The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Obscure games you would like to recommend

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Yeah, another one of those threads :p

Now, by "obscure" I don't necessarily mean "indie" or "totally unknown" (although those categories still apply here) but more like "overlooked", "critically panned" and "not so well sold", to name a few.

Now, my champion on this category will have to be "Strife". This was a game released with the Doom Engine as late as 1996 (yeah, about the same time in which both Quake and Duke Nukem 3D were out there, no wonder why this game got overlooked). But aside for being a little off of the graphic competition by the time it was released, this was a pretty darn good game.

It is a FPS/RPG hybrid with three open finals, a lot of TOP-NOTCH voice acting (yes!) and a really great story with solid gameplay, and some nice music to go with it. On top of all that, the game is frankly huge, with lots of extra areas you can visit just because and a very polished experience point system.

The game is Abandonware now too, so it is easy to get (and the developers are fine with it).

How about you, guys? What game would you recommend to your fellow GOF members?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I checked out some gameplay footage of Strife, and it doesn't really seem like the kind of game I'd get. I like FPS, but I'm not a huge fan of the old Doom-style shooters. I can play them off and on of course, but not for long periods of time.

As for games I'd recommend, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not entirely sure which games in my library were a success in someway, and which were flops. I'll probably make another post if I decide on a game.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 16 2015 on  12:16 PM
I checked out some gameplay footage of Strife, and it doesn't really seem like the kind of game I'd get. I like FPS, but I'm not a huge fan of the old Doom-style shooters. I can play them off and on of course, but not for long periods of time.

As for games I'd recommend, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not entirely sure which games in my library were a success in someway, and which were flops. I'll probably make another post if I decide on a game.
Well, Strife IS a little harder to play than your average "Doom-style FPS" (not AS ridiculous as the first System Shock or Ultima Underworld however, but definitely harder than, let's say, Heretic). And there are a few instances in which the game becomes unbeatable if you are not careful enough. So I wouldn't recommend it to you if you are not that interested in the genre (because it also takes long to beat... really long).

Another one to add to the list would be... Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (GBA), the little brother of the classic BK. This game is so much fun, I love it! (although, I can't quite place it in the franchise... I THINK it happens in between both N64 games, but I honestly don't know -it also doesn't help that I haven't played the later one-).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I remember trying to play System Shock once. I didn't get far. Not because it was hard (I didn't even get that far), but it was because of the awkward controls.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I'd recommend an RPG called 'Nier'. The graphics might be a little off, but it has awesome characters, a beautiful soundtrack, great voice acting and one of the best stories in any game I've played.

It's set in a world where humanity is dying out, and weird shadow monsters are roaming around. After you beat the game once, you can replay it another 4 times and each time gives you more information about the story. By the end, your perspective about who's right and who's wrong gets completely reversed. It gets quite emotional :p

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Jan 16 2015 on  02:03 PM
I'd recommend an RPG called 'Nier'. The graphics might be a little off, but it has awesome characters, a beautiful soundtrack, great voice acting and one of the best stories in any game I've played.

It's set in a world where humanity is dying out, and weird shadow monsters are roaming around. After you beat the game once, you can replay it another 4 times and each time gives you more information about the story. By the end, your perspective about who's right and who's wrong gets completely reversed. It gets quite emotional :p
That's sounds amazing, bushwacked! I will be in the lookout for that game C:

I remember trying to play System Shock once. I didn't get far. Not because it was hard (I didn't even get that far), but it was because of the awkward controls.

Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with the game. I know that there's an EPIC history just ahead of me, but I can't even walk straight on the game due to the clunky controls. I often, almost universally, just end up being murdered by an army of robots (robots?) that I can barely see.

Buuuuuuut I can't really blame everything on the controls, as I got pretty far on Ultima Underworld, and it's basically the same thing. I don't know, maybe it's because that game has LESS enemies to fight or bashing things with a sword seems fairer than gun battles. Both games are a maze though, and I hate mazes, so I most likely never going to see the endings :p

Another game to the list: Dogfight: 80 Years of Aerial Warfare (1993, DOS). It has pretty much every war of the century (you would be surprised, especially if you are tired of the same WW1/WW2 thing) and it lets you create your own profile to earn ranks and medals... too bad that your character dies and there's no way to bring him/her back (and that they are sometimes very cheap deaths, like crashing into the floor while using the auto-pilot to chase a moving target).

