The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I Just Installed Vista on a 1.1ghz celeron!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Okay.  I just installed windows vista ultimate edition on the worst computer ever!  It had these specs:

1.1ghz celeron processor

512mb ram

20gb hard disk

A decent enough graphics card to enable all of vista's advanced features

I just gotta say this:  Vista you are SLOW! :lol After installing vista, I had exactly 121mb of free space on my hard drive. :lol: I could barely install VLC media player and AVG. :rolleyes: sufficed to say, I'm putting xp pro back on this baby. :p I gotta admit, this is worse than the time I installed xp pro on a computer with 266mhz, 64mb ram, and a 2gb hard disk. -_- Surprisingly, it passed the vista check 100%.  Well, it certainly wasn't really ready for vista, that's for sure. :P: Not that I expected it to be, no matter what the thing said.  This was merely an experiment.  

Boot time averaged 6 minutes 22 seconds and when you clicked the start button, it took about 2 seconds to come up.  Then it would load the images in the start button one by one.  Jeeze. :rolleyes:

It's sorta scary when ya think about it.  I've seen laptops in the store with 1.6ghz processors, 512mb ram, and 40gb hard drives that have vista on them. :blink: Of course, it wasn't ultimate and they're not going to be celeron processors, but still.......I hate windows vista so much. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. I had assumed that it would be slow. But only 121 mb left!

Holy crap! Vista is HUGE! When I installed Leopard on my laptop, it said that it would take about 11.6 GB.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Remember folks, this is vista ULTIMATE.  Microsofts signature OS.  It is personally the worst OS I've ever seen.  I'd sooner go to linux than to that hunk of crap. :rolleyes: It's just xp with a bunch of visual stuff that slows it down.  I'll never upgrade to vista on a computer I actually use.  It is indeed very scary that they're releasing computers almost exactly like this with vista on them.  It just goes to show you that the world is NOT ready for vista and probably won't be for 5 years.  Unless you've got some ultimate computer, vista is out of the question.  Problem is, most people who have ultimate computers use them for something important like Action does.  He can't have no stupid OS taking up a gig of his ram just to run and freaking 2ghz to open the my computer window. :rolleyes: Vista is the biggest joke I've ever heard of.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have vista on my 2nd pc, it came with the system.  Later on I plan on getting a sata hard drive and put xp on it since it can likely play video games better, and won't take as long to boot.  No idea if xp can work with a geforce 8500 card in dx9 mode or not.  Guess I"ll find out.  

I'm guessing one of the reasons it was so slow on your pc is that one may barely be able to run vista unlike a faster cpu, with maybe close to the minimum cpu and ram.  Just one possible thing, I"m no expert so I am likely wrong.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Feb 10 2008 on  05:23 PM
Okay.  I just installed windows vista ultimate edition on the worst computer ever!  It had these specs:

1.1ghz celeron processor

512mb ram

20gb hard disk
I had a computer with even worse specs than that. I believe it only had around 90 MB of RAM, and barely 4 GB of space. The processor, I don't remember what it was.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I meant that it was the worst computer I have that could ever dream of even accepting vista.  I've have a computer with 2mb ram, a 35mb hard disk, and a 16mhz processor. :lol It's a collectible.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That does sound like an old one.   I think I still have my first pc, a tandy 1000ex around.

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
Really? Must be something about your computer then. I went to Littlefoot's house today to visit him and he had Windows Vista and it ran pretty fast. No problems or slowdowns or anything. His computer has 2GB of RAM and it impressed me at how well Vista was running on his computer.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, it's impossible to tell how crappy vista is on your computer unless you really take some time with it.  My friend just bought a new computer with vista ultimate and his computer had these specs:

3ghz processor

2gb ram

500gb hard drive

Windows vista ultimate

His computer seemed pretty darned fast.....at least on the surface.  I put the thing into standby accidentally because of those stupid keyboard shortcuts.  When I tried to wake it up, the computer had to visually load every element, like what happens when I tried to install windows 98 on a computer with 8mb of ram.  It took about 2 minutes just to come out of standby.  This is not the only case either.  I've had tons of clients bring me their computers demanding an upgrade, and I've had to tell them that I'll put xp back onto their computers for free because 99% of them are unsatisfied with vista.  Besides, I thought Littlefoot had a 6ghz computer.  No crap it's gonna run on that, but most people only have around 1.6-2.4ghz right now, and vista runs like crap on that.  That's why businesses aren't upgrading to vista.  They'd have to replace all their computers and for what?  A prettier taskbar? :rolleyes:

The only thing microsoft was concerned about was how vista looks it seems.  They gave us some new features, but they're features that are so stupid they're not even worth including in another service pack for xp.  They're like something you'd get from xp's automatic updates and never really notice they're ever there because of their lack of importance.  Here was the only reason for writing vista: money and lots of it.  Bill gates has lost touch with reality.  No crap vista ran great on his machine, but did he even consider that some people don't have freaking 8ghz, 32gb of ram, and 4000gb internal hard drive space to be able to display all that visual crap? :rolleyes: He's really messed up on this one.  No one needs vista because it doesn't give you anything aside from directx10, which only gamers really need.  Yeah, vista is pretty, but it's called just go download some themes.  Vista requires such a super video card, you can be assured all it is is looks.  I'm thinking of not offering vista upgrades anymore because so many people are unhappy and I keep having to double my work by installing xp for free.  I just installed vista on my laptop just cuz I was bored.  it had these specs:

2.2ghz processor

1gb ram

120gb hard disk

This thing was pretty snappy, until I installed some things on it.  It eventually took about 3 full minutes to start by just installing AVG, Spybot, and VLC.  Then I installed photoshop CS3 and I could barely open it.  It took forever!  I can't work under these conditions.  The operating system requires waaaaaay too much.  Let's just say this:

windows vista takes up 16 times the amount of ram that xp did!!!

