The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Do you think there's any chance...?

Ratiasu · 32 · 3686

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As a result, I have no need to manually reproduce the entire Opening music to LBT 11. I can show you how it turned out if you want. Just PM or MSN me.
Okay, I now have a very easy way to share any of my sound clips!  After some hunting for software, I finally have a combination that lets me send out this music as nice, easy to play, MP3 files (or wavs if you desire) B)

This is interesting! Would this work on any mixture of music and dialogue, so that, once you have more time again, the method could be used to get hold of the parts of the original movie's music which weren't included in the official soundtrack?
Unfortunately, this is really only beneficial for me because there are some severe limitations.  In the case of LBT 11's opening, I was able to remove absolutely all of the spoken words and most of the sound effects.  The results in most cases would not be especially good.  If all of the LBT films used surround sound, it would be easier but unfortunately they don't all.  This is because of the technique I used to do this:

Some DVDs contain 6 or more sound "channels", one for each speaker.  In stereo systems, two speakers (left and right) are used.  In an average surround sound system, 6 speakers are used:  Front left, Center, front right, rear left, rear right and a subwoofer for bass effects.  The center channel is normally used for dialog while the other speakers play back music, effects, etc.

See where I'm going with this? :P:

In the case of the LBT 11 opening, nearly all the non-musical elements were played on the center speaker.  I simply used VLC media player to take a rip of All 6 channels of LBT 11's opening (thanks again for pointing this player out to me, Petrie.  It has been a life saver!).  To do this, I just set VLC to save all incoming sound data into a 6-channel WAV file and then I hit Play on the DVD and recorded the opening section of the film.  I then went into a multi-channel wave editor, whcih lets me see each of the 6 channels graphically.  From here, I can actually mute or remove channels.  I simply disabled the Center channel, leaving behind nothing but music. B)  I then converted this new file into a 2-channel (stereo) MP3, for easy distribution and play-back, free of the voices and center-focused sound effects.  The file size? About 3 MB for 2 minutes at 192 kb/s, 48kHz (DVD quality) Stereo.

I have a completed MP3 using this procedure: Beyond the Mysterious Beyond from LBT 7.  Some light vocals are left behind becase the audio mixer who put the audio to the film itself left some "echoy" effects on the left and right channels to fill out the sound of the vocals during the song.  I have no way of removing this.  The vocals are very transparent and quite pleasant, however. This MP3 will be extremely useful when working on a MIDI of "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" though! :D

It can be downloaded here:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...72CD0CA2AAC9538
[EDIT] The link appears to be expired.  I will send this file to anyone who is interested. [/EDIT]

Sorry the music is so quiet.  I forgot to bump up the volume before I uploaded it! :lol

The LBT 11 opening came out even better than this but it's not ready to be released yet.  I'll post it up tomorrow. B)

This little trick works very well for things like introductions because the voices never come from off-screen, meaning they're all played over the centre speaker.  In many other situations, it will be impossible to remove all noise from the music.

Another serious problem is that this technique Only works on DVDs that contain surround sound data.  The LBT films 1, 7, 9 (I think), 10, and 11 are the only ones that do.  2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are only stereo sources, which means my technique of muting a speaker simply won't work because the speaker doesn't exist in the source audio to begin with.  This trick doesn't work at all on CDs or VHS tapes either.

This technique is mainly beneficial to me because it will let me mute or lower the volume of the singing and speaking in the songs, making it much easier to hear the music when replicating the songs and music.  LBT 11 is one of the few cases where the result sounds good enough that others may benefit from it.  I suspect LBT 7, 9 (if it has surround sound) and 10's openings will sound fine as well.

In short, this technique is a quick fix to make a decent-sounding piece of music but it doesn't solve all the problems.  The only way to truly remove all of the unwanted sounds is to rewrite the music out of the context of the film.  That is my plan, eventually!  I know I keep saying that and I Do plan to get around to it someday!  It is a lot of work, and I am having a hard time finding time for such a huge project.

