The Land Before Time > 1988 Theatrical Release

I think this "uncut version" obsession

(1/14) > >>

WeirdRaptor:
I firmly believe that this obsession with the original version is making this fandom lose sight of the very film we loved to begin with. I see discussions about the film we have now become rarer while meaingless speculation about the mythical uncut version comes up over and over and then goes nowhere time and again.

Here are some facts:

1. It doesn't exist anymore. It was locked up tight and the version we all own on home video is the only one that was ever out in general release. I will not hear otherwise unless you have proof.
2. There is no record of an "uncut" version being released anymore. It doesn't even make sense for them to it that, considering that the producers of the project made the staff cut it down and release the version we're familiar with. Hell, Bluth even said that the cut footage is in Spielberg's possession, and he's sure never made any attempts to restore the film.
4. We are not going to find it. Stop looking.
5. The film we have now is fine as is. It is a great, great film and I am satisfied with it. I'm sorry that so many of you don't feel the same.

Ducky123:

--- Quote ---1. It doesn't exist anymore. It was locked up tight and the version we all own on home video is the only one that was ever out in general release. I will not hear otherwise unless you have proof.
--- End quote ---
You claim there's no proof for the existance of the uncut version of the original LBT movie?! Well, likewise there's no proof that it doesn't exist...

--- Quote ---2. There is no record of an "uncut" version being released anymore. It doesn't even make sense for them to it that, considering that the producers of the project made the staff cut it down and release the version we're familiar with. Hell, Bluth even said that the cut footage is in Spielberg's possession, and he's sure never made any attempts to restore the film.
--- End quote ---
Why wouldn't it make sense for them to release it, provided it's still there in their archives? Many, many children who are in their 20's and 30's now have loved TLBT and many still do so. Wouldn't it motivate them to buy the movie again if it had some "special features" (cut scenes) on it? And just consider that many of them are already parents who would love to show their children a wonderful movie from their childhood... I think it would pay off for the producers, if they advertise such a rerelease wisely...

--- Quote ---4. We are not going to find it. Stop looking.
--- End quote ---
You never know if you would have made it, hadn't you given up. This quote just puts it nicely: If there existed a movie with the cut scenes on it and if we weren't looking for it, then how would we know if it exists or not. Why so hopeless, WR?

--- Quote ---5. The film we have now is fine as is. It is a great, great film and I am satisfied with it. I'm sorry that so many of you don't feel the same.
--- End quote ---
In case this is aimed at me (which I think is not the case but still..), I do love the movie the way it is. I'm just curious what these scenes really contained.

Malte279:
As for the factual topic of this thread:
1. I think it is not very likely for an uncut version to be made available to us. In more than 15 years of research and hope inducing reports of uncut versions watched in the past my hope to actually see such a version are fairly low... but there was no thought of an LBT 14 either anymore until quite recently and I would be delighted in being disproven.
2. Many fans from various countries have told about seeing such an uncut version. Similar cases of scenes included in movie adaptions of some countries but not in all of them are not unheard of. I consider the probability higher that such different cuts of the movie have actually been aired rather than assuming or accusing of collective memory failure or deliberate misinformation.

As for the less factual and more emotional points in this thread I must say that it is with great regret that based on the choice of words and formulations they seem to be more of the basis for this thread rather than the wish for a factual discussion. I would prefer if the matter had been allowed to be dropped (strong hint her to anyone considering further anger filled responses here).
Even in case it should turn out to be in vain there is no harm in the "holy grail status" of the cut scenes in the mind of many land before time fans. And though no actual video of it has ever been found the search for it has not been in vain altogether. Plenty of immages and seen descriptions which have definitely or probably been part of the cut scenes have been found as a result from this interest of the fans.
Neither you nor anyone else has the right to order people what to do or what not to with their free time while they are not harming others in the process!
The fact that people are right here on the board shows clearly that they do like the movie. Curiosity about what it would have been like with the additional scenes does not equal dislike for the movie as it is. If people do not like the movie as it is that is just as much their right as it is yours to dislike (for example) a certain series of movies based on one book by an author whose works you and I both enjoy.

Make no mistake everybody, we admins are watching this thread and the attitudes of members towards each other. The warning has been given, but if anyone feels the need to further push or violate rules against personal attacks (and I am not refering to one member only here), of freedom of opinion or about presenting opinions as facts we admins are going to put an end to it!

WeirdRaptor:
Bluth has stated on no uncertain terms that Spielberg has the only copy of the missing footage and that he's not releasing it. It doesn't get more final than that. Why so hopeless, because I'm tired of this baseless rumor.

--- Quote ---2. Many fans from various countries have told about seeing such an uncut version. Similar cases of scenes included in movie adaptions of some countries but not in all of them are not unheard of. I consider the probability higher that such different cuts of the movie have actually been aired rather than assuming or accusing of collective memory failure or deliberate misinformation.
--- End quote ---
People claimed that you can unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64 for years, worldwide. Guess what? You can't. I rest my case.

Nick22:
i think it is better for everyone if we take a step back and consider what we are arguing over, footage, that is likely never to be released.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version