The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Multiplayer LBT RPG game

action9000 · 224 · 20697

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: action9000,Jun 19 2008 on  02:01 AM
I'll see if I can reproduce this.
I'm having a hard time reproducing this bug. I'll try it later on a slower computer.

How powerful is the computer you're running it on?
Beats me. Where would I go to find this out? My Computer?

An Upate on my game Progress: I'm currently reenacting Neil Armstorng jumping round on the moon's surface. It's so open and free, and quiet. One small step for a cube, one giant leap for cubekind...

I'm having way too much fun with this.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Beats me. Where would I go to find this out? My Computer
Settings -> Control Panel -> System.

The "General" tab shows the important specs of your computer on the bottom-right.
If you can read that off to me that would be awesome.  
By the way, your name is in the credits as a playtester now....we don't have credits yet but we will!
I put you in as LettuceBacon&Tomato.  If you want a different name, let me know. B)

One small step for a cube, one giant leap for cubekind...
This....I love it!  I'm putting this in my code somewhere so I don't forget to put it in the credits later on. :p

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Is this what you're looking for? "System Properties" says 1.59 GHz, 896 MB of RAM. Is that it?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
System Properties" says 1.59 GHz, 896 MB of RAM. Is that it?
That will do perfect, thanks. :)

Okay, so it's a slower computer.  I suspect that has something to do with it.  I can't reproduce it at all on my computer.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
By the way, now that the game is showing real signs of life, I'll be setting up a subforum very shortly where we can discuss this project in more detail, in multiple topics.

I'll be setting that up now.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: action9000,Jun 19 2008 on  02:07 AM
  By the way, your name is in the credits as a playtester now....we don't have credits yet but we will!
I put you in as LettuceBacon&Tomato.  If you want a different name, let me know. B)
I'M IN THE CREDITS!!!!!!!  :D  :)  :wow  :DD  :lol  :P:  :lol:

Put me down as Nicholas Halsey. My name's already in my email address, so it's not really a secret anymore.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Put me down as Nicholas Halsey. My name's already in my email address, so it's not really a secret anymore.
Will do!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As of now, we have an entire subforum to discuss the development of this game!  Feel free to start topics as you wish.  I set up this subforum so we have plenty of space to discuss various aspects of the project and so we can organize our ideas.

Feel free to use this space. :)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
All right, I've reviewed the Green sky bug a little, and I tnink I knw what happens...

It looks like the sky is roughly cubical in shape. The green appears when Neil Cubestrong is in the air, and the camera is set up in such a way so that you can't see the ground. Neil will freeze in the air while the mouse button is held down (or possibly he's back on the ground, and you're looking through the bottom of the floor), and while you can still rotate in a circle, the green appears when Neil overlaps corners. If the camera angle is tilted enough so that the ground would become visible, or you let go of the mouse, the angle jolts back to normal, forward vision (and the words "COLLIDED BOTTOM" appear).

Is that clear at all?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It looks like the sky is roughly cubical in shape.
The sky is actually a MASSIVE cube that covers the entire world. It has a diameter 1.2 million 3d units.  By comparison, that map you're walking on is 4096 units long.   :lol
Eventually the sky won't look so "cubish".  The graphics are all temporary.  The solid green background was just driving me nuts. :p

(or possibly he's back on the ground, and you're looking through the bottom of the floor)
Neil is on the ground, you're just looking through the floor.  This is a little bug I need to go back and fix, too.

when Neil overlaps corners
overlaps corners...you mean Neil's corners go into the ground?  I'm not entirely clear on this I'm afraid.  I positioned the camera as you mentioned and I can't reproduce it on either of my computers.

By the way...Neil Cubestrong....That's AWESOME! :D  :lol

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: action9000,Jun 19 2008 on  02:35 AM
when Neil overlaps corners
overlaps corners...you mean Neil's corners go into the ground?  I'm not entirely clear on this I'm afraid.  I positioned the camera as you mentioned and I can't reproduce it on either of my computers.
Not Neil's corners, the corners of the cube in the sky. He doen't technically overlap them, he's just in front of them, from our point of view. If our camera were the Earth, Neil was the moon, and the corner of the cube in the sky were the sun, we'd be in eclipse. That's when the corner of the sky turns green.

I think all that happens is, whatever you have set to keep the camera from going through the floor, it doesn't work when Neil is in the air.

I think all you need to do is make it so the camera can't go through the ground even while Neil's in the air. Then, once you can't see from under the floor, you can't get in the right position to see the green, so it should all work out. (BTW, this is coming from someone who's technological know-how is limited to [[Wikipdia]] editing, so don't put too much credit in what I think.)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If our camera were the Earth, Neil was the moon, and the corner of the cube in the sky were the sun, we'd be in eclipse. That's when the corner of the sky turns green.
Okay, I get it. B)
I just tried that now and I still don't get the green effect.  I'll definitely keep it in mind though.

