The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Super Smash Brothers (all)

Tails_155 · 396 · 26104

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Anticipation of Brawl, and talk about your favorite characters, and what you liked/hated about the previous titles

I'll do a Fav character chart (A poll wouldn't have worked anyway, 2 games); by favorite character I mean most used, you may not be compatible with your favorite character's moveset after all :p

DR MARIO: 0

LUIGI: 0

MARIO: 0

BOWSER: 0

PEACH: 0

YOSHI: 2

DONKEY KONG: 0

CAPTAIN FALCON: 0

GANONDORF: 0

FALCO: 0

FOX: 1

NESS: 0

ICE CLIMBERS: 0

KIRBY: 2

SAMUS: 1

ZELDA: 0

SHEIK: 0

LINK: 1

YOUNG LINK: 0

PICHU: 1

PIKACHU: 1

JIGGLYPUFF: 0

MEWTWO: 0

MR. GAME AND WATCH: 0

MARTH: 1

ROY: 0

SUPER SMASH BROS ONLY:

LUIGI: 0

MARIO: 0

DONKEY KONG: 0

YOSHI: 2

CAPTAIN FALCON: 0

NESS: 0

FOX: 1

KIRBY: 2

SAMUS: 1

LINK: 1

PIKACHU: 2

JIGGLYPUFF: 0

Some of you who have said a character have given more than one, if you want to tally, please give your MOST USED character (in each game if it's different)

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Quote from: Tails_155,Aug 9 2007 on  06:26 PM
Anticipation of Brawl, and talk about your favorite characters, and what you liked/hated about the previous titles
I don¥t know anything about this game :(

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I played super smash bro's for n64.  I hated going against Ness the most.  I dunno why. :unsure:

I could beat just about anyone on it. :D

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I own all that are out :D

I'm annoyingly good as Pichu XD I've never heard more people disappointed at someone beating them XD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Used to play it.  Haven't touched the game in over a year so I'm probably good as nobody right about now. :lol  I probably did the best as Pikachu, and then Ganondorf (even if he was very slow, he was hard to kill).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
My favorite is always Link. He just has so many moves that are very effective!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I always liked Pikachu, Fox and Link in both games. I hope to play them in Smash brawl whenever I have the chance to play it.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My favorite is always Link. He just has so many moves that are very effective!
He used to be my favorite character, now i play as falco for 1 vs. 1, and Ganondorf for free for all.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I have to wait next year before Brawl comes out.  :(
Oh well....

Thanks to Smash Bros. on n64, i now know other nintendo characters.
I only knew Pika and Mario & Luigi. The other characters were totally unknown for me.

My favourite character would be Marth. Fast and effective.  :^.^:

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
EDIT: Since SOME people can't understand what an opinion is; THIS IS MY OPINION ON THE POPULARITY

from my study here's what I know (edit for simplification) BELIEVE about characters popularity:

DR MARIO: Not used by many, basically a slower version of Mario with a bit more knockback

LUIGI: Not used by many, a few setbacks that make him hard to use (His 'save' move is too vertical to help usually)

MARIO: Used moderately, the main mascot of Nintendo

BOWSER: Used infrequently, I don't know many people who can use slow characters well

PEACH: Used infrequently, not many people use Peach, although she has some of the most random, and potentially useful moves...

YOSHI: Used by few people, but usually very well by those people; Not having a "save" move really hurts popularity...

DONKEY KONG: Nearly unused, I don't know of many people who do or can play well as DK, unfortunately you'll never see another Kong on SSB because Rare was bought by Microsoft, so DK is the only one that Nintendo has full rights to

CAPTAIN FALCON: Almost totally unused, those that DO use him are usually good with him...

GANONDORF: Rarely used, I've only seen 2 people who use Ganondorf...

FALCO: My cousin's favorite, if used properly, can be VERY lethal

FOX: I like Foxes ^^; oh... wait... Fox is usually used less than Falco if Falco is unlocked, but can be more irritating and potentially difficult to beat

NESS: I know of like 1 person who uses Ness, his "save" move is very hard to use

ICE CLIMBERS: Probably the least used character on the list... I know of people who are fantastic with them though

KIRBY: A favorite character by some, I am not very good, but can use Kirby

SAMUS: Almost overused, popular among all classes of players, strong attacks, fairly fast, and good range

ZELDA: Less used than...

SHEIK: Used more than Zelda, unsure why, Zelda can be very effective, but Sheik is highly effective.

LINK: Overused, from here on, part of my description for this type of character is "has a sword," all 4 overused characters have swords, and while a couple have a range of abilities, I usually see the same 4 moves used

YOUNG LINK: Overused, has a sword, see Link, but with FIRE ARROWS! woo?

PICHU: My personal favorite, s/he lets me play as Pikachu, without playing as the character I so loathe... Used by a few people, usually people who are stunning at using the character, "easiest to throw off a ledge" lightest character, VERY fast, pretty strong, and even though he is light, I have played against VERY good players and survived up to 250% with no handicap/damage editing

PIKACHU: The character I am best with (other than Pichu,) the character I learned to play with, oddly, I have NEVER liked Pikachu when I've played Super Smash Bros, but the moveset suits me... The uses of this character are more frequent that its counterpart, and not always as proficient of a player, but can be used real well...

JIGGLYPUFF: Underused, I know of ONE person who uses Jigglypuff on a regular basis, and he is one of only 4 people to have beaten me on more than one occasion at Gamers' Club (we almost always play SSB:M at Gamers' Club)

MEWTWO: A character I can do well with, despite the characters' speed, not oft used, however can be used well

MR. GAME AND WATCH: My other favorite, so goofy, I enjoy them putting Gunpei Yokoi's (may he rest in peace) first 'character' in this game, one of the characters who you're not always sure what you're gonna get :D a fun character to mess around with, and not all that weak either! Great "save" move

MARTH: THE MOST OVERUSED, I am one of the only people I know who does not like Marth, I don't like Marth mainly because so many people do like him, I have had numerous 4 person matches where I'm the only non-Marth, has a sword, one of the few characters to be used so much I can't stand them...

ROY: Overused, but the least so of the "has a sword" category... I guess the "weaker" counterpart of Marth, a bit slower, perhaps equal knockback, and a charge attack that hurts him if not used right, but he has a fire sword!

SUPER SMASH BROS ONLY:

LUIGI: Fairly unused

MARIO: More oft used than Luigi

DONKEY KONG: Infrequent use

YOSHI: Used by a few people real well

CAPTAIN FALCON: Used by a few people

NESS: Not used much

FOX: Used infrequently

SAMUS: Most overused in the original SSB

LINK: Second most overused, has a sword

PIKACHU: The character I use the most

JIGGLYPUFF: Used specifically by the same player as before

RANT/INPUT OVER

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
My personal single best character for both games would have to be Kirby, granted he can get knocked around rather easily, but his one 'saving' move is his ability to float thought the air.....that and a warp star helped every now and again... :lol:

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My personal favorite is Yoshi.  I like speed more than power.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My personal favorite is Yoshi. I like speed more than power.
I like Yoshi as well. Yoshi is probably my 3rd best character. One of the main reasons i never really liked him was his lack of triple jump, but i guess the egg toss will help him jump in Brawl.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
What I didn't like about Melee was that my favourite character, Mewtwo, sucked.

For the chart, my most used character is Fox in both games, and likely will be in Brawl.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh how I love this series!  I wish I had friends around here who would actually play it with me. :(

As for favorite characters (either game), I'm saying
#1: Samus
#2: Yoshi
#3: Pikachu

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 12 2007 on  10:31 PM
Oh how I love this series!  I wish I had friends around here who would actually play it with me. :(
LOL! Same thing at my place! :lol Actually, I only have Melee. I never got the original.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
LOL! Same thing at my place!  Actually, I only have Melee. I never got the original.
I never owned the first one either. That was when i had to beg my mom to buy games for me :lol .

Oh how I love this series! I wish I had friends around here who would actually play it with me. 
I have 2 older brothers so i always had someone to play against/with. Also, most of my friends play Smash, though most of them aren't that great (only 3 can beat a lvl 9 comp) but its still fun. We always used to have 3 of us team up on a lvl 9/ handicap 9 Ganondorf on Hyrule Temple with only 1 handicap each. :lol  His weakest hit would kill us. :lol

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
YAY HANDICAP FIGHTS

I like making ULTRA sudden death :p SSD everyones'  handicap set to 1 (so environmental hazards are even more effective) and damage ratio to 2.0!

bombs and stuff on, you can be losing, not because of luck, but because you're laughing so hard you aren't paying attention... things fly so fast you don't know what's going on, all you know is that was NOT where you were standing, the best level for this is the Super Mario Bros 1 style level... you will bounce in directions that don't seem to make sense, you'll get thrown left, hit a brick and fly off the TOP of the screen... -shrugs-... it's true...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html heres a site with the latest updates... known characters so far.... -rant start-

Mario - expected
Link - expected - has a sword
Kirby - expected
Pikachu - expected - I hope they bring back Pichu, or at least have the same alt costumes...
Fox - expected
Samus - expected
Zelda - expected
Bowser  - expected
Donkey Kong - expected
Yoshi - expected
Pit - ... REALLY? Pit? 1 game and now he's a celebrity?
Wario - Gimmick! We needed Family Guy humor for the series I guess?
PokÈmon Trainer - ...... WHY? Why not just have a pokÈball like the other games, and have EACH of these... I guess I'm judging too early, this may be revolutionary... but it just seems...hmm...
Zero Suit Samus - has a sword
Ike - has a sword

-current rant end-