The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

First online references to LBT

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just the other day I was wondering when was LBT mentioned on the Internet for the first time. So I started searching through old newsgroups, and I found this.

The Land Before Time appears on a list of romantic movies on March 20th 1989. Quite old, isn't it?

Also in 1989 there are a number of other discussions where it was mentioned, and for the first time there are Internet users to whom LBT is the best movie of all time, the first online fans.

And in 1990 there was a rumor circulating that Bluth was working on Land Before Time 2, in fact, the movie was supposed to be in post-production (it is listed with a bunch of movie titles that did eventually appear), but now we know that it wasn't true, alas.

In 1991 and 1992 discussions get more varied, including a request for GIFs from LBT, and discussions on the supposed Horner's plagiarism of works of other composers.

If you want to search a particular year, use this search format

"land before time" before:YYYY/MM/DD after:YYYY/MM/DD

By 1995 LBT appeared in a number of various discussions, but there was no dedicated LBT discussion group.

I thought you would be interested in this blast from the early Internet past.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's really interesting, Jansanov. I haven't searched much, but I'll have to get to searching some more later.

"Rent the tape when it comes out and watch it at least 8 or 9 times or
Sharptooth will come and eat you."

Lol. It's good to know the early fans had a good sense of humor, too. :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Intereststing indeed :yes
These are pages I didn't even come across when back in the late 1990s I searched the web for land before time related pages. In 1990 or prior to that very few private people actually had internet access. It used to be mostly a students thing. Exelent find Hrvoje :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That is extremely interesting, Jansanov.  There is literally a treasure trove of the early history of the fandom out there.  I particularly enjoy this post from 9/12/89:

Just a reminder, the greatest animated film ever created (and my personal
favorite), The Land Before Time, premieres in video stores across the
country Thursday, Sept. 14. Buy six, buy nine, or just rent the tape and
have everyone play the "Great Valley" drinking game.
And if you order now,
Pizza Hut will throw in a pizza at no extra charge. So rush on down to
your favorite video place for a Land Before Time videorama before they
sell out.

It is nice to know that a drinking game existed for the series as early as 1989.  Now that is a fan who shares two of my interests: LBT and alcohol.  :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ I laughed at that too, rhombus!

Great find jansenov :) It's funny to see how much the web has changed since then.