The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How would Bron know how his wife died?

Ruby2 · 12 · 1770

Ruby2

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I know this might shock LBT fans who saw the first movie, but how the heck woudl Bron know his wife was killed by a Sharptooth rather then the Great Earthshake?  Even if another Longneck found her body, how would the Longneck know that she wasn't fatally injuried by the Great Earthshake, died of her wounds, and then a Fast Biter or something sabotaged the corpse?  

On the flip side, if Bron HAD talked to Rooter, he ought to have known that Littlefoot could still be alive, though Bron doesn't appear to have known that, or else, one would have assumed that, being a good father, he would have turned down leading a herd so he could find his son?

Also, does anybody find it odd that Bron didn't act more suprised when he found that Littlefoot WAS indeed alive and more in front of him?  I mean, you'd have expected him to hop up and down and cheer.  Nor was the response from his in-laws what we'd have suspected.

Also, one wonders why Bron never tried to figure out THEIR fate as they could have given him news, presumably, on Littlefoot, yet he NEVER mentions that he ever bothered to look for them.  Littlefoot yes, them, no.

One wonders if perhaps he left Littlefoot's mother for a kind of selfish, perhaps Pteranoish reason and maybe his in-laws were sour at him over it and so he didn't want to go find them when he heard his wife died to try and find out Littlefoot's fate.

At any event, barring Bron and/or Grandpa and Grandma Longneck lying about what happened with Bron, movies 1 and 10 seem to contradict each other.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I always thought that he has spoken to Rooter. But didn't Bron say that the guy he ran into had no word on him? Maybe it wasn't Rooter after all. Or maybe he just meant that he didn't know where Littlefoot was at the moment. Bron might have known then his son was alive, but with all the dangers, and all the searching, it's possible that he thought Littlefoot died just like his mate had.

I'm not sure what you mean by "why didn't he ask about their fates". I'm pretty sure that's what he was doing, but only one (most likely Rooter) knew anything useful.

I think a better question would be how did Rooter knew she and Littlefoot were related to Bron. At this point, Bron didn't know what Littlefoot looked like, and Rooter didn't see the mother. So there's no way he would have relayed the information reliably.

So that leads me to one of two conclusions. Either there was another witness, perhaps someone who knew Bron and his mate. Or this is just a plot hole. I'm guessing the second one, honestly.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Apart from the question about how Bron supposedly learned about the death of his wife it is also notable how he apparently didn't hear any word at all about the Great Valley in spite of the whole "all herds are going there" and "some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart" of the original movie.
Much as we try, I'm afraid that any attempts to find a coherence between Bron and the original movie are frustrated by the fact that the makers of LBT 10 just wanted to throw in Littlefoot's father in as a new character without the content of the original movie being of any interest or significance to them at all.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though 10 does have well written individual scenes, the movie itself has all sorts of continuity problems, and other things also.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I'm honestly not a big fan of concluding things as mere plot-holes (I love thinking there's more to any story than what we're visually seeing and that it should be up to our imaginations), so I will assume someone managed to witness the fight from a safe distance and told Bron about it later on when he was asking around (or maybe after they established a familiarity with each other).

As for him not reacting happily, I think he was more shocked than happy, which then tells me he concluded Littlefoot died as well at some point in the past. As for Bron not going to the Great Valley, well, maybe he went there before Littlefoot and his in-laws made it, didn't find them there, and went back out to the Mysterious Beyond.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Aug 10 2015 on  07:07 PM
I'm honestly not a big fan of concluding things as mere plot-holes
Sometimes things just have no explanation and can't be concluded as anything but a plot hole. There's numbers of plot holes in stories that don't have any realistic explanation, often caused by contradiction or the author not thinking things through. Unfortunate, but it happens a lot with writing. Being an author myself, this has happened numerous times with me.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
The only real way in the world of dinosaurs for Bron to know how his wife died is if he seen it with his own eyes. But he was never there to see her die. So there really is no way he can know, but if no one told Bron, Littlefoot probably would tell him that it happened, which would sadden him, but it would be better for him to know than not to know.

As for him knowing if Littlefoot was still alive, couldn't he just have talked to Rooter if he seen him? Then again, if he probably would have found Rooter years after Rooter had talked to Littlefoot anyway. I think the only way he'd know if Littlefoot was alive in the the dinosaur world is (again) by seeing him physically.

He also wasn't really glad he found Littlefoot after all these years as much as he should. Same goes a bit for Grandpa and Grandma Longneck. Also, although I think the movie was the best LBT movie (in my opinion) it still was a weird explanation as to why he never saw Littlefoot in so long, and that he called Sharpteeth cowards, and said they only attack in twos and threes, the next day one and two more show up!

Also shame on Littlefoots Grandparents for not previously telling him all they could about his father! I mean, he might not like it, but why not tell him when you had years of oppurtunity! I mean I would, so why not them? Maybe then Littlefoot wouldn't be so runaway-ish when he seen his father for the first time!

And really the place where Littlefoots parents used to live in looked so great, how could you find a place much better? It's like Bron knew an earthshake was happening, so he went off to find a better place for them, but instead everything goes to hell. Did he want a safe place with no sharpteeth where nobody lived or something? Like raising a child away from everyone else?

Bron had a really odd story to tell.

That was the longest post I made since I joined here, and I hope it was a good one! I'm not used to long posts so yeah!
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 11 2015 on  08:20 AM
Sometimes things just have no explanation and can't be concluded as anything but a plot hole. There's numbers of plot holes in stories that don't have any realistic explanation, often caused by contradiction or the author not thinking things through. Unfortunate, but it happens a lot with writing. Being an author myself, this has happened numerous times with me.
That's just me, don't judge.

Hardback247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Do any of you have any overall thoughts on whether it was a good idea to introduce Littlefoot's dad or not?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is nice to see Littlefoot does have a dad but the way he was introduced could have been better to say the least... Part of his backstory has some obvious plotholes. But I'm glad he's there or else we wouldn't have Shorty or LBT 14 :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hardback247,Aug 29 2015 on  08:22 PM
Do any of you have any overall thoughts on whether it was a good idea to introduce Littlefoot's dad or not?
We've never heard anything about Littlefoot's dad before then, so yeah, I think it was a good idea, even if his backstory is riddled with holes.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 11 2015 on  07:20 AM
I definitely agree this is a plot hole, but I mean I guess you could assume that in the scene where the earthshake is occurring and families are being separated that a dinosaur saw the whole thing. Maybe that dinosaur saw Littlefoot too and that's why they told Bron with trust, because by looking at Bron you can tell Littlefoot is his son.
8 years with TGOF :yum