I'll post a link to the LBT 11 Opening with no voices, shortly.  I need to go to bed so I can't finalize that tonight.  Oh, and the guy who mixed the music in LBT 11 didn't do a very good job! :lol  He left some annoying elements in order to "correct" volume balancing and whatnot.  The most obvious issues are the sudden instant changes in volume on the music tracks.  It's very clear that he is trying to make room for voices but it sounds horribly unnatural on its own. :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here is the link to the LBT 11 opening, ripped off the original DVD with the center channel removed.  A few sound effects are still left but they were impossible to remove using this technique.

224 kb/s 48kHz stereo MP3 format with noise reduction to remove background hissing:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...5633DA447C620AF

Enjoy. :wow

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
That sounds amazing for all the work you did.  B)  Does fade in and out a bit.

Really I'm amazed at the process you had to do just for a 1:57 seconds of audio.  Also, I see no reason why you would need to bother with LBT 1 since the cd soundtrack is what is on the film.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Also, I see no reason why you would need to bother with LBT 1 since the cd soundtrack is what is on the film.
I agree completely.  I have no intention of doing any work with the LBT 1 soundtrack.  I was simply stating that this technique was *possible* on the LBT 1 DVD because it contains 5.1 source audio.

That sounds amazing for all the work you did. Does fade in and out a bit.
This is about as lazy as one can get for getting a soundtrack out of a movie without buying a CD. :P: The fading is probably the work of the audio mixer, making room for dialogue and whatnot.

Really I'm amazed at the process you had to do just for a 1:57 seconds of audio.
Maybe so, but it doesn't take any more work to produce 10 minutes of audio.  The procedure is quite a few steps but a longer or shorter audio clip isnt' any more difficult (except longer clips take more computer power to work with since it needs to store more data in RAM, process more data, etc).

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I downloaded it, and I am...very happy. Great work, action! I don't mind the sound effects that much.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I downloaded it, and I am...very happy. Great work, action!
I'm glad you liked it. :yes  I feel a bit lazy leaving this music like this.  I just have so much on my plate to work on, LOL. :p

I don't mind the sound effects that much.
I may finish my custom remake of the LBT 11 opening sometime but it's not high on my list of priorities right now.  When I get that complete, you can say goodbye to the sound effects completely! :p  It takes a long time to accurately reproduce music from scratch, especially with crappy headphones!  Grrrr, I need to replace these someday...  :angry:  :P:  Too loud in the midrange, no bass response at all, low power handling...they just make my life....interesting! :lol

Anyone wanna lend me $200 for a set of headphones? :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Really a nice job Tim!  :yes
Also, I see no reason why you would need to bother with LBT 1 since the cd soundtrack is what is on the film.
When I made my suggestion I was refering to those melodies from the original movie which they left out on the original soundtrack. For example the melody played after the scene in which they discovered the rock that looks like a longneck, before the quarrel between Littlefoot and Cera.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
When I made my suggestion I was refering to those melodies from the original movie which they left out on the original soundtrack.
I'll look into this tomorrow, Malte.  I think I know what music you are referring to and I shall see how nicely it rips out of the DVD.  I'll post my results probably by Friday, your time. B)

The bad news about all of this is that my multi-channel WAV editor, the program I need in order to remove the centre channel, is only a 30-day trial.  I'll rip all of the audio I can from the DVDs until my trial runs out.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My apologies for being sooo slow on posting this up! :slap
Here's the scene in the original LBT that Malte was mentioning.  The music in this scene is not found on the LBT soundtrack.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...604BFEF0EAD1B51

Is this the scene you were referring to, Malte?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi Tim!
Thank you very much for taking the trouble!
The music I was refering to is played right after the scene from which you took the music. While they are climbing up the mountains beyond the rock that looks like a longneck (hoping to see the Great Valley on the other side) there is a melody with some suspension to it. The melody ends in a kind of sudden disillusionment when they reach the top of the mountain to find that there is no Great Valley on the other side.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oops!  Well, let me try that again: :P:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...F76586167CD29C3

This is the scene immediate after the clip I recently posted.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot!  :)
This clip included the part of the music which was not included on the soundtrack.