The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

ask me about military history

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I looked but could not find anything about a war lasting 72 hours

I think it was when Israel were attack by a few contries. But the plan backfired, and after 72 hours, Israel were victorious
I'm not entirely sure about this, but this is at least what I've heard.

Where the T-34 more efficient than the Tiger... except for outnumbering the Tiger?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The T-34 had a better power/weight ratio, longer range, and a faster speed than the tiger. It also cost less the the Tiger to produce.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What is current state of Russia as a military power and the inheritor of the Soviet war machine?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
In WW2, what's the typical number of a fully armed fleet?  Or does it vary among countries?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The typical number could be up to 10 or more ships. It varied among the nations and on how many ships they had.

As for the first question the russian military has been drasticaly weakened snice the fall of the Soviet Union many of the ships in it's navy are 30+ years old.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I remembered in WW2, the Japanese planned to use balloons with bombs and send them across the Pacific to the United States.  How many actually made it?  And could the Roswell "incident" may have been connected?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
over 9,000 balloons were launched. 10% (around 900) were expected of to reach America 300 balloon bombs were found and it is likely there are still more in the forests of the pacific northwest. Over all they caused little damage and a few were destroyed or captured by the Army. it was connect to the Roswell Incedent because the Army said it was a weather baloon and some of the evidence supports this. On a side note a group of 5 school children found one and 1 adult were killed when one of them blew up they were the only deaths caused by the baloon bombs.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
What are the pros and cons of whether submachine guns use pistol rounds or rifle rounds?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
How did you choose the names for your Darwin's Soldiers characters (HAns and Werner)?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well the pros of submachine guns having pistol round are they have some hitting power but not as much as a rifle round would. The cons of it having rifle round would be you would have better range and stopping power but you would have to enlagre the weapon and if you did that it would no longer be a viable close quaters weapon.

To answer the second one I chose werner's name after the character Lt werner from Das Boot and I chose Han's name because my Oc Frank Anderson is German and had the name Hans before he moved to the US and changed his name to Frank.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
If there were a movie of Darwin's Soldiers made, who would you want to play Hans and Werner?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would want Thomas Kretschmann to play Hans I'm not sure who I'd want to play werner.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
How well does that new Russian fighter jet perform in comparison with modern American fighters?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Have you thought of an actor for Werner yet? We're discussing a fictional movie in the Darwin's Soldiers RP right now, so if you know of an actor for Werner I'd like to post it.

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
What is the operational range for a US Navy WWII PT boat? Say, a Elco 80'. Can these vessel operate in the ocean, or just near the coasts?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
answer to ? 1 the PAK FA in comparison to the F-15 and F-16 it is more advanced. in comparison to the F-22 and F-35 they are pretty much equal though the PAK FA lacks a gun on the prototype but it has provision for a cannon and it's new radar will reduce pilot work load time but will tell how well it is against the F-22 and F-35.

answer to ? 2 I'd want Shia LaBeouf to play him I guess.

answer to ? 3 Well they mostly stayed close to their island bases could go into open water as was the case with the PT boat that carried General Douglas Mcarthur from the Philippines to Australia.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Why do you, F-22, think are military inventions the allies developed during WW2 (such as the British Gloster Meteor and the American F-80 Shooting Star) so often disregarded while so much attention is given to some inventions that were planned by the nazis but (in many cases) never got so much as a prototype?

I know you are interested in modern military planes and I think in planes of WW2 (maybe also WW1?) as well. Are you also interested in the pilots and aces who flew those planes?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I think that the inventions developed by the allies during world war 2 are disregarded because the German designs were much more advanced than the allies inventions.

I'm interested in military planes in general mostly word war 2 to present day but WWI planes deserve credit like the Fokker D VII since it was the best fighter of WW1. As for the aces I am interested in the aces and pilots who flew them but Erich Hartmann is one of the most interesting.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Well I think that the inventions developed by the allies during world war 2 are disregarded because the German designs were much more advanced than the allies inventions.
Not really true. The F-80 Shooting star was superior to the Me-262 in pretty much every respect.
I do not doubt the fact that scientists in Germany did come up with some important innovations, but it sometimes puzzles me how the work of allied technicians is often overlooked.
As for the aces I am interested in the aces and pilots who flew them but Erich Hartmann is one of the most interesting.
As I was (still am) very interested in the history of aviation and hoped to make some interviews with surviving aces I tried to contact him many years ago, but but by that time he was already dead for several years and so was his adjutant whom I tried to contact as well. Some others aces were still alive at the time and I could exchange some letters and in one case make an oral history interview which I recorded on tape.