The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Journey of the Brave (LBT 14)

Mumbling · 763 · 118281

I love Jelly Otter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hello, dino fellows!  I kinda forgot about this place & remembered it once after I finally managed to watch this LBT 14 & felt a strong need for opinion to be exhausted.  Now, I won't go in to typing a big quality & professional tl;dr essay/review about the movie, since:
1) barely anyone would read it;
2) I'm not too fluent in English & have issues when it comes to translating a bowl of thoughts on mind in to text;
3) after 31 pages everything has been already said much better than I could say it myself.
So here it goes then...

I AM thankful it's finally a new movie after uncertainty & long waitings.  So I was watching it bluntly & felt being bored after some first 15 mins, though I had to go through it, if only for the sake of it being watched & all thoughts/speculations been answered.  Btw, I really adored those amazing backgrounds throughout the movie, as in previous ones.
But, would one expect some improvement & quality of the first movie after 12 sequels so far?  Lolno!  The film was L A M E .
Everything was so typical & predictive, I could foresee each character's saying/reaction before it was actually happening.  Same overused characters' personal traits & stuff that's long exhausted & no funny at all.  Spike still can't talk (even though his face appears to have more wrinkles now) & same goes for Petrie.  [Well, actually those can be ignored if you take that events of all 14 films happen within a year or less.] Everything looked as if "scripted" or pre-made for the characters, than it looking that it's happening purely by luck or coincidence.
Unbearably preschoolers-friendly film, that as usual features scary looking villains that are always stupid & never hurt the main characters.  Same scenes of kids defeating mighty "sharpteeths".  It's so predictive & repetitive, it's no longer thrilling at all - just mute the sound during the "scary/thrilling" scenes & see for yourself.   Oh & here there were no "thrilling" fights between sharpteeths & adults, so yeah...  it's safe for toddlers to watch it.
Same plot as in all other movies...  The problem comes in to the Great Valley & while stupid adults are busy discussing it, as always brave kiddos alone go on adventure out of the Valley to fix the problem themselves.  They will work together, fight, & as usual each ones plan will go against them soon. Very predictive as in all previous sequels, actually as in all movies anyway.  Then adults realize the kids are gone & so they go after them.  All fix the problem & go back happily. SAME PATTERN STUFF, not sure how it can still excite anyone, unless you're under some 10 years old.
And yup, there are songs in the film, as usual.  Songs that all sound like some well-known songs from the 70s-80s.  In particular, the "Hot & Stinky" (lol), reminded me of the "Summer Nights" by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John.
Typical accents by new characters too.   Ruby & Chomper have no role in the film at all & were there only to validate the TV series as really belonging to the timeline.
The only funny parts in the film that made me smile were scenes with Petrie & those lizard-like characters.  But didn't it remind of similar scenes in many other (animated) movies?

So was it a good movie?  Meh, but better than previous 10-13, slightly.
Was it worth the wait?  Guess so, but really... it's a 13th sequel, so what would you expect?   Unless you imagine that the first film never happened at all, as well as 12 sequels too.

Not long ago I saw a "close" animated movie featuring dinos, called "The Good Dinosaur"...   Now that was somewhat great - no songs, not boring, thrilling for real.   But nvm it.

Gah, wanted to type a few, but guess I got too overexcited in the process as well as looks like there's too much of time on my hands!  

Oh & btw, I don't love Jelly Otter anymore, as I created my own characters fully up to my own taste & liking.  So how can I change my username to something else, cause I don't want the past still echoing...?

AllegroGiocoso

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Week 2 of sales looks to be pretty good! Only a slight decline of 9% from Week 1 to Week 2, and it charted at 10th (down from 7).

For comparison, Great Day of the Flyers was at 22nd in its second week, and had a 61% drop from Week 1 to Week 2.

Now we have 95,000 sold copies and $1.3 mill after two weeks.

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-dvd-sales-chart

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Yay, over a million in 2 weeks for a movie with not a massive budget! Wonder how much it's made in the just about 2 months it's been out? Nearly 3 million maybe?

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot, this is 95,000 copies sold at Wal-Mart in the U.S only! Is this good for a movie like this?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

AllegroGiocoso

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Another 20K copies and $200,000 for Week 3. We're now at $1,563,600.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just saw one of the CSM's at my store (Customer Service Manager) walking around with a Journey of the Brave pin on her work vest. Nice to see they're still trying to advertise the movie there. :)

And good to hear about the sales, too.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I actually did go and watch this (the new avatar proves I did so) since I saw it was on Netflix and what I wanted to watch wasn't.

Anyway:

1.) Its not too terrible; I really really wasn't sure I wanted to go down this rabbit hole of sequels again, but at least I didn't feel I totally wasted my time with it.

2.) The showtunes are just blah, save for Reba's song, which actually made sense where it was put in the plot.  So I won't complain about Reba's song in the film, and admittedly like it.  The rest were there for sake of the being there are weren't needed, period.

3.) 100% glad Ruby and Chomper basically had cameo roles.  I don't care for those second bananas much.

4.) While I'm sure CGI helps save some money, Universal in their films just never blended it well at all when they try to add like cg water, rocks, or trees in their 2-d films.  This film unfortunately is no different from others they've tried...sometimes many years before this one.  Maybe its the Korean animation crew, I don't know, but these guys can't pull it off, and I don't think they've ever done so.  Just keep 2-d and it would be totally fine and at least the picture would flow.

So now that I have a cool new avatar, bow to leader Petrie!!! :D

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Petrie,Apr 9 2016 on  05:47 AM
So now that I have a cool new avatar, bow to leader Petrie!!! :D
And so begins the dark age of tyrany... Beware the Leader Petrie. He's coming for your second bananas!.. :DD
Honestly though I think the CGI in this one was way better than in some of the previous sequels. I was still able to spot a poorly textured 3D object or surface every now and then, but they didn't stand out quite as badly as some things in - say - LBT10 did.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've read a while back in this thread that someone had a digital version of Journey of the Brave that they could lend to us foreigners :p

Who should I talk to about it?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Thanks Ducky (: Already read it. I tried to reply to your PM to thank you but it said your inbox was full.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I always keep one free spot for new messages. Somebody sent me a PM so it was taken :p Made some space in my inbox now ^^spike
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah the 14th movie directed by the worlds worst animated director Davis Doi. Everything he directs turns to trash. He's the Michael Bay of animated directors minus the explosives. Despite me hating everything he ever worked on I still wanna check this out since I need to finish the series. I looked at reviews watched video reviews and I herd it's not as bad as some of the other sequels. So I'm hoping to soon watch this movie.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've never heard of him before LBT XIV. However, he did a great job with this sequel. For me it's in the top 8 LBT sequels of all time, much better than Wisdom of Friends, and on par with The Great Day of the Flyers.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Again Davis Doi is a horrible director that should stop insulting kids intelligence by making movies That dumb them down. But lucky for me this morning before work I watched it. And my review of his latest abomination. The voice acting was horrible. The new actors they got sounded nothing like what they use to. I know Kenneth Mars passed away so they had to find a sound alike actor and they failed. The five music numbers where forgettable. I did like only two of them. One was "Find Me The Light" by Reba Macintire and the no friend song. Eda voiced by Reba Macintire was the funniest thing in the movie and she still shouldn't have been in this. And don't get me started on damein Wayne's crazy arms character he was not a good character.  I did however like the digger dinosaurs those where pretty good and funny. So I thought the movie was okay the story was a complete retelling of the first Land Before Time. So some parts I liked some I didn't like. Like cera wining about everything that wasn't helping the situation at all. But I did like the fact they actually went with little foot to help him look for his dad. So all and all I'd give it a 5/10. It was good enough to give it half the grade.

AllegroGiocoso

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Just a brief update on the sales, as of March 27 (I think, it's the most recent weekly DVD sales posted), LBT 14 has now crossed the $2 mill mark! It seems to be making steady progress in sales, as it has made $300K since the last time this chart was updated (for the prior week, I think).

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2016

It's also worth noting that this coming Tuesday marks the end of the Walmart exclusive period, so now other stores, Amazon, and Redbox will have it too.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I will not be giving my cash to a company that hired Davis Doi no thanks I saw it once and that's good enough for me. That guy doesn't get any support from me at all.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
To each his one. But if you don't buy it, we probably won't get a new sequel. I'm just waiting for it to be available in my country and then I'll buy the DVD.

I hate Wisdom of Friends, and I still own the DVD. Doing the best I can to keep the franchise alive.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Good we don't need anymore or anymore directed by the person let's hope he doesn't direct another land before time movie again.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,May 12 2016 on  08:23 PM
Good we don't need anymore or anymore directed by the person let's hope he doesn't direct another land before time movie again.
Wow, you really hate that guy, don't you?

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I don't care who the director is, I still watched it regardless of whether it was directed by Davis Doi or someone else.