The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My art work

Ptyra · 332 · 66133

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Again, thanks for the tippers. Considering how the picture was drawn a few months ago, I'm not really big on the scar thing anymore either. Although, it would have resulted in an interesting reunion with Tybalt. "I see you're starting to grasp the family look..."

Yet another one from last school year, Thisbe returns...rather gruffly.

Yet another other-Michael York-character reference, this one being Logan's Run specifically. I guess Thisbe was trying to be a "runner" and Pterano grabbed her before she could get away...
It was really hard to draw him holding Thisbe by the scruff and making her hang, though.
Imagine Thisbe with some time of a Swedish/Norwegian accent. Maybe even a bit of Scots-Irish. That might add more effect.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice picture and with a funny line also.  Thanks for sharing it with us here.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Jul 28 2010 on  07:15 PM
Although, it would have resulted in an interesting reunion with Tybalt. "I see you're starting to grasp the family look..."
:lol

As always, I love the expressions in this picture. :lol: Thisbe looks so irritated (I love how you did the ears), while Pterano just looks bewildered. :lol Bet he’s wondering something like “What the heck IS this creature, and what is it talking about?” :p

The first thing that struck me about this image (apart from the fact that Pterano was holding a bat-snake hybrid :p) was that Pterano’s head was drawn really, REALLY well: :o his eyes, his crest, the proportions of his upper and lower beak, everything. Looking at the image in your signature, it can be seen that it isn’t a straight line from the top of Pterano’s head to his crest (even though what you have is more realistic for Pteranodon :p), but apart from that the only inconsistency I can see is that his head is too small in proportion to his body (particularly his legs and feet).

Pterano’s feet and hands (especially the left ones) are also very well drawn, as is his ruff. However, there should be a line at the top of his left thigh where it meets his body; otherwise his leg looks like it is unnaturally merged with his torso.

Are Thisbe’s wings connected to her arms, or only her body? I ask because her left wing seems to disappear behind her left arm. Her arms and hands themselves are also a little aysymmetrical; her left hand is larger and has more digits, and outside bend of her elbow does not match up with the inside. Finally, what is that little diagonal teardrop shape to the right of Thisbe’s nose supposed to be? :huh: It looks really strange.

By the way, I forget whether I’ve asked you this before: have you submitted any of your artwork for pokeplayer984’s LBT tribute video/fanart contest
pokeplayer984’s LBT tribute video/fanart contest? I’d bet it’d look awesome in there. :yes (It doesn’t have to be new artwork, either; it can be an older piece, or even more than one piece.)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lol, that's one of the reasons why Thisbe is such a difficult character for me to draw XD . I have to coordinate her wings on a body where wings would be difficult for use...even though they're useless.

And now, a brand-new, fresh, completed about five minutes ago, LBT...with an interesting character combination!
It's Ptyra AND Tybalt!

Looks like Grandpa is making the same speech that he gave to Dad. But Ptyra seems far less interested in the offer.
It seems though, that Tybalt has given up on having a male heir and giving it right to whatever descendant he could find. And it was not hard to figure out Ptyra's relations considering her strong resemblance to Pterano. I may have to design her slightly differently at some point, and give her a slight resemblance to Ada and Tybalt at the same time.

Hm. Doesn't look nearly as good as it does on paper, though. I decided to give Tybalt a slight change in design so that he could look like Christopher Lloyd's voice would come out of him.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
You said that you have a fanfiction about this, can you give me a link to it?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The fanfictions are all mostly work in progress. I just do illustrations of a scene I have in mind before I write them :) . There are no fanfictions so far, except for two one-shots.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Whoa, Ptyra sure gets around. :blink: She’s been to the Great Valley, spent a lot of her life in the Mysterious Beyond, and now she’s back where she hatched. At what point in the story timeline does this take place? Has Ptyra already been to the Great Valley, reunited with Pterano, etc.? Or would you prefer to avoid spoilers?

Oddly enough, one of the first things that came to mind when I first saw this picture was that Tybalt looks a lot friendlier than usual (though he might look more like his usual scary self once you color him :p). He looks like he’s got a bunch of new scars, too. (Geez, what does this guy do, wrestle Liopleurodons? Tease fast biters for fun? Play hockey?) At an rate, apart from the added scars, I don’t quite recognize how you’ve drawn him differently. :oops I don’t suppose you could tell me how you changed him?

Anyway, both flyers are extremely well drawn here. Feet, arms, torsos, necks, heads, wings, and (of course) expressions all look great! :wow Their eyes and mouths convey their emotions perfectly. :yes

Both Ptyra and Tybalt’s right feet are extremely good, though Tybalt’s right ankle is REALLY thin at the base, and Ptyra’s left and right shins are of different thicknesses.

Maybe it’s me, but Ptyra’s crest may be a tiny bit too long here, though its shape is very good. Likewise, Tybalt’s crest looks rather thin in the middle; is it supposed to have had pieces chipped off of it, or is it just misshapen from being repeatedly damaged in fights while it was still growing?

On an observational note, Ptyra’s beak looks a bit more downturned than usual. It doesn’t look bad; just different from how you usually draw her.

By the way, I think you probably could have fit a tail on Tybalt here; just a little stub behind his right thigh. Although if you prefer to draw your flyers with upturned tails, arguably it could still just be hidden behind his wing membrane.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is a bit before she arrives at the Great Valley. I'm not sure where her little herd is though, since they're all together now.

I think I might re-do the picture entirely, considering how it quite isn't up to the glory of some of the other fliers.

And for a little sidetrack, it's those two Stupid Rat Creatures  from "Bone" as wee things!