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Lost Eden should be worth checking out for any dinosaur fan. It's a point-and-click adventure with elements of strategy. It's been made by the same people who made Dune, and the mechanics are similar. Some backstory: the entire story is actually being told by Eloi, an old pterosaur (I think a Pteranodon), who recalls events from years ago. You play as Adam, a young prince from a famous human dinasty who has just reached maturity. Your father, the king, rules over a great fortress, the last remnant of a once advanced globe-spanning combined human-dinosaurian civilization. Outside the fortress walls the world is dominated by a tyrannosaurian army, which your father has given up on fighting long ago. The fortress population now mostly consists of humans and other primates, since there's been a fallout with the dinosarus and only few of them still live with humans. One of them is the aforementioned Eloi, who is now a middle-aged, but energetic and ever optimistic envoy, courier and diplomat. Eloi tells you there is a dinosaur waiting outside, a young Parasaurolophus, a compassionate, but goal-oriented seeress who reveals bits and pieces of a plan that could restore the might of the old civilization, and urges you to explore further. This will eventually lead you to the far ends of the world, and see many shocking things on your journey... The feel of the game is vaguely reminiscent of Dinotopia, but only vaguely. It is actually much darker and more mystical, as it involves communication with the dead, bizzare-looking characters, a creepy villain who taunts you repeatedly throughout the game, and explicit and implicit gore, topped all with a haunting soundtrack. You lead a retinue of characters with whom you can hold (scripted) conversations with by clicking on them. Some of them also have valuable abilities you will need make use of in various situations. The game does allow some flexibility in your interactions with the other characters, but if you go too far you can mess the game up. In that case you will have to star from the last save. By the way the recommendation is to save often, and since there can be only 3 saves at a time, move all save files from the game's save folder to a folder you've created for that purpose. The strategy part of the game is rather simple, and uses a map navigation system that gets some using to, but is actually practical once you get the gist of it. The game features fantastic 3D animation scenes for the year 1995. Even today they don't look all that bad. The greatest flaw of the game is its shortness. A dedicated player can finish it in 5 hours or less. The story is also cringeworthy in some parts (one character forcibly and hastily replaced with another). The strategy part can also get repetitive at times.

The game is to be played in DOSBox, and the game speed settings should be set 9000 cycles or more to have smooth animation.

Also, you will not be able to hear the whole soundtrack in the game, but it has some very interesting parts (it sounds quite unlike soundtracks in modern games), so a visit to YouTube is recommended.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Lost Eden definitely sounds interesting, jansenov! Thanks for the recommendation! (and for the technical notes... these are going to save time).

As for my next game... Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures it's actually funny, if you can actually believe that. Granted, the game was made to be a time-killer, a glorified version of games like Minesweeper and Hearts, but it generates your adventures randomly every time you start it, and the puzzles are quite funny to solve (I also heard that it runs smoothly on modern hardware, which I wasn't expecting it to do).

One more: Brutal Paws of Fury: if you are into animals fighting each other for the glory, then this is for you (the game actually has a story, but It doesn't really matters). This is an action-packed tournament fighter with lots of combos to be performed and a lot of great -and sympathetic- characters to choose from... it is kind of unfair once you reached the later levels, but it's definitely worth a try (in fact, I'm gonna play it right now).

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Impossible Creatures is this awesome RTS from Microsoft back in the day. You created your own units by combining two animals, and there were like two dozen animals to choose from so the possibilities were staggering. Some of my favorite animals were Scortures (vultures with scorpion heads and tails, great for swarms), antobsters (ants with lobster claws which could burrow underground and deal massive damage to buildings), Killenas (hyenas with killer whale heads and flippers, a decently cheap but powerful tanker that could swim), and chamels (camel chameleons had the best stamina and could turn invisible). Actually fighting was maybe 40% of the game, the rest was being in the creature combiner and making your army units beforehand.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jan 17 2015 on  03:10 PM
Impossible Creatures is this awesome RTS from Microsoft back in the day. You created your own units by combining two animals, and there were like two dozen animals to choose from so the possibilities were staggering. Some of my favorite animals were Scortures (vultures with scorpion heads and tails, great for swarms), antobsters (ants with lobster claws which could burrow underground and deal massive damage to buildings), Killenas (hyenas with killer whale heads and flippers, a decently cheap but powerful tanker that could swim), and chamels (camel chameleons had the best stamina and could turn invisible). Actually fighting was maybe 40% of the game, the rest was being in the creature combiner and making your army units beforehand.
If it weren't for the fact that it's an RTS, I'd try to check this game out.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Remember this one?:

Not exactly "obscure" but the very definition of "critically panned". The funny thing is that I have heard so many bad things about this thing, that I actually went and played it; and I kinda, sorta liked it (when it didn't turn into a frustrating maze, that is... it also crashed a lot).

I can definitely see why so many people hate it with such passion (it mustn't have been funny to pay full-price for the game back in the day, when it was barely functional and no patch was even available -it didn't even have a good save feature yet-). But if you somehow make it past the first episode (which is so ugly that it can turn off most players by itself) then you have a pretty good game actually (The Norwegian and Greek stages are supreme).

I wouldn't recommend it, but I can definitely say that its NOT THAT BAD.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Currently playing through Two Worlds, and enjoying it a lot more than I had expected. If you can look past the horrible voice acting and the lame plot, the open world is amazing and the quests aren't boring or repetitive. Loving it!