The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Nightmare before Christmas.

Saft · 25 · 2211

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Has anyone else seen this and if so what did you think of it?

When I first saw it, I was frightened so much that it gave me nightmares.  Quite pathetic really but I think it had to do with the vampires and not Oogie Boogie.

I'm still trying to understand why though.  But after the inital nightmares, I have re-watched this film and whilst it is not a favourite I do see that in a way it was a improvement on the direction of animation.  Especially an animation direction that was used to create another Tim Burton's films: Corpse Bride.  I actually like Corpse Bride.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was an interesting story.. I first saw in in theathers and it reminded me of the puppets used in the rankin Bass films and specials in the 60s and 70s.. Corpse bride is very similar, almost a sequel..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Are they puppets?

I don't think they are, I thought that they were made out of clay like the Wallace and Gromit characters.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I believe they were puppets ..although I'll have to check to be sure...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sure, if you want..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
All I've been able to find are:

This was the first movie to ever be fully animated using the stop-motion technique that was favored by Tim Burton for special effects in some of his other movies for its surreal quality.

It took a group of around 100 people three years to complete this movie. For one second of film, up to 12 stop-motion moves had to be made.

Yet, when I researched Corpse Bride because since they were made by the same people I presumed that they used the same to create Corpse Bride, so:

The puppets used neither of the industry standards of replaceable heads (like those used on The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)) or replaceable mouths (like those used by Aardman Studios in Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)) but instead used precision crafted clockwork heads, adjusted by hidden keys. This allowed for unprecedented subtlety, but was apparently even more painstaking than the already notoriously arduous animation. One animator even reported having recurring nightmares of adjusting his own facial expression in this fashion.

So Nick, you were correct and I was wrong.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Did you see the theatrical release Kor or did you (like me) see it when the VHS was released?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
it originally came out in 1993...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I didn't see it at the theater.  I think I first saw it when I checked it out from the library or maybe rented it from a video rental place.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
what was your favorite character in the movie Kor?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd have to either say Jack Skellington (I think is name is), or the patchwork girl who liked or loved him.  Though many of the other chars could be funny at times also.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Jack was my favorite as well.. I'm surprised they didn't make a sequel to it, was a pretty big hit at the box office
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe the director or producer doesn't like doing sequels.  I think it had a GBA game also.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Burton made a sequel to Batman, so he was not afraid of doing sequels..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder why he didnt to this one.  And Jack did seem to be a multi dimensional character.  Now that I remember some bits that I can recall.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I loved this movie back when I was a kid and still do to this very day.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think Burton had other projects going on at the time that prevented him from making a sequel..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& to late now I guess.   I wonder what he would have done, and if it would have been good, bad, or just ok.