The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Building a new master computer

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well, I've decided to build myself a new master computer to see what I can live with.  My main master computer I have now has had some overheating problems.  I've fixed the overheating problems, but I've gotten used to the system I was using to replace it.  I was thinking I could just add my older master onto my server and put this new one into effect.  I think this new system will do nicely.  Here is it's processor:

It is a P4, but it's a dual core 3.2ghz which would be a step up from my old master that had a single core 3.0ghz athlon processor and another single core 1.8ghz processor.  The board is the only thing that concerns me.  It can only handle up to 4gb of ram, whereas my older motherboard could handle up to......I think it was 32gb....maybe 16gb.  I could of course put 8gb of ram into it even though the board says it can only handle up to 4gb.  I've done such things before, but it does make the boards have a shorter lifespan.  I haven't been able to find a motherboard that can support this processor out there.  It is by far the oddest processor I've ever seen, having an absolutely huge fan to cool it.  Can anyone help me find a motherboard that will support this processor?  The motherboard must be able to handle at least 8gb of ram though.

As for this computer, I've only got 1gb of ram in it and I gotta say it's hurting a lot.  I can't do much of anything in photoshop CS3.  I want to get more ram, but I don't want to buy ram for this old motherboard if I'm just going to upgrade it anyway.  I got this computer with a package deal for only $140.  It came with the a 3.2ghz dual core processor, 1gb of ram, and a 500gb hard drive.  I'm trying to save money here, but I need a new board.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which board I should buy?  I've looked at all my places, but this processor seems to be very odd indeed.

If I can't find another board that can fit this processor, I'll have to sell this computer.  I can live with 4gb of ram now, but I probably won't be able to in the future. -_-

EDIT:  I just discovered that the processor that's in this computer does not support 64 bit architecture.  Oh well.  I'll just beef it up to 4gb of ram and sell it with vista ultimate edition on it. ;) No sense keeping a computer that can only handle 4gb of ram. :rolleyes: It was worth a try though.  No wonder I couldn't find a motherboard for it that would support more than 4gb of ram. :lol An admin can delete this thread.  It looks like I'm going back to my old master after all.