I just looove those two X3 ! They introduced me to quiche  :D !
Which CAN be eaten by monsters, by the way :p .

It's been ages since I've drawn those two and I've been wanting to write Jeff Smith (the writer/artist/creator of "Bone") for a very long time.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
:wub: I love how you have the tail in the other rat creature's mouth...it makes me think of a kitten holding onto a piece of string or something and thinking of it as "prey". :lol

And the EYES! I adore the eyes on both of them!

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Rat Creature eyes are awesome :DD ! They're supposed to be red, as presented from their first two appearances until Kingdok shows up. Then they're shiny like they are in the picture. It's kind of hard to tell which way they're looking, though.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Aug 7 2010 on  10:00 PM
I think I might re-do the picture entirely, considering how it quite isn't up to the glory of some of the other fliers.
Really? :o In what way? I thought Ptyra and Tybalt both looked great!

Cute rat creatures. :DD The one on the left is almost kittenlike.

Whoa, as soon as I thought that, an idea popped into my head for captioned images of rat creatures (LOLrats?). :idea “I can has quiche?” :lol

For some reason, I really like how you drew the fur on these two, especially along the outlines of their bodies. :yes The expressions are great, too. The left one looks so innocent, and the right one so annoyed. :lol I'd expect that the rat creature getting his tail bitten would be the one hissing, though. :confused

The left rat creature's right front paw looks a little malformed. It's larger than his other paws, and there are four claws visible rather than three.

I'd suggest giving the one on the right a bit more of a chin; as it is, it looks like his throat just ends at his mouth.

Both rat creatures' limbs are a bit strange looking. Their front and hind limbs look to be too close together (especially in the one on the right), and on the hind legs, the line marking the front side of the shin should probably end on top of the foot, rather than behind it; that, or merge directly with the foot.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Rat Creatures in Bone actually do have four fingers and a thumb on their front hands, while their back feet are a bit more rat-like. Considering how they're cubs, their feet are still a bit fuzzy like so. How their hands went through such a tremendous change, I have no idea XD .

Jeez, I hope they're not too dark. The setting of Bone is based off that of Ohio ( :DD ), especially the Old Man's Cave area ( :DD ), so I googled for a picture of one and dressed it up to look like a drawing.
I usually did that with my Bone drawings, since Ohio forests are REALLY hard to draw with all those tall skinny trees packed together.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Aug 8 2010 on  06:42 PM
The Rat Creatures in Bone actually do have four fingers and a thumb on their front hands, while their back feet are a bit more rat-like. Considering how they're cubs, their feet are still a bit fuzzy like so. How their hands went through such a tremendous change, I have no idea XD .
It’s not just the paws that change a lot; their ears go from being short, round, fuzzy things to long, hairless ones (I know the rat creatures crop their ears, but they’d still have to change size and shape quite a bit in order to have those dimensions afterwards).

You did a good job coloring these guys. :yes I love the eyes, and the shading on the fur. :DD Their tails (especially the brown one’s) also look VERY good in my opinion. :wow

I see you fixed the brown one’s leg, too; looks much better. :yes And they actually fit in with the background pretty well. My one big complaint is that the image of the rat creatures seems to have been compressed horizontally.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, it was pretty hard to get them seated on that rock :DD . I also noticed recently that Rat Creatures have four toes on their back legs rather than three. Sooo, I'll remember to do that from now on XD .

A while back, I did a pretty depressing picture of the Two Rat Creatures. To lighten it up, I did this.

I'm coloring it without the captions and silly cartoon at the bottom; I felt they were necessary for the sketch.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here is the last picture colored. The lighting was hard as heeeeck.

But other than that, I'm pleased with it :) . The Gray one looks a little too sympathetic and doesn't have enough "Good grief, man up, will you!?"

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry I didn’t post earlier. :oops

Although the right side of the image is rather dark, and it’s a little difficult to see the brown rat creature’s face, the lighting looks excellent. :yes The background (a cave wall, right?) is also interesting; I like how the light affects it. The rat creatures’ hands and feet are well drawn, too.

I have a few problems with the gray rat creature though. First, it looks like he has only a single cyclopean eye, since it looks as if his whole mouth is visible but obviously only one of his eyes is. Also, the red pupil of the eye almost doesn’t look like part of the eye; it might look better if it were more surrounded by the black part of the eye, and/or if it were the part of the eye that contained that little white reflection.

The other two issues are with the rat creature’s legs. It’s hard to tell that his knee is connected to his foot (I thought it was his belly at first). I think the knee protrudes a little too far, and maybe the shin should slant down to the foot less sharply. Finally, where’s his other leg? Shouldn’t it be visible?

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: Campion1,Jul 27 2010 on  07:20 PM
Dude.
Acutally, Ptyra's a she.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, it's been a DARN long while since I posted anything. Soooo have a Darkwing Duck fanart.

'Tis an alternate universe. That's not ENTIRELY Rule 64. Just a few genderbends: Bushroot, Darkwing, Morgana, Goslyn, and Honker (thus far).
In this universe, Regina Bushroot has a domestic partnership/in crime with Liquidator...that has full benefits.

So, have a pre-epic battle scene.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Good art.  Your perspective is a bit off, but the details in the characters really stick out and the facial expressions say things about their personality.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry this response is coming so late (and that I still haven't reviewed that fanfiction excerpt of yours! :bang). I'm very glad to see that you're still making artwork. :D

I’m afraid this is yet another fandom that I know almost nothing about (I may have watched it a long time ago, but as far as details go I’m almost completely amnesiac :blink:). Awesome job on the water effects, though. :yes