The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Font

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
While working on a land before time project I had to find a font as similar as possible to that traditionally used on the land before time title lines on videos, movie posters etc. For a very long time the font Cooper Black was regarded as very similar to the LBT fond. I guess I contributed to the widespread association of the font Cooper Black with the land before time by parroting the claim of it being the most similar font we have. However, during my work with the LBT project I found that bold type "Bookman Old Style" is much closer to the LBT fond than the more rounded Cooper Black is.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I love the font "copper std black"!  I commonly use it to type reports on for school because it's much larger than "times new roman" and I can easily get away with it! :D All the teachers have caught on to the "arial" and "arial black" fonts and will mark you down for it, but they've never marked me down for using "copper std black" and I've written about 35 reports now in that font this year alone! :D I've always thought it looked like the LBT font. :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Cooper Black font matches that found on the LBT Sing-Along CD labeling and text found in the little booklet.  Other than that, Cooper Black really doesn't have much connection to LBT.  The text in the end credits is somewhat different from Cooper Black.

Interesting find on the "Bookman Old Style" Malte. :yes  I'll check into that.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I honestly can't see the resemblance between bold-style "Bookman Old Style" and the LBT font.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here is a little picture I took with the land before time line from the official webpage next to the same line in Cooper Black (above) and bold Bookman Old style (below). I must admit that Cooper Black does not look so different as my post suggested while Bookman Old Style does not look so similar. Cooper Black seems somewhat too rounded while Bookman Old Style looks too angular. The actual LBT script seems to be somewhere between those two.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'll be honest. The first "Cooper Std Black" reminds me more of the LBT font than bold "Bookman Old Style."

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 24 2007 on  11:03 AM
I love the font "copper std black"!  I commonly use it to type reports on for school because it's much larger than "times new roman" and I can easily get away with it! :D All the teachers have caught on to the "arial" and "arial black" fonts and will mark you down for it, but they've never marked me down for using "copper std black" and I've written about 35 reports now in that font this year alone! :D I've always thought it looked like the LBT font. :D
As a teacher, I say don't do that.  Come college (if that's in your future) you won't get away with it.

Both cooper black and bookman are pretty close.  There won't be any "actual" LBT font so close is good enough. :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't guess a font file of the actual thing exists. It would be good if it did.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'll bet I could create it.  I don't know exactly what language you program a font in, but I'm sure there's some simple programs that could do the trick.  I've created very simple programs such as my own web browsers using C++ and sometimes visual basic.  Perhaps I'll try creating an LBT font one day. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Funny though that they should create a whole new font for the movie. Perhaps there is that kind of more angular cooper black or more rounded bookman old style, we just don't know what the scribes would call it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think I know what you're talking about. On LBT 11, they started using a different font than the old one for the movie titles.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 To make a report using a font like the LBT titles, well that shouldn't be a problem if you tell nobody it is from a movie, and if you don't overuse it too, so I don't think that's a great problem unless you are told to use a specific font.
 If you can tell me where to get that font, I may try and risk myself using it in university reports :p .