The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My LBT 2 Sequel Suggestion

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
I've always though LBT 1 was better without a sequel, since it was pretty conclusive. Well, if there HAD to be a sequel, here's my take on how it should have gone. And yes, I do feel bad ripping into something that was dedicated to a dead guy. Anyway, here are the rules I've set for myself:
1. Approximately the same budget.
2. Same voice actors as the existing sequel.
3. I have to incorporate a prehistoric mango into the script.

So here are my suggestions:
1. No songs. There were none in the original, there should be none here.
2. Give the voice actors better direction. Ducky is especially poor in this. Maybe I'm just thinking of Judith Barski during her lines, but even so, it's pretty painful for other reasons. Which leads me to:
3. Avoid one-liners. Watch the sequel again and tell me what you think of the dialogue that occurs after a dangerous moment. It's all one-liners. Such as "Don't worry, I caught her", "No, I caught YOU!". Haha, we almost died, lawl. The original movie kept the danger and comedy separate so that the tone wouldn't be jumbled and confused.
4. Keep Ozzy or Strut, but make them silent and uglier. Remember in the first movie when an egg-stealer stole LF? He had warty hands, which is very Don Bluth-ish. Since an egg-stealer was shown during the credits, it makes sense to bring it into play.
5. Keep the Sharpteeth, but make the Chomper story arc more poignant. Making the STs sympathetic is a good idea, but for one thing, Chomper needs to be dumber. He is, after all, a hatchling. He shows way too much understanding of LF's words at times, which is odd and distracting. Maybe the ST's should have been in the valley sooner, fighting with the adults. Then the kids could once again show the adults that racism is wrong. Bam! Reinforced the moral.
6. Mysterious Beyond is not called the Mysterious Beyond. It was the dinos' homes for the majority of LBT 1, so it's not really mysterious.
7. Cera's dad's racism is explored as a B story, again reinforcing the moral and also creating conflict.

Now, obviously these changes would still keep the nareative's scope less impressive than the orginial, but I'm being realistic here. But then again, my opinion is invalid since I forgot to include the mango.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The mango? What do you mean?
I didn't have as much of a hard time with the second movie back then when I first watched it and I got to get it credit for reawakening my interest in LBT back then in 1998.
What I do think should have been included and which would have opened up an entirely new dimension of the plot (alas one that would probably have been too complex for them), is Littlefoot's comming to terms with Chomper rather than falling for him the moment he sees him. Seriously, just very recently his mother had been killed by a sharptooth and the entire atmosphere in the original movie was a lot grimmer. It would have been more credible if Littlefoot hadn't received Chomper quite so welcoming leaving Cera to do the job as the "racist". Though to be fair, with relationships of species one of which usually feeds on the other I don't think the term "racism" covers the problem.
Speaking of the grimmer elements in the original movie, I think LBT 2 (as well as the other Roy Alan Smith movies) still had a glimpse of that grimmer atmosphere; for example by showing the mysterious beyond as a land of death and decay. It would have been helping to stress that a little more.
One point I disagree with is making the villains mute and ugly. Having villains able to talk give a whole lot more possibilities and so does not having "villain" written all over them. In fact Ozzy and Strut could have been used for a racism based part of the story much better than the Sharpteeth, since unlike the later they actually CAN eat plants only, but would most likely be seen as a threat anyway by the valley inhabitants. With one of the two brothers being actually quite inclined towards green food while the other makes egg-eating a matter of personal pride this would have opened up entire new story lines.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree that LBT 2 has its flaws, it's not among my most liked sequels but I still like it of course :)
Here's what I'd do:
1. I'm an advocate of the songs so there would be songs in my movies. 'Peaceful Valley' is a very good intro for the movie and it creates the thesis that the Valley is completely safe which will be proven wrong throughout the movie, 'Eggs' characterisizes Ozzy and Strut very well and besides it is pretty funny and 'You're One Of Us Now' has the message that the Gang accept Chomper as a kind of 'family member' (considering themselves as Chomper's family) and a friend.
2. I agree, the voice acting was poorer. Though compared to other sequels, it's okay.
3. I never noticed this... It's not annoying in my opinion so I won't really change that. In some situations, these funny-meant lines are well placed. Oh, and Ducky's just like that, she's too unmature to act serious in such a situation.
4. I agree with Malte here.
5. Littlefoot indeed accepts Chomper far too early. It's like his mother had never been killed by The Sharpooth. But on the other hand, Littlefoot's good attitudes don't allow him to leave him on his own... A compromise would be good, Littlefoot just doesn't accept Chomper until the Gang gets 'rescued' by Chomper.
6. I always wondered about this, it's like they had been brainwashed when they arrived at the Valley so they wouldn't recognize their life in the outside world.
7. That's not really bugging me to be honest.

