The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Future Is Much Different Than We Think

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've been looking a lot at computers and technology lately.  Take a look at Microsoft's surface technology:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b_MKMDLNXgg

This may be big crap that only large companies can afford right now, but this is gonna sneak into our homes very quickly.  It's kickass, but I must say that I prefer a mouse and keyboard.  Sure, it's nice with pictures and maps, but that's about it.  *sigh*.  I wish we could just have a computer that worked and we could rely on for a decade.  I guess that's never gonna happen. <_< I for one am sick and tired of upgrading my technology.  I mean, I wake up every day and I say to myself "wow, that computer is old." I didn't buy it long ago, but it's already and old piece of junk.  For example, 2 years ago I bought a computer with an Athlon64 processor 2.4GHZ single core with 1gb of ram(but I upgraded it to 2gb, which was its maximum), and a 200GB hard drive.  It's already an old piece of crap and I've barely used it. :(

My main concern is how the heck am I supposed to repair something like that?!? :unsure:  :cry

EDIT:  BTW, what do you think the specs on that coffee table are?  I'm guessing it has like five quad-core 4GHZ processors, at least 128GB of ram, and at least 2TB just for the OS.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This will likely eventually come down to the consumer level.  Likely among the first examples will be laptops.  They will not need a separate keyboard since you can press an icon on the screen in one corner and call up a virtual keyboard and start typing on the screen.  And the laptop will not need a mouse or touchpad since you can use the screen for that.  Laptops and notebooks will resemble larger pda's with their touchscreen.  Though the problem like  landbeforetimelover said is if the multitouch screen goes out you'd have to replace is, and many likely will not know how, or do like most will do and toss it out and buy a new one.  Likely it will eventually work down to the desktops which may look similar to the way they do now, with a tower, but instead of a keyboard, speakers, mouse & monitor it's just a the tower and the multitouch screen device, with built in speakers & some ports.

Another neat thing I read about a few months ago that is as far as I know only in the laboratory testing phase is what some who know of Nikola Tesla may call beamed power, though with a difference.  Instead of having to plug your cellphone, pda, into a charger or your mp3 player (if it is of the li-on battery line mine have) you can instead have it charge as long as it is in the same room, or within a certain distance from the charger station thing.   They don't think it'll be enough to power a device turned on, but likely may be able, someday when the tech is perfected, be able to charge it without needing to be plugged into the charger, just have it in the same room as the station.  I forgot the technical details, something about using radio wave and something else.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh lord...at the moment we have to upgrade PCs on a regualr basis....but soon we'll have to be upgrading the whole house on a regular basis? I can't help but feel that some of the uses suggested are a bit gimicky.