The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Day of Remembrance

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's my second one-shot fanfic.  Hope y'all enjoy it :yes!
Disclaimer:  I do not own The Land Before Time franchise or any of its characters, and do not intend to profit from this fanfiction.

A Day of Remembrance

It was just another ordinary morning in the Great Valley.  Faster than the Bright Circle could rise, Cera munched down her breakfast.  Tricia, her little sister, did her best to keep up.  Tria happened to notice the speed Cera was eating at.  
“Sweetie, what’s the rush?  You’re just gonna get another belly pain again.”  
Cera gulped down her last bite.  
“I know, I know.  Can I go play with my friends now?”
“Sure.  Take Tricia with you.”
However, when the two looked down at Tricia, she was curled up in a ball while fast asleep.  Cera looked back up at Tria.
“Well, there’s your answer.  Babies need sleep, after all.”
“Yes, they do.  Have fun, sweetie, and don’t run until your tummy calms down.”
However, Cera was already dashing toward her friends’ meeting place.  She knew Tria meant well, and in turn Cera loved her.  It’s just, she could never have her mother back…  Cera shook her head of that thought as she met up with Ducky, Spike and Petrie.  
“Hey, guys!”
“Good morning, Cera.  I am glad to see you, yep yep yep,” chimed Ducky.
“Morning, Cera!  Me glad you come!” squawked Petrie.
Spike just did his usual “Uh-huh” with a smile.
When Cera looked around, she noticed there was one person missing.
“Guys, have you seen Littlefoot this morning?  He’s usually the first one here.”
The threesome shook their heads in unison.  
“Hmmm…wait right here.  I’ll go find him,” sighed Cera as she shot off toward Littlefoot’s nest.  As she approached the Longneck nest, she could see Littlefoot’s grandparents but no sign of Littlefoot.  The elderly couple noticed Cera right away.
“Hello there, Cera.  What brings you here this early?” greeted Grandma Longneck in a warm fashion.
“Well, I was just looking for Littlefoot.”
“We have not seen him yet, either,” added Grandpa Longneck.  “I wonder where he could be.”
Grandma Longneck thought hard for a few moments.
“Oh, no,” she whispered.
“What is it, dear?” asked Grandpa Longneck in a concerned tone.
“It’s…this is…today’s the day,” Grandma Longneck choked.
“Today’s the day what?” Cera asked calmly.
“See, Littlefoot’s mother died three years ago today.”
Cera swallowed hard and stumbled back a couple of steps.  Vivid flashbacks of Littlefoot’s mother’s death invaded her conscious.  It did not help that she had just eaten her breakfast.  Cera dashed over to some nearby bushes and lost her breakfast there.  The two longnecks lowered their heads down to her level.
“Are you okay, Cera?” soothed Grandpa Longneck.
“I’m not sure.  Tria told me not to run after eating.  I should’ve listened to her,” Cera whimpered.
Grandma Longneck gently nuzzled Cera’s side.
“Take it easy, dear.  Maybe something did not sit well in your belly.”
However, Cera knew it was more than just an uneasy stomach.  She had to find Littlefoot quickly.
“Thanks, you two.  I’ll be fine,” she stated confidently before taking off.  
Cera had to first stop at the Thundering Falls to get a drink and did just that.  As she was lapping up fresh cool water, she glanced up.  She saw none other than Littlefoot lying on a ledge while looking out at the Bright Circle.  He appeared to be in deep thought, and had a sad expression on his face.  Cera looked around and quickly found where Littlefoot had climbed to get to the ledge.  Even though she had shorter legs than him and had a considerably difficult time climbing, Cera managed to finally get to the ledge.  Strangely, Littlefoot had not even noticed her approaching.
“Uh, Littlefoot,” she panted.
“Yikes!” yelped Littlefoot as he jumped up.  “Oh, it’s you, Cera.  Sheesh, you frightened me.”
Cera wanted to make a sarcastic remark but felt this was not the time to do so.
“How did you find me?” Littlefoot asked as he laid back down.  
“I was getting a drink and I noticed you were up here,” Cera remarked as she nestled down next to Littlefoot.  “Littlefoot, I spoke to your grandparents.  I know what’s going on.”
“You did?  I’m sorry if I caused anyone to worry about me.”
“Littlefoot, I know this is not easy for you.  I lost my mother, too.”
“Yeah, but you weren’t responsible for her death!  That does not mean you know what I’m going through!”
Cera hung her head in shame.  “I’m sorry,” she whispered as a stray tear escaped her.
Littlefoot noticed, and wiped the tear away with his snout.
“No, I’m sorry.  You did not deserve that.  I can’t discount your feelings about your loss.  Besides, you never really told me about her.”
Cera thought hard as she recomposed herself.
“All I remember about my mother was that she was very sweet and loving.  She would shield me from any storms and scold my sisters for teasing me about it.  When I would have bad sleep stories, she would sing me to sleep while nuzzling me.  Whenever I had belly aches, she would stay with me until I felt better and nuzzle my belly.  She would also tickle me when she woke me up in the mornings.  That’s about all I remember of her.”
“How did…it happen?” asked Littlefoot in a cautious manner, as he noticed his “tough as nails” best friend was unusually sensitive that morning.
“My father told me she died in another earthshake just after the one we had survived.  Unfortunately, my sisters died in the one we survived.  Sometimes, I wish it was me who had been in her place.”
“Don’t say that, Cera.  Things happen, and we may never know why.  Sometimes, I feel the same way about my mother.”
Cera shuddered at the flashbacks.
“I’m sorry you witnessed her death, Littlefoot.”
“You were there too, Cera.  Do…you ever have scary sleep stories of it?”
“I did, for a while.  I have a lot of sleep stories about my family and friends now.”
“I don’t have as many sleep stories about it anymore, either.”
“Littlefoot, there’s something I should’ve told you long ago,” whispered Cera, looking Littlefoot in the eyes.
“What is it, Cera?  You can tell me anything.”
“Littlefoot, I…I’m sorry…about what I said about her.  I take it back.”
“Is that all, Cera?  I forgave you long ago.  But, it’s still nice to hear those words.  Thanks.”
Cera looked at Littlefoot again.  How one dinosaur could be so compassionate, forgiving and loving was beyond her.  Above all, he was her best friend.
“Well, it was only right that I tell you.”
“Thanks, Cera.  There’s something I want to tell you.”
Cera looked at him in a confused fashion.
“Whether or not you realize it, you’re my best friend.  Even when we grow up, you’ll still be my best friend.”
Cera blinked back tears of happiness.  She knew she had a gruff exterior, but to see how someone dared to be her best friend made her warm inside.
“Littlefoot, you’re my best friend too.  Even though I’ve made bad remarks about longnecks in the past, that’s the old Cera.  You’ll always be my best friend.  Now, should we go meet the others?”
“Nah, I’ll just stay up here a while longer.  It’s beautiful how the Bright Circle is rising this morning.  You can go on if you want.”
However, instead of leaving, Cera moved in closer to Littlefoot.
“I’ll stay here as long as you’re here, Littlefoot.  You’re my best friend, after all.  I’m gonna make sure this day goes well for you.”
“That’s awfully kind of you, Cera.  Very well then, we’ll stay up here.”
The two best friends then rested their heads as they gazed out at the landscape ahead of them.  Without even thinking about it, they fell asleep on the ledge.  All that ran through their sleeping minds were happy memories of their mothers.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Aww...this story actually brought a tear to my eye :cry ...so sweet! Friends are a good thing to have!

