Petrie appear to speak perfect English :slap)
ï Enemies should be realistic. (In the cave level of the GBC game, falling drops of water can hurt you. :bang)
ï The player should be able to regain lost health.
ï If there is an option for the game to be played at higher levels of difficulty, the harder modes should NOT be made thus by merely having the player start out with less health (especially in a game where it’s impossible NOT to lose health).

Please tell me if I at all misunderstood your question or did not answer it to your satisfaction. (That goes for everyone who asks me questions, by the way. ;))

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
How long have you been interested in dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Longer than I can remember. :rolleyes:

I think I was interested in dinosaurs before I first saw The Land Before Time, but that itself was so long ago that I can't say for certain. (Same principle as the "chicken–egg" conundrum. :p) My favorites back then were Pteranodon and Tyrannosaurus rex, though again I can't recall whether I liked them so much because of Petrie and Sharptooth, or the other way around. :rolleyes

My interests have shifted and fluctuated repeatedly over the years (though, until recently, they always had something to do with animals of one kind or another), and there were times when I wasn't interested in prehistoric life at all, as well as times when I was interested in nothing but. Nowadays, however, my range of interests is much broader, encompassing multiple subjects rather than just a few at once, and prehistoric animals are one of them.

(I suppose not all of this is relevant, but if I had left it at the initial sentence, I figure my answer would have been unsatisfactory. :p)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
He's doing pretty well, as far as I can say (having never owned a kitten before). :) He bats at just about every loose rope-like object in sight (pieces of yarn, shoelaces, telephone cords, computer cables; you name it :p), occasionally spooks me by brushing up against me or jumping on me unexpectedly, and moves around the house so fast that you'd swear he's got teleportation powers. :lol Just the other day none of my family could find him; we looked all over the house, and worried that he might have gotten outside (we had planned to keep him an indoor cat so he doesn't get lost or harm the local wildlife; he's afraid of doors anyway), and after several minutes of nearly panicking, found him asleep under an end table. :lol

(For those of you reading this who don't know, Sasquatch is the new kitten my family adopted a couple weeks ago. Pictures of him can be seen here.)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Do you like heavy metal?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No. :p I actually don't really listen to any kind of music.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I drew it myself. :smile

It's meant to be an LBT-style Lystrosaurus, a dicynodont, and the most abundant and widespread large land animal in all of prehistory. It was one of the few survivors of a mass extinction 250 million years ago (even bigger than the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, killing off up to 70% of all land vertebrates and 96% of all marine species), and as a result it basically had the world to itself. Lystrosaurus was long gone before the first known dinosaurs appeared, but the fact that in its heyday it lived literally all over the continental amalgamation from which my screen name is taken meant that it was a fitting creature to use as my avatar.

Realistically, I probably shouldn't have colored it green, as dicynodonts were more closely related to mammals than reptiles, and probably had glandular skin (possibly even with hair) rather than scales. But I thought green looked good. :p Initially I wasn't sure what to color the eyes, but settled on brown because that's my own eye color. (Other than that and the Lystrosaurus's expression, it doesn't look much like me. :p)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What about "The Three Stooges" caught your interest, aside from the funny as Hades slapstick humor :lol?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Only a few years ago, all I knew about The Three Stooges was that they were outrageously stupid, hit each other a lot, and that one of them (Moe) had a penchant for clunking the others’ heads together. :lol But when I watched my first Stooge short (“False Alarms”, still one of my faves), I quickly discovered another aspect of their comedy that was often just as funny as the physical humor: the language. You’ll notice that in the “Funniest Quotes You've Heard
Funniest Quotes You've Heard” thread, I’ve made no less than four posts devoted to Stooge quotes. Let them do the talking. :p

There's also the Stooge quote in my signature (the only quote at this time which is not my own). While the quote is itself hilarious, my real reason for including it is becauseóas someone who suffers from chronic Writer's Block, frequently draws a blank in the middle of a conversation, and whose brainstorms often fail to whip up more than a light breeze :póit reflects how I feel a lot of the time. :P:

Then there are the insults. While Moe’s put-downs and one-liners are not as elaborate as those of Groucho Marx (my other favorite old-time comedian apart from the Stooges), I often find them to be equally hilarious. One of my all-time favorites was in The Three Stooges Meet Hercules, in which, after hearing a knock on the door, Moe says to Larry:
Open the door, Squirrelbait!
I love this insult not just because it cracks me up on its own, but when you stop and consider what one would use to bait a squirrel, you realize that Moe is actually calling Larry “nuts” in a much funnier way. :lol (Some of my other favorite Stooge insults include “mophead”, “beetlebrain”, and “overstuffed baboon”.)

And, of course, there are the Stooges’ catchphrases. Those are fantastic. :smile I can actually do a pretty accurate imitation of Curly’s “n’yuk-n’yuk-n’yuk!” and “woo-woo-woo!”, :P: and when I want to affirm something, I often say, “soitenly!” :lol Some of my other family members have picked up the same habit. Evidently there’s such a thing as Stooge-itis, and it’s contagious. :p

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Um, has anyone ever mistaken you for a girl? (I did when you first joined here :oops )

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have, actually, :lol by at least two other members. (I won't give their names as I do not wish to embarrass them.) Not sure why that is. :confused I guess I just don't indicate my gender very much.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Are you enjoying playing in your first rp? ^^

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
If you were to be a dinosaur, what kind would you be? (Unrelated to LBT, I mean in the real world)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Rat_lady7: Immensely. :yes I find that I'm having a difficult time anticipating other RPers' posts, and I still find that I become nervous every time another player addresses my character, but I don't plan on quitting the RP any time soon. :smile

Littlefoot1616: I've previously been asked a virtually identical question:
Quote from: Grungecat,Aug 16 2009 on  11:13 PM
If you could be a dinosaur, what dinosaur would you be? Why would you be that one? And would you let me put a dinosaur saddle on you and ride you around?
You can see my answer here. ;)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To my knowledge, there is no actual fossil evidence (e.g., skin impressions) that Pteranodon had hair, but seeing as many other pterosaurs are definitively known to have had it, it probably did. :yes

On a related note, LBT should be proud of itself, because as far as I know, it was the the first (and so far the only) non-scientific film to portray pterosaurs with this characteristic: the small black flyers seen among the spectators at the scene of Littlefoot’s birth in the first movie sport bushy white manes, and in LBT IV, when Petrie puffs himself up with air in a comical attempt to look intimidating in front of Ali (“Petrie verrrrry scary!”), he reveals that the orange ring around his neck is in fact a ruff of bushy fur.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It was a diapsid (a reptile with two openings in the skull behind the eye socket), and, specifically, a member of the suborder Pterodactyloidea, or short-tailed pterosaurs. The exact position of pterosaurs on the reptile family tree is a matter of debate, however; they are most often argued to have been archisauriforms (a group of reptiles that includes crocodiles, dinosaurs, and the specialized feathered dinosaurs we call birds) or relatives of prolacertiforms (a group of vaguely lizard-like reptiles, some of which were capable of gliding). Pterosaurs were not, however, in any way related to birds or bats, though they may have shared a common ancestry with dinosaurs.