The Land Before Time > General Land Before Time

Did a Disney movie inspire an LBT storyline?

(1/1)

GreyLizard226:
Relating to my topic about members here who might know the creators, it came about because I saw someone (who I shall refrain from naming for discretion) said this in a thread:

“  The kids were like John Smith from Disney’s Pocahontas, the tinysauruses were the Indians, and the adults were the other white men. Both groups could not accept the other on equal terms and wanted to be as far away from each other as possible. The white men (the LBT grownups) wanted to drive away the Indians (the tinysauruses) while John Smith (the kids) found peace with both sides at once. Whoa, hold the phone. This isn’t LIKE the Pocahontas movie. It IS the Pocahontas movie. The savages song from Pocahontas is just like the creepy crawlies song from the LBT movie. I can just see the director, trying to think of a plot for movie eleven, then his little daughter tugs on his pants and asks him to watch a movie with her. He refuses for days, then finally accepts, having found no ideas. As he watches Pocahontas, his eyes lights up, and he calls the writer team up. Sadly, the father never finishes the movie with his daughter. I mean, seriously, the plot theme was just like that Disney movie”

It’s weird because they almost act as if they know what they’re talking about. Even if it’s not a known fact, do you think there’s any validity to this speculation?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato):
Personally I think it's more likely both filmwriters followed the same trains-of-thought to tell their stories. Both wanted to tell a story about prejudice and not judging foreigners based on their appearance, and there's a really obvious method by which to do that:

-Add a foreign race, make people hate them due to a misunderstanding
-make the protagonist the one who bridges the social gap
-make the foreigners help the people during some tragedy, just to really hammer home how wrong they were to judge them

After that, a song where the villains sing about hating the foreigners is a pretty obvious pick, since its the central conflict of the film. So I think it's a coincidence more than anything else, borne from both treading pretty safe and overdone themes.

GreyLizard226:
Surprised this thread hasn’t gotten more attention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version