I find the ending a little weird because there are suddenly Baby Threehorns, Flyers, Spiketails and Swimmers (those hatched but the rest of them just... came out of nowhere) so I wouldn't have done this.
Inactive, probably forever.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Nov 3 2013 on  07:10 AM
I agree that LBT 2 has its flaws, it's not among my most liked sequels but I still like it of course :)
Here's what I'd do:
1. I'm an advocate of the songs so there would be songs in my movies. 'Peaceful Valley' is a very good intro for the movie and it creates the thesis that the Valley is completely safe which will be proven wrong throughout the movie, 'Eggs' characterisizes Ozzy and Strut very well and besides it is pretty funny and 'You're One Of Us Now' has the message that the Gang accept Chomper as a kind of 'family member' (considering themselves as Chomper's family) and a friend.
2. I agree, the voice acting was poorer. Though compared to other sequels, it's okay.
3. I never noticed this... It's not annoying in my opinion so I won't really change that. In some situations, these funny-meant lines are well placed. Oh, and Ducky's just like that, she's too unmature to act serious in such a situation.
4. I agree with Malte here.
5. Littlefoot indeed accepts Chomper far too early. It's like his mother had never been killed by The Sharpooth. But on the other hand, Littlefoot's good attitudes don't allow him to leave him on his own... A compromise would be good, Littlefoot just doesn't accept Chomper until the Gang gets 'rescued' by Chomper.
6. I always wondered about this, it's like they had been brainwashed when they arrived at the Valley so they wouldn't recognize their life in the outside world.
7. That's not really bugging me to be honest.

I find the ending a little weird because there are suddenly Baby Threehorns, Flyers, Spiketails and Swimmers (those hatched but the rest of them just... came out of nowhere) so I wouldn't have done this.
Brainwashed, you say? I somehow think the Rainbow Faces are behind this! XD

Oh! I just remembered!

Ozzy and Strut aren't bad as villains, but sometimes they become too dumb to convenience the script.

Remember how they dangled LF off a cliff and pulled him up when they heard Chomper? If they were going to drop him, why pull him up? Even as revenge goes it makes no sense. If you had your nemesis dangling on a cliff, would you pull him up when a man with a chainsaw was coming, especially when you've been told that they could potentially be allies?

How is Ozzy even strong enough to hold him, anyway?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Probably yes :lol
Ozzy and Strut aren't bad as villains, but sometimes they become too dumb to convenience the script.
Specially Strut :lol
Remember how they dangled LF off a cliff and pulled him up when they heard Chomper? If they were going to drop him, why pull him up? Even as revenge goes it makes no sense. If you had your nemesis dangling on a cliff, would you pull him up when a man with a chainsaw was coming, especially when you've been told that they could potentially be allies?
Hmm, yes... The only explanation I can come up with is to use Littlefoot as a sort of protection shield :o
I call Rainbowfaces :DD Seriously, The Sharptooth had super-powers too, or who else would survive that drop, not to mention him jumping on Littlefoot's Mother's back... :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Nov 3 2013 on  01:58 PM
Probably yes :lol
Specially Strut :lol
Hmm, yes... The only explanation I can come up with is to use Littlefoot as a sort of protection shield :o
I call Rainbowfaces :DD Seriously, The Sharptooth had super-powers too, or who else would survive that drop, not to mention him jumping on Littlefoot's Mother's back... :p
Maybe he was raptor Jesus or Trogdor.

On a side note, I think Ducky is still a bit TOO cheerful here. I mean, being happy is one thing, but I can't imagine laughing a split second after I almost died.
Edit: Also, O and S seem too keen to get revenge. Seriously, just get another egg, it's not like there's a shortage.