The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dinosaurs Vs Aliens

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Has anyone heard of the upcoming movie, Dinosaurs Vs Aliens? I only recently found out about it. It's still in the production stage and no trailers are available. And information on the movie is pretty scarce too.

The most I heard about the movie is that it takes place during the mesozoic era...maybe the cretaceous period at some point. An alien race decides to invade Earth, and the planet's only hope are the dinosaurs, who are portrayed as more intelligent than they were originally thought to be.

I might go see it. The concept sounds interesting. I'd like to see how they handle this. Who knows? It might be good.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
First we had Ninjas vs Aliens. Then we had Cowboys and Aliens. Now this. Are these films supposed to be connected or something?  :lol

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The problem I have with a lot of invasion-centered science fiction is that the defender is portrayed as having a fighting chance, eventhough it is often the case that one civilisation can send an army to another star and the other can't, and that by definition means a huge gap in development and power. It's a matter of basic math and physics. Building a fleet and sending it across the galaxy requires huge amounts of energy (dwarfing mankind's current total energy consumption). Any civilisation that can afford to build such a fleet, can also afford to maintain the military-industrial complex which produces such fleets. Which means they would have at least thousands of times more energy available than we do. Just as we have thousands of time more enregy available to us than ancient Egypt had. That's why in the real world the Independence Day aliens would obliterate Earth, and the Avatar humans would obliterate Pandora. Just as the modern U.S. military would do with the armies of ancient Egypt.

So, I'm hoping that if they really turn dinosaurs against aliens, I hope the dinosaurs will be at least as advanced as the Kra. That would make for a realistic conflict. Assuming an invasion would make military and economic sense in the first place, which is highly doubtful in almost all scenarios. But you have to make a leap of faith somewhere. Otherwise it would be pure science, not science fiction ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Apr 2 2012 on  05:05 PM
So, I'm hoping that if they really turn dinosaurs against aliens, I hope the dinosaurs will be at least as advanced as the Kra. That would make for a realistic conflict.
Did you read Dinosaur Wars?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be interesting, depending on how it's done.   Though realistically the aliens would win, unless some unforeseen thing like an earth germ killed them off.  

Though in the classic Dr Who series it makes a bit more sense with the doctor winning since he is from a society that is vastly more advanced then anything any alien who attacks earth can come up with.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I wonder if the end result would be similar to War OF the Worlds :idea

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon, Apr 3 2012 on  01:06 AM
Did you read Dinosaur Wars?

Yesterday I read reviews and excerpts on Google books. Impossible technologies (faster-than-light travel) and illogical military strategies (building a sophisticated Moon base that can function for millions of years instead of diverting the asteroid, a half-assed bombardment of Earth followed by a WW2-style ground invasion) aside, I think the Kra are quite an interesting species. Since the author is a palaeontologist, I'm sure he created a high tech society with a distinct and believable dinosaurian mentality. Creating convincing aliens is no easy job, so on this ground I would be willing to read Dinosaur Wars.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Having read the books, the stuff you mentioned, I could explain.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I sent a message to the author and he just sent a reply now.

For the faster-than-light travel, he says that never happens in Dinosaur Wars except when the "solidized light" is involved. When light is standing still, yeah you can travel faster than it. For the invasion, he says the reason the Kra don't go full on with destroying human is that they want to use humans as a food source for themselves as well as the other carnivores (plus it's part of their culture to eat fallen enemies). And finally, the reason they don't divert the asteroid instead is because by the time they knew about it, it was far too late to do anything about it.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you, DH, and you can extend my thanks to the author too. The answers are along the lines of what I expected. And they're somewhat problematic, but this is really not the place to debate this. Now that I have the first book I'll explore those issues myself. Then I will (hopefully) understand fully why things happened as they did. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure if it's true, but I read where a science fiction writer, forgot who, maybe Orson scot card, or another one, where among the articles he wrote he commented that humans don't reproduce fast enough to be a viable food source.  Though a temporary food source could be ok. And some societies may not care about viable food sources.  

It reminds me of an ooold comic book series, based on an idea that Leonard Nemoy had.  Primortals.  Though I've not read much of it, the publisher, Tekno comics, went poof and didnt' last long.  But I think the dinos were uplifted by aliens, & removed from the earth, and are anthro.  One evil one decides to return to earth to conquer it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Apr 4 2012 on  09:28 PM
Not sure if it's true, but I read where a science fiction writer, forgot who, maybe Orson scot card, or another one, where among the articles he wrote he commented that humans don't reproduce fast enough to be a viable food source.  Though a temporary food source could be ok. And some societies may not care about viable food sources.  

It reminds me of an ooold comic book series, based on an idea that Leonard Nemoy had.  Primortals.  Though I've not read much of it, the publisher, Tekno comics, went poof and didnt' last long.  But I think the dinos were uplifted by aliens, & removed from the earth, and are anthro.  One evil one decides to return to earth to conquer it.
I think that's what the author meant; that the Kra want to use humans as a temporary food source while they repopulate the world with animals and plants from their time. Plus to the Kra, meat is meat. They even eat their own species (well the Khe, another tribe of their own species that is).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Makes sense, some cultures could be like that.  Alien even more so.