The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Most Epic Sequel

MurMur · 25 · 3721

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Which Land Before Time sequel is the most epic?
You can use your own definition of "epic", but you have to explain it here.
Interestingly, the 13th film does have some "epic" qualities in it  :) .

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^indeed :DD the Yellowbellies farting on Ducky and Petrie, Cera: (roughly summarized)"But there's one wisdom you forgot: DON'T EVER WAKE ME AGAIN!!!" -->Littlefoot's expression  :spit  :lol

there are quite a few which deserve the title 'epic'. The one I consider as most epic is LBT 8 : The Big Freeze.
First I have to say that I do not just like it because it focusses on Ducky a lot, nope nope nope! It was the first movie I ever watched(along with the original) and also the one I watched most in my childhood. Back then I think I liked the fact that there's winter( ehm... Cold Time I meant) and it probably is the funniest but also one of the darkest sequels in my opinion.
I know I'm kinda alone with favorisizing LBT 8  :angel  :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
For me, it's got to be number ten. The scale was huge: all the Longnecks are getting called together to ward off what they see as the potential end of the world, the gang has to follow along without Littlefoot's typical leadership, and Littlefoot meets his long lost father and has a personal crisis that, for the first time, really gave a believable reason for him to leave the great valley. Totally epic.

Bruton the Iguanodon

For me, it's got to be number ten. The scale was huge: all the Longnecks are getting called together to ward off what they see as the potential end of the world, the gang has to follow along without Littlefoot's typical leadership, and Littlefoot meets his long lost father and has a personal crisis that, for the first time, really gave a believable reason for hom to leave the great valley. Totally epic.

I agree, totally!  :smile

But I have to say that just because it's "epic" doesn't make it a classic.

For obvious nostalgic reasons, movies 1-9 are the classics in my book. And the best---not most epic---sequels, in my opinion, are movies 2 and 3.  :smile

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh c'mon! LBT 3 had the huge sharptooth fight and valley fire lol  :idea

Bruton the Iguanodon

Oh c'mon! LBT 3 had the huge sharptooth fight and valley fire lol dino_idee.gif 

You're right, 3 is pretty epic. I know I say it a lot, but it's my favorite!  :smile

teapot333

• Ruby
    • View Profile
VII-stone of cold fire, because aliens!  also my first sequel.  after that, big freeze or mysterious island, not sure :confused

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
ah, new member  :wow

nice avatar you have :yes A fellow Ducky/Petrie fan like me I guess?:DD

I agree to Bruton and Ludicris that 3 is epic, would be the second most epic one on my list :lol

Yeah, the Rainbowfaces are considered to be aliens, while some like it like you teapot333 others hate them... I'm something between :)

Anyway, I'd be great if you could introduce yourself in the 'Welcome Center' so that we can get to know you
  :exactly

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Saying VII cuz it totally WAS!! With the new animation, LBT looked so much cooler, and the elements presented were a lot more intriguing.
Funny, the movie asked a lot of "what ifs" without giving the actual answers, but that's part of the fun, thinking of all the things we still need to learn ;)
I liked the whole alien element. Seemed perfectly fine to me. Don't understand why people hate it O_o (DR. WHO FTW!!)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Bruton the Iguanodon

I really liked the older animation of the first 3 sequels  :smile

Tikikata

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberrytiki.net
This was so hard to choose from!
I think I'll go with movie ten because of the longnecks "saving the world." It just felt really "epic" overall, and I got this feeling of satisfaction after everything that transpired. And the suspension of seeing if Littlefoot would go with his father or stay with his grandparents. Very intense moment, I think.

SkyColor-TreeSweets

• Ruby
    • View Profile
For me, the definition of "most epic" means that one, the story where the most characters are involved on the largest scale, and two, the one that adds the biggest changes to the story.

So considering that, I'll go with LBT 5 as the most epic. It was the first movie where the Great Valley, the paradise once thought to never run out of food or water, is left barren, and the characters have to leave, wonder around in the Mysterious Beyond, and are threatened with splitting up into separate herds, much like how they were in the beginning of the original movie.

