The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Don Bluth's Films: Best to worst.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Post which films of Don Bluth's you think are the best and which ones you think are the worse. Whether you list why or not is up to you.

My list:(Best to worse)

1. The Secret of NIMH
2. The Land Before Time
3. Titan A.E.
4. An American Tail
5. Once Upon a Forest
6. Anastacia
7. Thumbelina
8. A Troll in Central Park
9. Rock-A-Doodle
10. The Pebble and the Penguin (never seen it, and I don't want to.)

I'll post why later.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
To tell you the truth, out of the list "An American Tail" is the only Don Bluth movie I've seen apart from LBT (which I definitely prefer, even though "An American Tail" is a good movie). "All dogs go to heaven" is a Bluth movie as well, isn't it? I saw that one, but it's so long ago I hardly remember it.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Here's my list

1.) Secret of NIMH
2.) Land Before Time
3.) All Dogs Go to Heaven
4.) An American Tail
5.) Anastasia

Those I have seen and would willingly sit down and watch them again and again.

````````````````` (big ratings gap)
6.) Bartok the Magnificent
7.) Rock a Doodle
NR Thumbelina
NR Pebble and the Penguin
NR Titan AE
NR Troll in Central Park
NR Once Upon A Forest

Anything here I probably wouldn't bother to see (if I haven't seen it) or wouldn't watch again (if I have).  Most of the ones I haven't seen have terribly low ratings, if that's anything to go by.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'll put a list here too:

1. The Land Before Time
2. All Dogs Go To Heaven
3. An American Tail
4. Titan A.E.
5. Rock-A-Doodle
6. Anastasia
7. Once Upon a Forest
8. Thumbelina

The next list are ones I saw only once, and perhaps may want to get:

Secret of NIMH
(These I don't know if they are Don Bluth Films)
Secret of NIMH 2
Ferngully:  the Last Rainforest

Everything else I have not watched yet.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Best:
LBT
All Dogs Go to Heaven
An American Tail
Titan A.E
Anastasia
Middle:
All Dogs go to heaven  2
Rock-a Doodle
Worst:
Pebble and the Penguin
Troll in Central Park
Haven't Seen:
Secret of Nimh

Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Notes for anyone and everyone who might be on here and hasn't seen a lot of his films: (Seeing Malte's post gave me the idea of doing a little commercial for Bluth's work here.)

His other works I'd highly Recommend you seeing:
Titan A.E., An American Tail, and Once Upon a Forest.
"Titan A.E." is definitely up to par with LBT.
"Once Upon a Forest" is good, too, but not his best work, as far as my opinion goes, anyway.
"An American Tail", well, that's what gave him a name in the first place, before his second success in theaters with "The Land Before Time" and before 'The Secret of NIMH's' video cult classic status.

I'd recommend you avoid: A Troll in Central Park, Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, and All Dogs Go to Heaven, unless you're prepared for four major disappointments in a row. These are the films that are used to tear Bluth down by the people who don't like him, because they are generally hailed as the worse of his career, which, in somes cases, still isn't a bad movie, actually.

I'm on the fense on whether I'd recommend anyone see "Anastasia". It's just a very odd film, altogther, but not, just weird and freaky.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
For All Dogs to be such a "bad" film, it certainly was good for most of us here, WR.  At least 3 out of 4 that have seen it here have said it's good.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Anastasia is a good film, Not historically accurate but it has great vocal talent(Angela Lansbury, Christopher Lloyd) and good songs (Into the Past, Once Upon a December)
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if you look else where, Arvens, the people who don't like "All Dogs" do tend to outnumber the people who do like it. I'm not saying that its wrong for you to like the film, its just not one I'd recommend.

One thing, I think, would have helped it some is if they didn't have Burt Reynolds (of all people) doing the voice of the main character. I much perferred his replacement, Charlie Sheen, in the direct-to-video sequel.

Of course, 'Hidalgo' to 'Seabiscuit', too, so who knows?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
There has been many complaints about the movie being too violent for children, especially involving the main character being killed, shot (but not killed), and making plans about taking revenge on his enemy.  And Burt Reynolds is also not my type of actor for the movie.  I wonder if that's because he has worked often with Dom DeLuise in earlier live action movies.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wonder if that's because he has worked often with Dom DeLuise in earlier live action movies.

Probably.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
My fav DB flicks

1. Land Before Time
2. An American Tail
3. All Dogs go to Heaven
4. The Secret of NIHM
5. Thumbelina
6. Titan AE
7. Troll in Central Park
8. Rock-a-doodle

The others I've either only caught a glimpse of them or I havent seen them. Are you guys SURE Bluth did The Magic Cauldron and Fern Gully? I dont think he was involved coz when I saw them, Don Bluth wasn't anywhere in the end credits. He's not listed in Internet Movie Database as a cast member. I know they look very much like Bluth's style of animation but I don't recall seeing his name anywhere in the credits :unsure:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Bluth had nothing to do with FernGully (I don't recall who made that film, but I think it was an independent) or the Black Cauldron since that's a Disney film circa 1985 long after Bluth left.  

If you really want to get technical, about half of Disney's Fox and the Hound (1981) was done by Bluth's team but they refused credit on the film.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I knew that. Don Bluth was also responsible for the great Robin Hood but he was uncredited for that too...how cheeky can ya get?!  :angry: Robin Hood is an awesome film and Disney denied him the glory  -_-

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Animated Robin Hood? I Thought That was made in the 60s.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah...Don Bluth was responsible for working on that! No wonder I loved it!  :D

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Actually it's 1970s but I'll let that slide and not penalize ya.  :lol:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Nuts, and I was looking forward to a linching.

(Kidding.)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Only a teacher back in the early 20th century would rap knuckles. :P:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
;)

What would everyone say is the single best Don Bluth film? I know what answer I'm going to get, but let's see if anyone,other than myself, has a differing opinion on that.

My vote is definitely "The Secret of NIMH".

I'd happily be on forums for them also, but it seems that LBT is the only one that's earned a community big enough for me to want to stay in contact with, sadly.