The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Multiplayer LBT RPG game

action9000 · 224 · 20771

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The problem is.. The great valley seems to change every movie..
I know, that will be a pain.  I'm hoping there is some logical way to put every major location in the Valley from each movie onto a single map, while it still making sense to what happens in every movie.  

This may not actually be possible, I don't know.  I'm looking for a great mind who is willing to take on the challenge and find out once and for all! :D  :wow

As Mumbling pointed out, there is no "One map of the Great Valley" in the movies.  What we need to do is engineer a map that is as continuous with the movies as possible, allowing every event in the films to make sense if it took place on our map, ideally.  It won't be easy, but unless we want people going "But if this is here, than...in LBT #, this couldn't have happened!" we need to get it right. B)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm.. I could try.

Although I will start mixing tomorrow too..

Got time enough this weekend to watch all lbt movies and check what is where =D.

Heh..

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Got time enough this weekend to watch all lbt movies and check what is where =D.

Heh..
LOL, no rush, of course. :)  I suspect this will be a very long-term project.  If we can cut it down to a very long-term project from a very, very, very, very, very long-term project though, I think everyone will be happier! :D

Thank you Mumbling, and anyone else willing to help with this massive undertaking. :yes

Although I will start mixing tomorrow too..
Which reminds me, I have an update for you.  I'll get it to you later today.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Going to bed now. I'll see what I can do for ya tim.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can help, if that's ok
Sure, that would be awesome! :D

Going to bed now. I'll see what I can do for ya tim.
Goodnight, and thanks, Mumbling!

My advice to everyone who wants to help:
Get the movies to your computer and take screenshots.  LOTS of screenshots.  They'll help you identify locations when you can flip through a lot of them quickly.

Check the When You're On Your Own topic for my latest update to your song. B)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Update:
Here's a link to the game as it is now:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RV09O4CH

You need to extract all of the files to the same folder, somewhere on your computer, for it to work.

It does require DirectX 9.0c and I don't gurantee that it will work on a Mac not running Windows.  If a Mac user can prove otherwise, please do!

Controls (like a typical 3rd person 3D RPG):
W: move forward
S: move backward
Q: strafe left
E: strafe right
A: turn left
D: turn right
ESC: Close the game.  It should close instantly but it may take up to 5 seconds depending on your computer.

Hold the LEFT mouse button to control the camera with the mouse.  You may move the cube while holding the mouse button.

Known bugs:
-No gravity: if you go off the map, you don't fall.
-Holding Right-click will stop the camera where it is.  Right-click is the next feature to be implimented.  This action is temporary.
-Releasing the left mouse button "teleports" the camera back to the default position instead of smoothly scrolling back.  This is to be fixed soon.
- When you left-click, the mouse cursor disappears, which is correct.  However, when you release the left mouse button, your cursor appears in a different location from where it was when you clicked the button.  Ideally, it should pop back up in the same place.  The same is true for right-clicking.

The game is set to 800x600 resolution in 32-bit colour, so it should perform on most computers.  When we're further in development, we'll give players a bunch of ways to control graphic quality.  We're in DirectX 9 so this game can look pretty if we try. :D

Sorry I couldn't go DirectX 10.  I don't have Vista so I can't support it at all, nor do I want to force everyone to get Vista to run this. :p
DarkBasic Pro doesn't support DirectX 10, either.  DX 9 it is. B)

Give it 10-15 seconds on the full black screen to load.  If  you get an error, please let me know what it is.  Thanks. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've done some screenshots of places and some plants & such on the lbt wiki.  The thing I recall is most of the places in the great valley they do not say this is next to that, you have to go past or through this to get to that.  In some cases they do, but not in every case, nor do they say how far certain places are, except for certain places like the great stone walkover (natural bridge) is Cera says it'll take most of the day to get there.  Though she could be exaggerating.  Some places do not have pictures since I do not have the dvd's that contain the movies or episodes.  They are not very good, but it may be a starting place.  

Some Places:
http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Locations

Some Plants:
http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Plants

---------

Saurus Rock: http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Saurus_Rock

Smoking Mountain: http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Smoking_Mountain

Threehorn Peak: http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Threehorn_Peak

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have observed LBT 2. made a word document and some screenshots.. Most places are clear to me.. I just have to put them on a 'map' so it will be clear to those who have not followed the movie the way i did:P

SolarThreehorn

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I've got some screenshots of some streams, including water falls and thundering falls,
long distance shots, i'm tring to work out were they are in proportion to the rest of the
Valley, also have a few shots of petrie's nest

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
About the last update of the game.. With me it doesn't really wants to open because d3dx9_35.dll is missing :p. No idea which dll it is but I haven't got it?

SolarThreehorn

• Chomper
    • View Profile
About the last update of the game.. With me it doesn't really wants to open because d3dx9_35.dll is missing

Same here

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Odd.. Then it isn't just me..

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/d3dx9_35.zip?0VDePDWKiR here we can download it.

Just copy the dll file and put it in C:Windows/System

I think you should add that to the zipped thing Tim.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
That DLL file you're missing, is part of the DirectX 9 set of DLLs...  Hmm, odd...  If you have DirectX 9, it should be there...

EDIT: Oh, and this idea totally ROCKS.  I haven't read the whole thread yet; no time right now.  I will later!  And...  Tech demos already??  Woot! :wub:
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If you've got Windows XP, you should have it...

You can find out; click Start, click Run, and type dxdiag.

When it's all said and done, it should tell you your DirectX version...

...I can point you guys in the right direction, for the very LAST DirectX 9 update; it was done in, uhh...  February, I think?  But, I don't have the link right now...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
No problem, dear friend! :)  Or, should I say, Yahweh's Butterfly?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You mean... IM you?

D'oh; that's right!  It's the weekend!