Then the kids discover the sea-well, the Big Water, the Mysterious Island, and a swimming sharptooth for the first time. Then they reunite with Chomper-the only guest character to reappear in the films excluding cameos. Then some other exciting things happen, which while not new, are still quite well-done (the chase scene and the fight scene in the climax). At the end, the gang becomes friends with adult sharpteeth for the first time.
So even though things mostly went back to normal after this, overall, I think movie 5 was the one that introduced the most new elements involving the whole Great Valley herd so it is the most epic.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TabalugaDragon
for me it's LBT 7. The story of what happened to the adult group of dinisaurs, science fiction(which I'm a huge fan of) and the true adventure feel, which only a great movie may have.
But if it wasn't for LBT 7 I'd say 10(huge, really epic scale and significant events) LBT 5 and 8 would follow them, also LBT 3 is pretty good at that too, but it was too slow-paced for me

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
LBT 7

It just had a broader, more "cosmic" feel to it.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd have to say 7. Mainly because of how different is was from the others. It had a  bolder, hey let's try THIS now taste to it, and the mysterious alien element just added to it. Plus, it had a rock from space explode at the end.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Defining the term "epic" more appropriately, I have to change my view on this (though I can't change my vote anymore... meh! :D).
While VIII is still my favourite, I got to switch to either LBT III or LBT IV.

LBT III is epic in my opinion because of the valley drying up, the threatening fire and the awesome battle at the end :)

LBT IV is epic in my opinion because of Littlefoot's Grandpa's illness and because of the eventful journey to the Land of Mists :)

In some points, the early sequels are simply better than the later ones :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
A bit of a cop out answer but I reckon all the sequels have their own merits in some way, shape or form (yes...even the one at the end that no one likes :p) It's hard to say which one was any more "epic" than the others but I'd say the one I found myself going back to the most was probably #9.

I really liked how the gang's friendship was strained but in a different way, i.e. the invasion of an outsider into the already well established group. I also found it quite interesting seeing Littlefoot dealing with the pain and fear of being alone and the longing to be with someone despite the fact that his friends were *ahem* always there (ba-dum ching!) :oops It was almost a reprisal of his initial fears of loneliness from the first movie when he was truly on his own (for a portion of the movie anyway). Call it a nostalgic twinge, but I found a lot of draws and references to the first movie in #9 and I guess that's why I found myself drawn to it just as much as the first one.

...but that's just me! :D

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm going with 7, since Pterano is about the most complex character in the series, and still one of my favorites, and also ALIENS!!!! :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: SkyColor-TreeSweets,Feb 18 2014 on  04:25 PM
For me, the definition of "most epic" means that one, the story where the most characters are involved on the largest scale, and two, the one that adds the biggest changes to the story.

So considering that, I'll go with LBT 5 as the most epic. It was the first movie where the Great Valley, the paradise once thought to never run out of food or water, is left barren, and the characters have to leave, wonder around in the Mysterious Beyond, and are threatened with splitting up into separate herds, much like how they were in the beginning of the original movie.

Then the kids discover the sea-well, the Big Water, the Mysterious Island, and a swimming sharptooth for the first time. Then they reunite with Chomper-the only guest character to reappear in the films excluding cameos. Then some other exciting things happen, which while not new, are still quite well-done (the chase scene and the fight scene in the climax). At the end, the gang becomes friends with adult sharpteeth for the first time.
So even though things mostly went back to normal after this, overall, I think movie 5 was the one that introduced the most new elements involving the whole Great Valley herd so it is the most epic.
I would have to agree with your reasoning and choose the fifth film as well.  To me at least it had an undertone of epicness that was not present in the sequels up until that time.  Although the more serious tone of the film seemed to be toned down in the second half.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Mar 9 2014 on  02:13 PM
A bit of a cop out answer but I reckon all the sequels have their own merits in some way, shape or form (yes...even the one at the end that no one likes :p) It's hard to say which one was any more "epic" than the others but I'd say the one I found myself going back to the most was probably #9.

I really liked how the gang's friendship was strained but in a different way, i.e. the invasion of an outsider into the already well established group. I also found it quite interesting seeing Littlefoot dealing with the pain and fear of being alone and the longing to be with someone despite the fact that his friends were *ahem* always there (ba-dum ching!) :oops It was almost a reprisal of his initial fears of loneliness from the first movie when he was truly on his own (for a portion of the movie anyway). Call it a nostalgic twinge, but I found a lot of draws and references to the first movie in #9 and I guess that's why I found myself drawn to it just as much as the first one.

...but that's just me! :D
 :o hadn't thought of it that way.

Oh and "always therE" lol  :lol