The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cut scenes from the land before time 11?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
Threehorn found some rather interesting images on a webpage on the land before time 11 (funnily enough a German webpage). There are four images each of which are supposed to be scenes from the movie, but none of them actually is.
Before I continue I will just post the pictures here so you know what I am talking about:

All of these pictures all have a funny look to them which makes me think that none of them was actually part of a produced scene of whatever kind. Maybe they were concepts for a background of a DvD menu or the like. I cannot be sure, but here are my points why I don't suppose they were actual scenes from a movie:
In picture number one and three we have postures we have scene elsewhere on images already. Cera in both of these pictures was shown in the very same posture (it is the very same posture that has just been mirrored and changed in color) elsewhere, though right now I can't say where exactly. Ducky in picture number three has been in this posture (among other) on the covers of the 8th and 9th movie (again mirorred). As for the second of these pictures Littlefoot and "Big Daddy" just look way to "clean" really very much as if they had been pasted in front of a background without any further attempts to make them look like they belonged there. There isn't even a shadow for "Big Daddy".
Now the fourth picture is somewhat different:

I'm positive I've seen this one on several webpages already but never paid too much attention to it. It is not a scene that was in the movie, but of all these pictures this one looks most like it had been cut from a movie scene. There is some kind of strange bluish reflection on all three characters, but that need not mean it is not from a completed scene. I tried to make sure about it by asking Cera's voice actor Anndi McAffee about it. Alas I fear it would have been too time consuming. Her response was curt:
I have no idea if they cut anything out of the movies. I don't keep the scripts and after 8 movies, I barely remember what they are about. Yes, I am continuing to voice Cera for the TV series. We started recording this week.
Sort of sad.  :(
At least there is the good news that Cera's voice will remain the same in the movies to come.  :)
As for that scene I reckon we can only speculate for the moment.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Maybe its just me, but those images look really.....flat...don't you think?  They look like they'd fit better on a poster than a piece of animation in the film.

As for the reply Ms. McAfee gave, curt as it may be, I'm sure its accurate.  Since they dub the voices before anything is animated, they aren't really going to know what's to be used or in what sequence once they've done their job.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I've seen those pics on the n54 forum and I still reckon they could be concept artwork rather than deleted scenes from LBT 11. Like planning cels of how the scene is going to looked before they actually put it into production. Concept art is normally drawn up during the pre-production stages of film-making and it looks like these particular ones were the final ideas of each of the scene as we can all see them in movie (but not exactly as they're displayed there). Either that or someone's done a very good photo-editting job and put it all together and altered some of the details.

Either way, some nice looking pictures though ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe its just me, but those images look really.....flat...don't you think?
:huh:  Didn't you read what I wrote at all???
I clearly pointed out why I think at least the first three pictures can hardly be actual outcut scenes! I also made guesses on what they might be.
I pointed out that the fourth of the pictures looks different to me (it does not have quite the same flat quality).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 8 2006 on  07:11 AM
Maybe its just me, but those images look really.....flat...don't you think?
:huh:  Didn't you read what I wrote at all???
I clearly pointed out why I think at least the first three pictures can hardly be actual outcut scenes! I also made guesses on what they might be.
I pointed out that the fourth of the pictures looks different to me (it does not have quite the same flat quality).
Of course I did.  My post is just in agreement that I don't think these are cut scenes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are interesting news about whether or not there are outcut scenes in the land before time sequels. Anndi was kind enough to remember my question and during this weeks recordings she asked "Charlie" about it. This is what she told me:
Malte,
Charlie said we record about 8 more minutes of dialogue (per movie) than they actually use. They extra scenes are kept in storage and he has been trying to convince Universal to put them onto a future DVD but so far they have no plans to do so.

-anndi
So it sounds like scenes are cut out on a quite regular basis and that there are thoughts of putting them on a DvD on the part of Charles Grosvenor. I sure keep my fingers crossed that he can convince those whose agreement is needed.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
That seems to be the standard thing to do nowadays. Movies arent just about playing the feature length flick, it's about what extras you can get on the DVD once it's comes across to that time. Deleted scenes, making of documentries, concept art etc. In doing so, it makes it all the more enticing for customers to buy the product and therefore, the filmmakers can make a little extra cash on it. It's very rare to find a movie (done professionally) that doesn't have some kind of editted material left on the cutting room floor be it during the pre-production, storyboarding, editted script, offline edit, online edit etc. It's highly unlikely that film companies will use 100% of their planned footage...could be due to technical faults, human errors or just change of ideas. There is always gonna be something left over...it's just great that the extras on DVD can let us see into potential ideas that the creators had before deciding to edit it out