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm actually sitting here, crying about it!!  Oh god, Cancerian Tiger, you can WRITE!

*recomposes self*

That was just...  Wow.  That was really GOOD!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That was so moving... :cry
You write well.  Better then the dreck that I write.  

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks, y'all :yes  :^.^:!  Yeah, I've had this in my head for a couple of weeks now and finally had time to write it down.  It would be cool if they put something like this in a sequel B).

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Awsome... As already said, very moving...
You're a great story teller Tiger, keep up the good work will ya?  :^.^:
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Update:  I have revised this fanfic and posted it on Fanfiction.net.  Please read it if you'd like to :).

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Lovely short story CT. :) I found quite a bit of the same writing style in my fan fiction in this one. I suppose it's the emotion of it. I unfortunately was inexperienced with the writing in the first few chapters, where I had my anger out on a few certain characters. :p But I was 13 and much younger when I wrote those chapters. But I am trying to revise them over and over so it doesn't seem so "inexperienced".

I'll look it up on FF.net

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I loved it, absolutely loved it.

I'll be sure to favorite and review it on ff.net.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is really good.   :yes  I rarely see fanfics with this level of emotion.  Plus it was just a sweet story.      :)  Good job.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reviews :yes.  I appreciate them, and I'm glad y'all have enjoyed my fanfic :).