The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Trouble with the computer keyboard

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
I have one question and hope that anyone can help me out on a problem I have with my computer keyboard. For some reason the arrow keys work the wrong way all of a sudden when I'm using microsoft word. So when I press the left arrow key the cursor will move to the right and vis versa. It only happens when I'm using MS Word, but still it is really annoying. I suspect that I must have pressed a combination of keys by accident which switches the arrow keys directions (perhaps to make it easier for lefties or so). However, even if I press the "End" key (to jump to the end of the line I'm writing) the cursor will jump to the begining of the line instead. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone know how to fix that problem?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
This should be an easy fix.

How often do you turn your computer off?  If you're like me and leave it on 24/7 so the anti-virus updates every day, then there's a chance some hardware needs to be reset.  Just turn it off, wait for a minute, and turn it back on.

I took this from MS Word's help file (since that's the only place this occurs)

Install keyboard layouts
On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Keyboard icon.

Do one of the following:
If you are running Microsoft Windows 95 or later, click the Language tab.

If you are running Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 or Windows 2000, click the Input Locales tab.

Click Add.

Do one of the following:
If you are running Windows 95 or later, click the language you want in the Language list, and then click OK.

If you are running Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, click the language you want in the Input locale list, and then click OK.

If you want to be able to switch keyboard layouts by using the Windows taskbar, make sure the Enable indicator on taskbar check box is selected.

Other than that, the only thing left I can think went bad might be a keyboard driver but if this issue only happens in Word, that is strange for sure.  :unsure:  Reinstalling drivers isn't hard if it comes that that is your problem.  Let me know.