The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discuss: The Cave of Many Voices

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why haven't we talked about this one yet? :huh:

Let us please discuss this one.  I'll give my opinion on it later. :)

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I believe that the "episode 9" we have is really episode 1, or at least, the first episode shown on YTV. Whether this is the first episode in the order of the show's of events is unknown. Anyway, we learn that Chomper's parents have given Ruby the responsibility of watching over him, and that the inhabitants of the valley have allowed Chomper and Ruby to stay in a series of caves. We don't know the exact circumstances of Ruby and Chomper meeting the original five, but we see that the main characters must have met them, because they don't act surprised when they see them in the valley.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, Universal could be doing what other TV related companies have done.  Which is show a certian number of episodes first, then show the multi-part origin later in the series.

There are shows that have done this.  One example is the 1989 cartoon, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.  This show went through over 50 episodes before showing how the Rescue Rangers got together and what their first case was.

Another one was Freakazoid!, where they didn't show how the hero got his powers until the 6th episode.

Even multiple versions of Batman, Superman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have done something like this.

For all we know, Universal could be doing the same with LBT.

Anyways, further research has proven this episode to actually be the first to air on TV.

It seems that the first two eps consisted of the following plots: Ep. 1: Finding Chomper a new cave to live in.  Ep. 2: A tooth related plot. (Maybe toothache?)

This info came from a TV Guide website.  I'll get back to you later with the link. :)

Ryuukokoro

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Feb 23 2007 on  09:46 AM
You know, Universal could be doing what other TV related companies have done.  Which is show a certian number of episodes first, then show the multi-part origin later in the series.

There are shows that have done this.  One example is the 1989 cartoon, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.  This show went through over 50 episodes before showing how the Rescue Rangers got together and what their first case was.

Another one was Freakazoid!, where they didn't show how the hero got his powers until the 6th episode.

Even multiple versions of Batman, Superman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have done something like this.

Anyways, further research has proven this episode to actually be the first to air on TV.

It seems that the first two eps consisted of the following plots: Ep. 1: Finding Chomper a new cave to live in.  Ep. 2: A tooth related plot. (Maybe toothache?)

This info came from a TV Guide website.  I'll get back to you later with the link. :)
Interesting! I have a question. For the series you use as examples, such as Chip n' Dale and Freakazoi, were these explanary episodes done as like a flashback? Some character asks how it all began and then the gang remembers? Or is it just randomly an episode that seems out of order, with no explanation as to why we're suddenly taken back so far in the show's timeline? I would be interested in seeing how they fit a 'backstory' episode in.

Ryuukokoro

• Chomper
    • View Profile
You want to know something I found interesting about this episode? Chomper seems to be able to go into a 'rage.' When he gets upset about the water dripping in his cave he seems to lose all reason and attacks the stalagtites, roaring in rage. Only a fall in the puddle brought him back to his senses, and he seemed dismayed at what he had just done. This really interested me. Perhaps anger triggers a more Sharptooth-like reaction in Chomper (or in other words...maybe he has a temper lol)

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I noticed that too; this could prove to be a liability later on... that rage wasn't ever seen in any of the other main characters, and even when they did get angry, it was over something more important, and they never lost it like this.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ryuukokoro,Feb 24 2007 on  04:58 PM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Feb 23 2007 on  09:46 AM
You know, Universal could be doing what other TV related companies have done.  Which is show a certian number of episodes first, then show the multi-part origin later in the series.

There are shows that have done this.  One example is the 1989 cartoon, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.  This show went through over 50 episodes before showing how the Rescue Rangers got together and what their first case was.

It seems that the first two eps consisted of the following plots: Ep. 1: Finding Chomper a new cave to live in.  Ep. 2: A tooth related plot. (Maybe toothache?)

This info came from a TV Guide website.  I'll get back to you later with the link. :)
Interesting! I have a question. For the series you use as examples, such as Chip n' Dale and Freakazoi, were these explanary episodes done as like a flashback? Some character asks how it all began and then the gang remembers? Or is it just randomly an episode that seems out of order, with no explanation as to why we're suddenly taken back so far in the show's timeline? I would be interested in seeing how they fit a 'backstory' episode in.
TMNT did do flashbacks with their latest version.  In that one, they were told by Splinter.  We even find out his origin.

Batman and Superman have a dream-like sequence.  They somehow get knocked out, and we go back to the beginning.  And most likely, the villian and event happening somehow works with the beginning.

As for Freakazoid!, (Yes, that show's title actually had an exclamation point in it.) it did it as a narraration deal.  It was a sad state compared to the other action/comedy related episodes within the series.

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers just put it in.  Luckily, it was 5 eps long, so it gave the writers plenty of time to explain how it all started.  And with the idea of villians working together, and how problematic the Rescue Rangers were when they started, it was worth waiting 50+ episodes for it to appear.

As for Chomper's anger issue, that is pretty interesting.  I wonder if Redclaw will use it to his advantage eventually. (It would make him more like a real villian.)

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, with the Rescue Rangers, they put the origin case as the series starter. Television stations premiered it as one continuous movie.  It was later broken up into 5 parts, to fit a syndication schedule.  (I was and still am a bit of a fan.)

I do see a potential exploitable weakness with Chomper's rage issue.  Hopefully Redclaw won't be able to take advantage of it.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Feb 22 2007 on  09:49 AM
I believe that the "episode 9" we have is really episode 1, or at least, the first episode shown on YTV.
What episode are you exactly referring to? I have just downloaded nearly all the episodes and would like to watch them in the correct sequence of events, but I still don't understand, which of the episode guides that can be found on internet is the right one.

Dinonut

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://freewebs.com/ryan_dinomite/
This episode also had a reference to Jurassic Park in it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Loved this one!  It was fun and exciting.  The only part that was kinda lame was the yelling in the cave.  They seemed to over do it.  The rest of it was good and it's a heck of a lot better than anything else I've seen on tv so far (just got cable 2 days ago). :)

Dinonut

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://freewebs.com/ryan_dinomite/
The reference to Jurassic Park in this episode happened in the cave when Chomper said "Don't move! Redclaw can't see you if you're still!"

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I love how Chomper is portrayed in the series, especially when he tries to stop the water from flooding his cave. It really shows hom much of a kid he is.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, and makes him seem more real by getting frustrated as anyone does sometimes.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If you are asking why did Chomper's cave become leaky it's so the script writers could have an episode.  One of those magical things called a plot device that may not make sense but they do it anyway to have an episode.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
When Screech and Thud (were they identified by name in this one?) broke out of the wall, the gang all yelled at once, and started running away, but they were all frozen in place for a few moments before they started moving (similar to what normally happens in Scooby-doo when they get chased).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com