Windows xp only took up twice the amount of ram than it's predecessor, windows 2000/2000 pro.  Windows vista is too bloated and since you get nothing in return besides a pretty desktop, count me out. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've heard many folks who dislike vista, including some pc video game podcasts I listen to, and one about pc hardware.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
oh, I'll bet.  Vista is incompatible with just about everything.  Gamers seem to like it, but no one else really does unless they have a super computer.  I installed it on my master and it ran like a charm, but I honestly like xp more.  It uses so much less and all you lose is the flashy taskbar, but I use my LBT theme anyway, so vista has no appeal to me at all.

Windows xp got a lot of criticism too in the beginning, but people actually started to like it after a month or so.  So many people still hate vista and the OS is just getting worse and worse.  This goes way beyond just people's lack of desire for change and they're fear of moving beyond what they're accustomed to.  Windows xp has been alive for 7 years now and it's still great.  It's got virtually no kinks in it.  It's just about as perfect as an OS goes.  It does more than enough for us, but microsoft doesn't care about that.  All they care about is if they're going to make more money off of it.  I guess they were losing so much with it because it was so easy to just get a free illegal copy online, but they did no extra security measures with vista.  It was cracked 2 days after it came out on the market and an illegal version was available to download the week it was out. :lol Windows vista is microsofts biggest mistake yet, and I hope they don't repeat that mistake with vienna.  They can't.  They have to learn their lesson.  They know vista is a failure, thats why they're creating a new OS so soon.  No business is upgrading, and let me tell ya, microsoft isn't happy about that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess Vista is like windows me, didn't xp come out a little after me did?    One of the folks on either pc gamer or maximum pc tried vista but he said he removed it since he wanted to be able to actually use his pc.  Funny comment I thought.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, I gotta admit that vista is awesome  because of it's looks, but there's a theme pack you can use that will make EVERYTHING look exactly like windows vista.  Boot screen and all.  I've used it but to no surprise, it slowed down the computer a lot.  Nope.  Visual stuff just isn't worth it to me.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Leopard beats Vista hands down with speed. Speed-wise, I can't tell the difference between Leopard and Tiger on my computer. As for looks, I would still say that Leopard wins out because the looks work well without using a huge amount of RAM. And it still has a lot of awesome features, like Spaces.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Feb 10 2008 on  04:23 PM

1.1ghz celeron processor

512mb ram

20gb hard disk

A decent enough graphics card to enable all of vista's advanced features

I just gotta say this:  Vista you are SLOW! :lol After installing vista, I had exactly 121mb of free space on my hard drive. :lol: I could barely install VLC media player and AVG. :rolleyes: sufficed to say, I'm putting xp pro back on this baby. :p I gotta admit, this is worse than the time I installed xp pro on a computer with 266mhz, 64mb ram, and a 2gb hard disk. -_- Surprisingly, it passed the vista check 100%.  Well, it certainly wasn't really ready for vista, that's for sure. :P: Not that I expected it to be, no matter what the thing said.  This was merely an experiment.  

Boot time averaged 6 minutes 22 seconds and when you clicked the start button, it took about 2 seconds to come up.  Then it would load the images in the start button one by one.  Jeeze. :rolleyes:

It's sorta scary when ya think about it.  I've seen laptops in the store with 1.6ghz processors, 512mb ram, and 40gb hard drives that have vista on them. :blink: Of course, it wasn't ultimate and they're not going to be celeron processors, but still.......I hate windows vista so much. :p
Worst? nah... try installing it on those prehistoric Apple Computers... that exsisted back in the day of Windows 1.5

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Don't hurt those Apples! They are antiques of the computer age.
Anyways, I believe that lbtlover means the worst computer that can handle Vista. Right, Austin?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yes he means the worst computer that still meets Vista specifications.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I just installed vista on a clients computer.  It had these specs:

2.4ghz Athlon processor (that's a very good brand of processor)

2gb ddr2 800mhz ram

200gb hard drive

Well, it seemed to work fine.  He paid me for the OS and my time and he left.  2 days later, he called all mad saying that his computer was slower than before I wiped it.  I took another look at it.  He had only installed maybe 3gb of programs and it was so slow!!!  It took over 4 minutes just to boot.  I checked for viruses and infections but there were none.  He had me put xp back on his machine and then he was all happy again.  Can vista run on any normal computer that's not freaking 20ghz!?! :angry:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I have Vista on my Laptop that I bought only a few days ago. E-Systems

1.7ghz celeron
1GB RAM
80GB hard drive
Vista Home Preimum (bad spelling)

I have installed a fair set of programs on it and it hasn't really slowed down on it.

Programs I have.

All the stuff needed to protect the computer from virus or inturdision threats.
Adobe Photoshop 7.0
OpenOffice
MSN Messenger
Earth 2160 (a game that i can finally play that I bought over a year ago!  :lol )
DivX
Direct3D

these part from the game I installed is what I basically need on my Laptop. Nothing major in programs and it hardly going to be used on the internet. Since I plan to use it to write my stories and do my overlay drawing of my drawings that I scan onto the computer. And this is what I am taking as well to the states with me.
My only problem was at the start. the stupid shop forgot to install the graphics card data so when I had it for the first day I had basic graphics but now it all fixed and it all seems well :)