I think all that happens is, whatever you have set to keep the camera from going through the floor, it doesn't work when Neil is in the air.
That does seem to be true.  I will look into that.

I think all you need to do is make it so the camera can't go through the ground even while Neil's in the air. Then, once you can't see from under the floor, you can't get in the right position to see the green, so it should all work out.
Eventually what I want to do is set up the camera so that when it hits the ground, it doesn't just go *THUD* into the ground.  Instead, it will smoothly move towards the player as you continue to scroll the camera into the ground.  I'm not entirely sure how to do that but that's the plan. :p

BTW, this is coming from someone who's technological know-how is limited to [[Wikipdia]] editing, so don't put too much credit in what I think.)
Hey, you're getting a bug so it's something I need to concern myself with.  Thank you very much for your input. :)

but I'm going to bed: it's almost 3am here!  See ya another time. B)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
'Night! It's 2am here, so I should probably hit the sack as well. Glad to be of service!

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Mayble, we should create a specific network in Hamachi to everyone, who wants to test the game, to join. What do you say? :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Testing on slowslow laptop again......

Okay. I could actually walk(framerate = 1:P) but I could still walk! what I couldn't do last time haha.

But I guess.. This game is just too much for this laptop still even when I have no process at all runing at the background.

895 MHz.. 240MB.. Pentium 3. windows xp.. Guess next time I'll just test it on the 'good' computer with the red font  :p . But my brothers are always earlier on it than i am.. :cry  :wow

I'll post some results of testing it on other computer later. :^.^:

Good idea of the extra forum, that's something that I thought of as well. Wanted to tell you this morning but you werent really on..( must've been 11pm at your time ). And I want to tell you something else as well but that's not related to this thing, so I'll just wait for you to come online :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tested on good computer. found a bug in the sky as well.

The text.. You cant type very long messages(because it will show it on one line only.. :p) Though I know you had some problems with the text so I won't bother ya with that yet.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The text.. You cant type very long messages(because it will show it on one line only.. ) Though I know you had some problems with the text so I won't bother ya with that yet.
Yeah, that is something else with the text that I have to get worked out. :P:

found a bug in the sky as well.
Heh, I totally forgot about that.  Right now what I'm doing, because the players don't have their custom dino graphics yet, is I'm just making 100 cubes and storing them somewhere until a player grabs control of one. :p  
I don't quite know why they're appearing on-screen (thought I had them invisible...apparently not!) but that's what's happening. :lol

Mayble, we should create a specific network in Hamachi to everyone, who wants to test the game, to join. What do you say? 
We have a GoF Hamachi server.  I don't remember if you're on it or not. If you're not, let me know and I'll get you the login information.
It's VITAL that we keep the server private.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: action9000,Jun 19 2008 on  11:22 PM
We have a GoF Hamachi server.  I don't remember if you're on it or not. If you're not, let me know and I'll get you the login information.
It's VITAL that we keep the server private.
Understood. I'll contact you via PM. :)
BTW, here comes report on some bugs i have found:
1) When you pushing "/" button to start writing a message, "/" symbol appears in the text box. I believe, that pushing "/" button must only start a typing process; :huh:
2) You can send an empty message. That's incorrect, usually sending an empty message just turning off the typing process. ;)
Maybe it will be a good idea to disable the "quit" function on the "escape" button? It would be rather used to call for the menu or to quit typing message function. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
1) When you pushing "/" button to start writing a message, "/" symbol appears in the text box. I believe, that pushing "/" button must only start a typing process;
I agree with this.  I'll figure out some way to make this nicer. :)

2) You can send an empty message. That's incorrect, usually sending an empty message just turning off the typing process.
Okay, I will try to set it so that if the message is blank, pressing ENTER simply ends the chat process and goes back to the game.

Maybe it will be a good idea to disable the "quit" function on the "escape" button? It would be rather used to call for the menu or to quit typing message function.
Eventually ESC will open a main menu where players can change options (controls, graphics, etc). I just needed a way to quickly exit the program right now (for testing) so I just set a key to close everything.
You're absolutely right though, this would be very bad in a complete game!  We will need graphics to make a menu though.  Once we get graphics (I might make temporary ones soon) for this menu, I'll just have the menu load when you press ESC instead of closing the game.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jun 20 2008 on  08:34 AM
1) When you pushing "/" button to start writing a message, "/" symbol appears in the text box. I believe, that pushing "/" button must only start a typing process;
I agree with this.  I'll figure out some way to make this nicer. :)
If you just type '/' and press backspace afterwards you can still type ^^, but I guess you already knew. Lets just see what you can do with the text..  :^.^: