The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Littlefoot's future in the Great Valley

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ok, not only do we have a Chomper problem, I think we might have a Grandpa and Grandma Longneck and Littlefoot problem.   Many argue that Grandpa and Grandma Longneck will pass away before Littlefoot reaches adulthood.  I hope they're wrong, just like I hope they're wrong about Chomper ending up eating Leaf Eaters and caving after so many years of being nice.  

Assuming they are right, however, we have an issue.  Say Grandpa and Grandma Longneck do both pass away.  One might argue that Bron could just bring his herd there, but as Bron didn't bother to bring his herd to the Crater in film X, maybe they all can't travel.  I know Bron said that maybe he'd bring his herd to the Great Valley someday, but he only used a maybe.  Plus, even if he could, who knows if the Great Valley can support a whole new herd permanently.  Bron likely just meant for a visit when he suggested that someday he might bring his herd over.  

I mean, the Far Walkers in Films IV (Ali's herd), VI (Doc), VII (a bunch of them), VIII (Tippy's herd), and the TV Series (Ali's and Tippy's herds again) never stay there.  Perhaps they are almost at population capacity.  If so, then maybe the Valley can't sustain Bron's herd.  Would Bron abandon his herd to be with his son in that case or would he require Littlefoot to leave his friends and the Great Valley?  

Also, let's face it, there seem to be few Longnecks, Fast Runners, or Spiketails in the Great Valley.   Ruby, Littlefoot, and Spike may have to leave to find mates and their mates might not wanna leave where they grew up to come to the Great Valley.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quick question. Your statement regarding Chomper makes it sound like you think that the moment he starts eating leafeater, he is no longer nice. Is that what you think? Or did I misinterpret?

Back on topic, I do not know how long LIttlefoot's grandparents have. It's difficult to say, since they aren't human. Species don't all age at the same rate, so it could go either way. It is still very possible they could die before Littlefoot becomes an adult. And when this happens would alter what would happen to Littlefoot.

He could either still be a kid and need something done. For example, a fancomic called The Times Of Change have his grandparents die and he has to leave the valley with his father. Or he could be a near adult at the time, and by that point, he would be independent enough to care for himself.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Your statement regarding Chomper makes it sound like you think that the moment he starts eating leafeater, he is no longer nice

I put a big

IF  in front of that.  :)  

Yes, if he caved, so to speak, he'd take a hit in likability with me.  

Actually, that's an understatement.  If he ends up eating Leaf Eaters just like the guy from the first movie, I'd kinda dislike him and maybe even consider him the Benedict Arnold of Land Before Time.  

As for Grandpa and Grandma Longneck, yes, actually, I personally kept them around until Littlefoot's kids were fully grown.  (I'm assuming that dinos can live to be over 100.  Dippledocus can.)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
given their age is is very likely they will die before Littlefoot will be an adult. we nearly had this happen in LBT4 when Grandpa nearly died. in that case, Littlefoot would have gone with Ali's herd. It is likely Bron would come for Littlefoot in the case of the death of one of his grandparents, so at least he will have his father to care for him. As for Chomper he cannot fight his meateater nature forever, at some point there will come a split between him and the gang simply due to their natures. He may be nice to them now, but eventually he will no longer be able to be friends with them.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Fine, I guess Littlefoot will be needing a Stone of Cold Fire to change those two problems in his life.  Where can he find one.......?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Mar 14 2015 on  09:32 PM
Fine, I guess Littlefoot will be needing a Stone of Cold Fire to change those two problems in his life.  Where can he find one.......?
stones of cold fire are extremely rare. and its not  as simple as  finding them anyway. both of those events (his grandparents dying and Chomper leaving) are inevitable, and nothing can be done to change them. all littlefoot can do is enjoy the time he has with them, for as long as it lasts.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I admit, poor Chomper does seem to have a problem being in the Great Valley itself.  Even if he could hold off eating Leaf Eaters if he were to stay away from them, being in the Great Valley for him trying not to crack, especially if he gets hungry and temptation comes knocking at night, to whack someone, it would be like someone trying to stay off chocolate while craving it and deciding to live in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for the rest of their life.  They'd go nuts if they didn't cave.   It can't last forever unless a substitute is found.

As for Grandma and Grandpa Longneck, we don't know how old they are nor how long their kinds live.  They could be around a while.  

I think a really creative solution can work to the Chomper problem, but, barring that, he's gonna have to go, yes.    I just hope LBT can think of that really creative solution just like the Star Wars the Clone Wars people were able to do with Ahsoka Tano, which, by the way, before the episode "The Wrong Jedi" aired, was as equally unsolvable as the Chomper problem so I'm even more strongly resolved not to give up hope, which it seems you have.

Believe me, I've argued against the odds in a major cartoon, with forum members and even the staff opposing my position and saying how impossible it was, and won before.  Don't doubt me.

There are ways to solve both the Chomper and Grandma and Grandpa Longneck dying too soon problems.    You just need to get REALLY creative.  Having either, or, heaven forbid, both the negative events you list as "practically inevitable" would be fatal to the series, or at least a bigger blow than the tragedy of the death of Mama Longneck.  On the other hand, a clever plotline, yes taking some leeway and perhaps altering some stuff a bit, could work.

I mean, in the Star Wars the Clone Wars, they were to bring back Darth Maul and save Ahsoka, even though she shoulda been screwed as Anakin's Padawan and not being in the third movie, and Maul was supposed to be dead.  

Yet, their stories sound believable enough that I can accept that Maul could have survived, half mad, with his lower half missing, and that Ahsoka could be expelled, reinstated but refuse to rejoin, feeling betrayed, hence she would not have been on the list of the Lost (Jedi who left the Order), the expelled (as she got put back in), wouldn't be in Episode III, and would survive Order 66.  And Anakin would be pissed about it and move closer to the Dark Side all the same and hence her death wasn't needed to further the plot line, as so many had argued against me that it was.  

Clever solutions and plotlines.  Happy audience.  You need to learn to think outside the box.  

Anyway, I think chomperrules1993 and The Lone Dragon might back me.  Especially chomperrules1993.   I'm not alone.  :)  

Also, I've seen fanfics where Grandma and Grandpa ARE alive when Littlefoot and Ali have kids, so clearly everyone doesn't think they have to die either.  

However, I think we've said enough on this topic.  Given the kid friendly nature of LBT, I think, should they ever reach that point of adulthood and Chomper should still be involved, they will be seeing things MY way.  

What you guys are saying does seem the most logical, just like it did for the Ahsoka situation till the final episode of season 5, yet there is this little thing called marketability, and it runs against what you're saying.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
but in Star Wars the universe is much larger, with many different planets different races etc. just because you got lucky on that case doesnt mean it will happen again. Dont press your luck here LAT.
 you cant compare anything from Star wars to LBT, because LBT is far more narrow and limited a universe than Star Wars is . Chomper is a meateater and however much you strain the ' accept differences' idea that was the building of Littlefoot and his friends into their group  to include a meateater, inevitably Chomper will have to leave, because he cant deny his nature. he will have to eat meat.Like you said its akin to giving someone trying to cut back on chocolate a lifetime supply of it courtesy of old Willy Wonka. they'll snap, inevitably. As for Grandpa and Grandma Longnecks age , even if dinosaurs CAN live to be 100,it doesnt mean that they WILL. With predation,food concerns and various other things, its rare that a dino lives to an old age, the conditions have to be just right for it. its pretty safe to assume that Grandpa and Grandma are at least 70, and more likely 80, years of age. so lets assume littlefoot is 7, that would mean they'll only live at best until he was 27, in the most likely scenario.  and thats assuming they live to be 100.no guarantee of that. when a person reaches 80, life becomes a year to year thing. they could die at any time. Grandpa very nearly died in LBT4, had the gang arrived with the plant even a day later, he would have been dead. and that would have been the end of the gang, as Littlefoot and Grandma would have left the Valley to travel with Ali, her mom and their herd, in all likelihood never to see Cera and the others again
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Mar 14 2015 on  10:48 PM
I admit, poor Chomper does seem to have a problem being in the Great Valley itself.  Even if he could hold off eating Leaf Eaters if he were to stay away from them, being in the Great Valley for him trying not to crack, especially if he gets hungry and temptation comes knocking at night, to whack someone, it would be like someone trying to stay off chocolate while craving it and deciding to live in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for the rest of their life.  They'd go nuts if they didn't cave.   It can't last forever unless a substitute is found.

As for Grandma and Grandpa Longneck, we don't know how old they are nor how long their kinds live.  They could be around a while.  

I think a really creative solution can work to the Chomper problem, but, barring that, he's gonna have to go, yes.    I just hope LBT can think of that really creative solution just like the Star Wars the Clone Wars people were able to do with Ahsoka Tano, which, by the way, before the episode "The Wrong Jedi" aired, was as equally unsolvable as the Chomper problem so I'm even more strongly resolved not to give up hope, which it seems you have.

Believe me, I've argued against the odds in a major cartoon, with forum members and even the staff opposing my position and saying how impossible it was, and won before.  Don't doubt me.

There are ways to solve both the Chomper and Grandma and Grandpa Longneck dying too soon problems.    You just need to get REALLY creative.  Having either, or, heaven forbid, both the negative events you list as "practically inevitable" would be fatal to the series, or at least a bigger blow than the tragedy of the death of Mama Longneck.  On the other hand, a clever plotline, yes taking some leeway and perhaps altering some stuff a bit, could work.

I mean, in the Star Wars the Clone Wars, they were to bring back Darth Maul and save Ahsoka, even though she shoulda been screwed as Anakin's Padawan and not being in the third movie, and Maul was supposed to be dead.  

Yet, their stories sound believable enough that I can accept that Maul could have survived, half mad, with his lower half missing, and that Ahsoka could be expelled, reinstated but refuse to rejoin, feeling betrayed, hence she would not have been on the list of the Lost (Jedi who left the Order), the expelled (as she got put back in), wouldn't be in Episode III, and would survive Order 66.  And Anakin would be pissed about it and move closer to the Dark Side all the same and hence her death wasn't needed to further the plot line, as so many had argued against me that it was.  

Clever solutions and plotlines.  Happy audience.  You need to learn to think outside the box.  

Anyway, I think chomperrules1993 and The Lone Dragon might back me.  Especially chomperrules1993.   I'm not alone.  :)  

Also, I've seen fanfics where Grandma and Grandpa ARE alive when Littlefoot and Ali have kids, so clearly everyone doesn't think they have to die either.  

However, I think we've said enough on this topic.  Given the kid friendly nature of LBT, I think, should they ever reach that point of adulthood and Chomper should still be involved, they will be seeing things MY way.  

What you guys are saying does seem the most logical, just like it did for the Ahsoka situation till the final episode of season 5, yet there is this little thing called marketability, and it runs against what you're saying.
this is NOT a Star Wars Forum LAT. Star Wars is infinitely more marketable than LBT ,and infinitely more complex.  theres no need to think outside the box, when you are dealing with talking dinosaurs, who dont have any of the issues of say the Jedi or Sith. theres no weapons in LBT, no politics really to speak of. the Great Valley is a small safe oasis from a troubled and changing world, thats clear from the first film, and expanded on in the series. indeed the TV series itself introduced a lot of plotholes- we never learned how ruby or Chomper got into the Valley in the first place  or how well the adults took the newcomers at first.. there is only so much you can do with an area when that area is safe, as Tolkien wrote in the Hobbit, good things and  nice things are soon written about while bad things are far more interesting. the only way Littlefoot and the others leave the Valley is because they are forced to, for one reason or another , otherwise they'd stay and live their lives out in comfort. the ' lived happily ever after' ending.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, there is one dark solution Chomper could use to stop himself from killing Flatteeth.  And I could see him using it, knowing how loyal he is to Flatteeth and perhaps finding out what happened to Littlefoot's mother and wanting to make sure HE never did that to anybody!  

When the time comes, in your words, I still believe he's smart enough to think of a way around it, he will know he can't stop it if he continues to go on living.  So he will go to water and cast himself in to stop it, for the sake of his Flattooth friends.  In short, suicide.  If you wanna go dark routes, we can't rule that out either.   Littlefoot was willing to die to save him.  I could see Chomper sacrificing himself to save Leaf Eaters....from himself.  

As for Littlefoot's grandparents, I've been putting them in their late 50's to mid 60's.  Surely nothing over 70.  Disease can strike anyone at any age.  The fact that he nearly died of it means nothing about his age.   The Old One never said it had anything to do with age.  It could have killed kids before for all we know.  She only said that the sole cure was the Night Flower.

Anyway, this topic seems to be getting nowhere and it seems almost political at this point, with both of us just  :argue  :argue and  :bang  :bang on the issue and I think we'd best drop it until we see more LBT stuff to further our theories.   That's what we eventually did on the Star Wars issue, we dropped it and waited and saw.   If your theory pans out, though I'll be ticked, I'll just have to accept that that's what LBT chose and can write fanfics of AUs if I don't like it.   If, on the other hand, my arguments pan out, my idea line will have to be accepted by the fanbase as cannon.    If, as some think, the franchise never reaches the point where either the death of the grandparents or Chomper's seemingly inevitable fate striking, then technically it is up to OUR imaginations and we are BOTH right.

That is something I think we can BOTH agree on.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the grandparents are the oldest residents of the valley and  the comments in 4 (such as 'Grandma is not as strong as she used to be' ) do not speak of someone who is in  their 50s or 60s, but rather someone considerably older than that . as for Chomper killing himself , it  would never be permitted in an lbt film, remember this is aimed as kids, and young kids if you go by the direction the TV series took. illness can indeed strike at anytime, but the elderly are at increased risk of becoming sick. injuries get harder to recover from when you are old, as your body's defenses start to break down.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Mar 14 2015 on  11:39 PM
Well, there is one dark solution Chomper could use to stop himself from killing Flatteeth.  And I could see him using it, knowing how loyal he is to Flatteeth and perhaps finding out what happened to Littlefoot's mother and wanting to make sure HE never did that to anybody!  

When the time comes, in your words, I still believe he's smart enough to think of a way around it, he will know he can't stop it if he continues to go on living.  So he will go to water and cast himself in to stop it, for the sake of his Flattooth friends.  In short, suicide.  If you wanna go dark routes, we can't rule that out either.   Littlefoot was willing to die to save him.  I could see Chomper sacrificing himself to save Leaf Eaters....from himself.  

As for Littlefoot's grandparents, I've been putting them in their late 50's to mid 60's.  Surely nothing over 70.  Disease can strike anyone at any age.  The fact that he nearly died of it means nothing about his age.   The Old One never said it had anything to do with age.  It could have killed kids before for all we know.  She only said that the sole cure was the Night Flower.

Anyway, this topic seems to be getting nowhere and it seems almost political at this point, with both of us just  :argue  :argue and  :bang  :bang on the issue and I think we'd best drop it until we see more LBT stuff to further our theories.   That's what we eventually did on the Star Wars issue, we dropped it and waited and saw.   If your theory pans out, though I'll be ticked, I'll just have to accept that that's what LBT chose and can write fanfics of AUs if I don't like it.   If, on the other hand, my arguments pan out, my idea line will have to be accepted by the fanbase as cannon.    If, as some think, the franchise never reaches the point where either the death of the grandparents or Chomper's seemingly inevitable fate striking, then technically it is up to OUR imaginations and we are BOTH right.

That is something I think we can BOTH agree on.
it has nothing to do with accepting YOUR specific idea as canon (canon is with 1 n), but that that the writers chose that specific path, the fact that it happens to be  your personal preferred idea is mere coincidence.we do not have accept that your idea and yours alone is the correct one. thats extremely presumptuous of you. thats what communities like this are for top go over the films and stories with a fine tooth comb and add in our own ideas and thoughts. another thing LAT, stop calling your fanfictions LBT 15, 16 and so on. numerals are for canon entries only.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Others have used the numerals before here for their fanfics.  I'm not the first.  I believe someone had a LBT 15 called the Longneck Princess or something like that.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
still we greatly discourage using numbers in fanfictions. please stop using them.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile