The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rage of the Sharpteeth + side-story

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Warnings: Slight Blood, Hints of Character Death
Chapter: 1
Copyright: © characters and places by United Pictures; © Plot and OC by me
Author’s Note: The full version of what Tyra tells Grandma will be posted in this thread after this story finished. Warning, said Side-story might be a bit… nasty at times… I am thinking of just giving a small summary and a link to the particular chapter here, so that people can freely choose whether to read it. What do you think?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The Sharpteeth indeed took the surrounding lands for themselves. They did not hunt in the Valley once, though at times one or two of them would enter the valley to visit Chomper and Grandma Longneck. In turn Grandma would take Chomper and the other children to visit them every few months, something which at first was not received gladly by the other parents. But after seeing that the children always returned save and sound and even enjoyed the visits to the Mysterious Beyond they became more accepting. All except for Mr. Threehorn, who did not like the constant travels of his daughters to the Sharpteeth.

“He has a terrible history with your kind.” Tyra had visited the Longneck and her son in the Valley. None of the other Leafeaters knew that Chomper was not necessary as a translator since the Longneck was fluent in Sharptooth herself, but they liked to keep up appearances that he was needed. So it had come to be that Tyra and Grandma, in search for privacy had wandered out into the Mysterious Beyond again, leaving Chomper with his friends and strict orders not to tell anyone.

“Yet I think this is just ridiculous.” Tyra growled. “With all due respect, he should have gotten more accepting since we came here Cold Times ago, yet he still acts as if we are just a chomp away from eating his daughter.“

“He is protective of her. She is all he has left of his wife.”
Grandma told her. “She died together with all of Cera’s Nest-mates, killed by Sharpteeth just outside these valley-walls. He does not wish to risk his last daughter with her.”

“That does not mean he needs to snarl at any ëgood’ Sharptooth that comes near her.”
Tyra countered, setting her foot down with more force than was strictly necessary. “Rec has a terrible hate for Threehorns and Club-tails, but do you see him growling at every individual that passes by?”

Grandma blinked in surprise. ”You never told me something like that. Why is that?”

Tyra stopped walking briefly, looking away in sadness. Grandma Longneck was surprised to see a tear run down her cheek. “I have the feeling Rec and Mr. Threehorn are more alike than they think. It is a long story, perhaps we ought to find a comfortable place to rest before I start telling you.”

The Longneck nodded, following as the Sharptooth led her to a secluded patch of green among the mountains.

“You don’t have to tell me.”  She told the other as they settled on the grass covering the floor.

“It is not my grief that pains me.” Tyra looked at her. “It is Rec’s grief. Did you never wonder why Tyra does not look like either him or me? She looks like her mother, her real mother. She is not my child.”

“She is not?”
The Flattooth was surprised to say the least. Then Tyra explained to her how it came to be that White Star called someone else her mother. The other was horrified after the tale was finished.

Rec had been mated with another female, a friend of Tyra’s, and their first nest had been their last. While he had been hunting, a pair of Threehorns and a Clubtail had come upon the nest and crushed the eggs in it. His first mate had sought to avenge her children, but she had been killed. Rec had gone into a rage, hunting those responsible, while Tyra who had had the territory next to theirs had stayed behind. She by accident had found the sole egg which had survived the attack. She was not sure what had happened exactly, but she guessed the Leaf-eaters had kicked it out of the nest while trampling her siblings and not noticed it.

The child in the nest hatched and called her mother. It was almost a Cold Time later that Rec returned, victorious. They decided, even without love between them, to raise the child together and name her White Star in honor of her fallen mother. White Star herself knew this story, but she had never held it against her parents.

“What happened then?” Grandma asked softly.

“Many years we raised her as friends. It was only shortly after she left when reaching adulthood that we became romantically involved.” Tyra looked up the where the sky was just visible between all the Sky Puffies floating overhead.

“A tale almost worthy of Threehorn.” The Longneck agreed to the Sharptooth’s earlier assessment while rising to her feet. “Perhaps they are more alike than they think.”

“I just hope that does not end up being a clashing-point.”
Tyra walked out of the grass into the stone paths leading through the mountains. She looked at the Longneck walking beside her. The scars of what had happened 3 Cold Times ago remained, but the Flattooth had regained all of her former strength over time. “If they clash, I fear that neither would stop until the other is gone permanently.”

“I agree.”
Grandma nodded slowly, a hint of sadness appearing in her eyes. “Would Rec let it come that far?”

“That depends on how the Threehorn acts.”
Tyra shrugged helplessly. “When he only glares and frowns, there should be no problem, but if he does more, I fear that Rec’s hate towards his kind will make this end in tears.”

“Then we have a problem, because Threehorn is more likely to attack than to back down, as you can imagine.”
Grandma frowned as they reached the Valley-entrance.

“Yay.” Tyra’s sarcasm dripped down of that single word. “Let’s hope it does not come that far.”  

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I see all your fics and sidestories are related to each other (ain't they?)

That's interesting.. I don't mind whether you post the sidestory here or just post the link to it :)

Inactive, probably forever.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I have two major LBT-series and two lone stories :p

One of 6 installments and one of 3 installments and 2 side-stories (this one) :3

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 2

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Tyra watched the Longneck enter the valley and pondered their current problem. She could not bring up the subject with Rec since he'd leave in anger the moment the word 'threehorn' got mentioned in a conversation and if what she knew of the old Threehorn was anything to go by, talking to him would not get anything done either.
She sighed, looking out over the wide fields. In the distance she could see him, drinking from one of the water-holes. She faintly saw an orange form – Cera – beside him, but there was no trace of his mate or other daughter.

"Visited the Longneck again?" White Star walked up to her, looking out into the Valley with her. The younger Sharptooth was nearly fully grown now, standing at equal height with her mother. Both of them had come to like the valley were much, unlike the male of their trio, who had a serious problem with one of the residents.

"I told her about your past." Tyra answered while gesturing with her head to the Threehorn in the distance. "Apparently he went through something similar to your father. She believes that is why he is so hostile towards us."

"Is she as worried as we are?"
The pale-green female asked, watching the Longneck leave the trees near the place where the rest of her family was.

"Pretty much." Tyra turned to leave. "She says that Threehorn would not back down. Much like I do, she thinks that sooner or later this will escalate and cost us all dearly. The moment that Threehorn opens his mouth, your father will blow."

White Star had no choice but to agree. She too had noticed that over time anger had been building in her father, bursting forth every so often when they hunted, particularly when it were Threehorns. She had not hatched when it happened, but she still remembered the sight that greeted her when she did: Tyra had not been able to move her egg after finding it and so the hatchling had been greeted with the destroyed nest of her parents. Luckily her real mother had died a short distance away, hidden from view by the bushes, but the sight of the wrecked nest and several of her trampled siblings had struck deep in her heart. As a result, she had inherited the fervent hate for Threehorns from her father though the recent time with the Leafeaters – that one threehorn aside – had lessened it somewhat.

"Was there a particular reason you came for me?" Tyra changed the subject as the two walked deeper into the Mysterious Beyond.

"Father spotted a Swimmer-herd. He wants to hunt them for our meal." White Star told her. "He thinks it would help if you and I hunt one of them into his jaws."

"I guess that'll be the best way to go about it."
Tyra took off at a jog, shortly followed by her daughter.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"If I wasn't convinced you loved me so much, I'd be worried you disappear so often." Grandpa Longneck greeted his mate. "I just might think you're seeing someone else."

"I assure you I have only eyes for you." She answered him, rubbing her head against his neck briefly. "I just have some mixed priorities right now."

"The last time you said that I very nearly lost you when you were saving our son." Grandpa pointed out. "Who must I fear for this time?"

"Threehorn." She pointed at the faraway form with her tail. "We really must get him to be more accepting of Chomper's family. Rec is nearing the end of his patience."

"That will be hard." Bron answered, briefly glancing at the black threehorn. "He will not listen easily to reason, I believe. His first mate and most of their last nest got killed by Sharpteeth, didn't they?"

"I know that." Grandma said. "But that will not be a viable excuse should he cause Rec to snap. And he is on a crash-course for that."

"We can hardly order him to like them." Grandpa sighed. "And knowing him he'll be too stubborn to listen to reason. But as long as it are only words and not actions, there should be no problem, right?"

"I certainly hope so." She nodded. After that they fell into silence, content to just watch the children play. Ever since Chomper had become the biggest member of their group the children loved playing 'Sharptooth'. Their parents were less happy with this, since in the heat of the game the young sharptooth could do serious damage to the young ones now. That's why the children were only allowed to play that particular game under adult supervision, a job that fell to Littlefoot's family today.

The children had not heard their conversation, being too focused on finding from where Chomper would come. The grown-ups could easily spot him stalk through the long grass, their own vantage-points being far above the long green. The children were not as lucky, only seeing green around them.

"Should we help them?" Grandma looked at the two males beside her.

"Considering I have two sons down there, perhaps that would be a good idea." Bron winked, reaching out with his neck to a spot opposite of where Chomper was currently approaching the others. "Don't you dare bite them, you hear."

It took the other two just a few moments to realize what he had done: now the children would expect Chomper to come from there, rather than from where he would actually pounce.

"That was not very nice." Grandma whispered into his ear when he pulled his neck upright again.

"Even I am allowed some fun." He answered equally softly.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That was quite a funny chapter :smile Grandpa asking Grandma whether there's somebody else she'd meet so often :D and Bron's comment at the end  :DD

I see a *slaps my face* -Threehorn moment coming..  :blink:

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
:lol Call it a breather before all hell breaks loose :DD

Yes, yes, it is coming... :neutral

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 3

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

She watched him pace in the small canyon. Away from her, towards her, away from her, towards her…

“You ask much, Longneck.” Rec stopped about halfway in ëaway from her’, looking over at her. His red eyes glowed in the shadows the stone walls threw. He was snarling, the sound racing up and down her spine. “That Threehorn is asking for trouble.”

“He is proud and stubborn, but not unreasonable.”
Grandma Longneck answered while Chomper nodded in agreement as he sat on her back. “He just needs a chance.”

“It’s true, dad, he is really nice. Once one gets past the rough exterior.”
Chomper said, watching the anger burn in his father’s eyes.

“Rough exterior? That Threehorn has more than a rough exterior if you ask me.” Rec snorted. “Very well, I will give my best to remain courteous, but I cannot promise anything.”

“Thank you.”
Grandma softly whispered.

She helped Chomper off her back and walked back into the Valley. Father and son stayed behind, watching her massive form disappear between the rocks.

“Dad?” Chomper looked up at his father.

“Yes?” Rec looked down, looking at his youngest.

“Don’t get mad, but… what exactly is your problem with Mr. Threehorn?” Chomper asked.

Rec did not answer, merely looking the young Sharptooth up and down. He and the two females had not yet told Chomper about White Star’s past. They had intended to, only to find that he was friends with Leaf-eaters of all beings. They did not want to ruin a friendship Chomper so obviously enjoyed and thrived with.

“He reminds me of something painful.” He said in the end, unwilling to spoil his son’s innocence and his faith in the Flatteeth.

“Oh… what exactly?” Chomper had stopped looking up, instead following the Longneck back to the Valley. That is how he could miss the storm of emotions crossing his father’s face.

“Something I will not tell you about in many Cold Times to come.” Rec managed to say, congratulating him on his good choice of words.

Chomper turned, still having realized something was up. He would have asked had his sister not joined them. His mother would be staying outside the Valley to keep an eye on their hunting-grounds.

The three made their way into the Valley. It had become something of a habit after the children decided to regularly visit them that at least one of the grown-up Sharpteeth would be present at council-meetings. This time it was the turn of Rec and White Star. Well, normally it would have been only Rec’s, but things between him and the old Threehorn had reached boiling-point several days ago and so White Star decided to join her father in case someone needed to interfere.

They walked down the slope in silence, watching impassively as stones would roll down, at times causing small avalanches.

Most of the Leaf-eaters were waiting already, including the Threehorn and his family. Rec tensed, but simply stepped up to the other side of the Longnecks, making himself comfortable there. White Star followed him, flanking her father.
Grandma Longneck looked at him briefly, nodding in greeting as his son sat down between his sire’s massive toes. He merely nodded back, doing his very best to not register the Threehorn just a very short distance away.

In fact, he was so engrossed in ignoring the Threehorn that it took him quite some time to register what the Leaf-eaters were talking about. He was spared humiliation because the subject was one the Sharpteeth had no need for and Chomper was translating out of simple habit.

As was his habit during such times, he tried to discern a pattern in the sounds the Flatteeth were making and the translation his son was offering him. He had already learned some basics of the language that way and it certainly redirected his attention.

The conversation of the Leaf-eaters shifted, drawing his attention away from the learning of translations to what was actually being said.

He listened to a Far-walker Swimmer complain about how the Sharpteeth – aka him and his family – had killed his wife. Grandma Longneck was quick to point out that the rules set upon the Sharpteeth where clear: they could hunt in the surrounding lands, as long as they kept the losses low and only took those that were severely ill, crippled or in any other way too weakened to survive long. As long as they stuck to those and did not hunt in the valley, there was nothing that could be done about a kill already made.

White Star then argued that the Swimmer in question had had no chance of survival anyway: Fast Biter-wounds had made her left leg useless and no amount of rest or healing would have fixed it enough for her to be save in the Mysterious Beyond ever again.

Most Leaf-eaters, while saddened about any dead, had learned to accept their verdicts about which dinosaurs the family would kill. Mr. Threehorn was not one of those most. In fact, he still thought it a massive mistake to let the Sharpteeth live around the Valley and even show them secret entrances through the Great Wall.

As if all the times they saved his daughter weren’t enough to prove that no, they wouldn’t have the residents for dinner. Rec watched as the Threehorn started to speak. He knew that for the sake of the safety of all involved he should tell his son to stop translating and just ignore the Flattooth.

Sadly for all involved he never cared much for the safety of the Threehorn and did not stop Chomper from translating every word the Leaf-eater said. Including the words that sealed the faith of the Valley.

“Sharpteeth have no feelings, they lose them as they grow up. How could they possibly know the pain of losing a loved one?“

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Ouch. You've done it now, Mr Threehorn. WHY CAN'T YOU JUST KEEP YOUR DAMN MOUTH SHUT? Now you've made Rec M-M-M-M-M-MAD! (Yes, I shall be playing the Mad Song when reading the next chapters. :lol)

I can sense a lot of crap happening later. :blink:

I'll give reviews for you other fics through PM tomorrow. Too tired right now. :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm late :blink:

This chapter is a tense one.. the two opponents are just a few metres away from each other and some stupid farwalkers don't really help   :rolleyes:

The next one's gonna be.. eather brutal or... something I don't expect :P:

You perfectly left this one on a cliffhanger  :angel

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Isse ok *pat, pat*

Might be, yes :lol

Oh hey, next chapter preparing for take-off!

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 4

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The reaction was instantaneous. Rec snarled as the full extent of the words of the Leafeater reached his brain. The Longneck paled, her long neck whipping around to look at him. His daughter shifted a bit at his side, a soft snarl leaving her lips.

“Is that so?” Rec asked, his voice filled with contempt. “I cannot feel? Perhaps I ought to show the Threehorn how much I can feel.”

“Dad?”
Chomper had not translated that last remark, instead looking up at his father with wide eyes.

“We are leaving, Chomper. One mustn’t be friends with prey…” Rec stated coldly, ignoring the Longneck beside him, only seeing his horrified son. “The Threehorn is obviously asking for his family to die.”

“What?”
Chomper exclaimed, jumping in shock. Beside him Grandma Longneck paled even more, her eyes widening as she took in the serious face of the Sharptooth. Rec did not react to her, instead scooping down to lift up his son in his jaws.

Chomper was frozen, looking from his father to the family of Threehorns. He did not struggle as the dark-green Sharptooth scooped him up.

“Rec.” The growl was soft, demure even, but it still caused shock in the assembled dinosaurs. Grandma stepped forward, blocking the predator’s path with her own body. “They have nothing to do with this. Punish Threehorn, but leave Tria and the children out of it.”

“No.”
White Star answered in her father’s stead, stepping up beside him. Her eyes flashed in anger as she regarded the Longneck. “Father is right: Threehorn must know his pain.”

“He already does.”
The Longneck countered, her kind voice being warped by the snarls and klicks she used to communicate. “Have you forgotten what I told you? He too lost his family save one child.”

“And he has forgotten the pain.”
Rec stated, not dropping his son as he talked. “As your friend, I warn you: stay out of this. I will kill whoever thinks they can save them.”

“Including me?”
Grandma asked, growing more horrified by the second. “You are taking this too far, Rec.” Horror became anger and the old female trembled, her eyes burning with the intensity of her emotions.

“Including even my own child.” The male countered. “I know your grandson: keep him away, or I will tear straight through him.”

She attacked. Her tail swung forward as she roared, missing the ducking Sharptooth by the width of her toe. She snarled, her teeth grinding against one another as she towered over Chomper’s father. “Never, ever say such things again or I swear that your vendetta with the Threehorn will be the least of your problems.” She snarled, her head dangerously close to his gleaming teeth.

He for a moment did not react, before answering in equal tone. “Then keep him out of my way.”

He pushed past her, his tail slapping against her as he did so, followed more slowly by his daughter. His son had stopped moving, hanging limply in his jaws.

Grandma watched him go, her frame trembling as she struggled to calm down.

“Littlefoot? Shorty?” She did not look at the two boys who had hidden themselves under their father when the Sharptooth had suddenly interrupted in a way no one really liked.

“Yes?” Littlefoot answered her, his lips trembling as he peeked around his father’s massive leg.

“You two will never play with Cera again.” She stated, ignoring their shocked gasps. She merely kept watching the leaving Sharptooth-family. “In fact, I do not want you two near that family ever again.”

“Excuse me?” The heavy voice of Mr. Threehorn bellowed. “And exactly why would that be? May I point out it were the Sharpteeth who went berserk here?”

“And may I point out that I refuse to allow my grandchildren to die over your pride?” She wheeled around and glared at him. “Your pride, which I hasten to add, that has just made yourself some enemies I doubt you can handle, considering the Sharpteeth ëwent berserk’ because of you!”

She was panting, her tail whipping from side to side. Littlefoot had seen few things which looked more terrifying to him than his furious grandmother.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“What happened?“ Tyra demanded as her family returned, her son in her mate’s jaws and both of the elder Sharpteeth radiating pure anger.

“The hunt is opened.” Rec merely stated, gently putting the young sharptooth in his jaws down. “We hunt Threehorn tonight.”

“In the valley?”
Tyra paled. “What happened?” She repeated her previous question with more urgency this time.

“What do you think?” Rec walked past her deeper into the cave, followed by his daughter.

Chomper meanwhile had recovered from the ride his father had given him and was now looking from him to his mother.

She meanwhile was staring at her mate, before turning to the younger male. “Let us take a walk, Chomper. It seems we have much to talk about.”

He opened his mouth, but she shook her head, gently nudging him out of the cave. “What happened, my little one? I have not seen your father in such a state since we thought someone had smashed your egg.”

“He suddenly became mad at Mr. Threehorn.”
Chomper said. “He told Grandma Longneck he's going to kill Tria, Cera and Tricia! You have to stop him, mom!”

Tyra's eyes widened. “Why?”

“Something he said.”
Chomper told her. “Dad said he wanted to have Mr. Threehorn know his pain.”

Tyra paled as she realized what had to have happened. “It seems it is time for us to tell you about your sister's past. I hoped it would be many Cold Times before it'd come this far. But it is not meant to be. Listen closely, my son, to the part of his life your father would prefer to forget.”

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whoa! the title begins to really fit the story :lol

Mr. Threehorn vs. Rec would be okay but vs. the whole Threehorn family?!?

I have a wisdom for Rec (no, not a yellowbelly one!): Consider before you run berserk!

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey, it's ALL going to work out for Rec in the end :p

Though I can't say the same for the Threehorns :lol

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
@Chapter 1

Right, sorry it took so long! Anyway, I like the opening to this, and interesting backstory with White Star...so, technically, she's only Chomper's half-sister? And it seems she was the only reason Rec and Tyra were romantically involved, so if it weren't for her, Chomper would never have existed!  :o

I like White Star even more.  :lol

Let's hope our dear threehorn friend doesn't kill anyone...

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ppppppffffffffffffffft.... Threehorn wishes he can kill peeps xD

Now Rec on the other hand  :unsure: He has a track-record that looks BAD for our Leafeaters  :blink:

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 5

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

That night the entire Valley was tense, very few of the dinosaurs managing to find sleep. Most did not dare to even try out of fear that the Sharpteeth would immediately make good their threats in the first night.

The Longneck-family was one of the most restless families, perhaps only surpassed by the Threehorns, who were the actual targets of the Sharpteeth. The reason for that was simple: Grandma Longneck had left the Great Valley after the happenings at the Rock Circle and had still not returned. Considering it was well into the night and the Sharpteeth who would once have protected her were currently a danger to the Valley, her family was worried to no end.

The two young ones were safely nestled in between the massive bodies of their elders, all four of them still wide awake and waiting for her to return.

Grandpa sighed in relief when he finally saw the massive silhouette of a Longneck approach their nest. He rose up on his feet, walking up to his mate. The look in her eyes evaporated all of his relief though.

“I tried to get Tyra to calm Rec down.” She said, resting her head under his. “But she is equally furious and won’t even think about it. I fear for the Threehorns…” Her voice faded into silence as she sighed helplessly.

“You tried.” Her mate answered, but even he did not know what to truly say. Quite frankly, he still was trying to process everything that had happened today.

“That won’t help them once Rec gets his jaws on them.” Grandma sadly said, looking away from her husband to their grandchildren. “Or anyone who manages to get in his way.”

He followed her line of sight, realizing what she meant the moment he saw the two young ones. Their actual grandson was protective and loyal and their adopted grandson was loyal to his brother to a fault. Should either of them see something that might pose a danger to those they held dear, they would attempt to protect those. But against three Sharpteeth they could only lose.

He gently nudged her to their family. All they could do at any rate was to wait this storm out. She lay down beside Littlefoot and Shorty, not looking at either of them. Both of them looked at her with a tinge of fear in their eyes: at least for Littlefoot her rage that day had been the most terrifying thing he had ever seen, her loud voice still echoing in his ears. Indeed, he was quite certain he would not forget the sight of her slapping her tail on the ground hard enough to leave dents any time either.

Of course he knew she was strong – surviving against a dozen Fast Biters did count for something after all – but it had always been his grandfather who fought and even he had not looked that... aggressive about it. And whenever he had argued with Mr. Threehorn he had been calm, not screaming loud enough that any dinosaurs at the other side of the Valley could hear it. And he most definitely did not make dents all over the area from slapping his tail down. Even Mr. Threehorn himself had looked like he’d rather be somewhere else than facing the furious Longneck. He had even taken some steps back!

Littlefoot shuddered. Oh, he just knew he would be seeing that in so many bad sleep-stories to come!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Littlefoot was not the only one who would never forget that day: at the other side of the Valley the Threehorns were together, Tria being consumed by worry and Topsy refusing to admit he was going through the same.

The fact that all they knew was that Rec and his family would not rest until Topsy’s family was dead did nothing to calm them.

Tria looked at the two young girls huddled together. Both were looking at her and their father with fear. The Longneck had not only terrified her own little ones…

“I have to talk to her.” Tria stated. “We need to know what is going on exactly.”
Her mate was shaken, she could tell as much. He nodded, moving to lie down beside their daughters. The pink Threehorn left their glade, walking to the Longneck resting-place through the forest covering much of the valley-floor.

Every sound made her jump and every shadow looked like a Sharptooth. She froze, her heart thundering in her chest. It was silent around her, far more than it should be. There should be the movements of the little fuzzies awake at this time, but there was none.

She took a hesitant step forward, hearing a branch snap under her feet. As if in answer, something red flashed in front of her. She paled when she realized that from the height of it, it could have only been a Sharptooth-eye.

“Mama says you should not have gone out like this.” The voice was soft and came from just next to her. She turned. It was Chomper, looking up to her from beside one of the massive trees. “But on the other claw, she is glad you did.”

His eyes were almost glowing in the dark as he looked at the Threehorn. She was not sure how to react, instead turning back to her nest. A different set of glowing eyes appeared behind her, unbeknownst to her. She did see the set appearing in front of her though.

“It saves them the trouble of having to fight Mr. Threehorn.” Tria did no longer register what Chomper was saying. Instead every bit of her attention was focused on the three Sharpteeth surrounding her and who were slowly closing in with eyes gleaming in the darkness.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*le gasp* :o

I feel the blood already... hopefully it'll go well for the Threehorns (if they kill Tricia... :!)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
At the moment they are rather busy with Tria, so Tricia might take awhile :p

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 6

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Littlefoot couldn’t sleep, despite his grandparents and father telling him to. He glanced beside him, noticing that Shorty was still awake too. Beside them the grown-ups had managed to fall asleep, their chests rising evenly as they slept.

“Can’t sleep either?” He whispered.

Shorty nodded in agreement. “This is just so messed up.”

Both froze as Grandma Longneck shifted in her sleep, but she did not wake.

“Wait, you hear that?” Shorty looked to the forest between their resting-place and that of the Threehorns. “What is that?”

Littlefoot strained his ears. “Sounds as if something big is walking through the forest.”

“At this time of night?” Shorty wondered. “Who would be walking around this late?”

“Let’s check.” Littlefoot rose, sneaking between the heads of his grandparents. Shorty followed him, both breaking into a run as soon as they were certain that they wouldn’t be heard by the grown-ups.

They ran only a short bit though, slowing down as the sound of footsteps became louder. They crept closer, peeking around a tree.

“Oh Sharptooth-teeth…” Shorty breathed, his eyes widening.

They watched as Chomper’s family walked back to the exit located up the rise. This was not why Shorty wished he knew more curse-words. That honor went to what Tyra and White Star were carrying; Tria and she was not moving.

Too late they realized that Rec, Chomper’s father, was nowhere to be seen. They found where he was when a heavy foot thumped down behind them.

Littlefoot and Shorty turned slowly, eyes widening as they looked up at the massive Sharptooth. He towered over them, teeth gleaming in what light of the Night Circle pierced the foliage of the trees.

“Don’t even think about it, Rec.” He wheeled around at the voice, coming face to face with a fully grown Longneck.

“What were you thinking?” Grandma demanded as she pushed past the Sharptooth to her grandsons. “Why did you leave this night of all nights?”

“We… we just heard something.” Littlefoot answered, looking over his shoulder. Tyra and White Star had dropped the pink Threehorn, watching the going-ons just beside the path out of the Valley.

“Then you should have woken a grown-up.” Grandma admonished him. “Not gone off to investigate alone.”

She looked at Rec, narrowing her eyes as he snarled something. A shiver ran down Littlefoot’s spine as she answered in kind.

“I warned you, Longneck, I told you that he’d die if he interfered.” Rec gestured to the two young Longnecks. “Now get out of my way.”

“He did not interfere.”
Grandma stated. “You won’t get to him. Let us leave.”

“No. He needs to learn to stay out of things he has no business in.”
Rec countered, making a step forward. He had to jump back again when her tail swung forward in warning.

“You won’t touch them.” She snarled, her tail tensing in preparation for another swing.

“You think you can stop me?” He chuckled. “You are old, Longneck and not the fighter of the family. I am however, meaning you will only die alongside those hatchlings.”

“You have gone mad with your rage and grief.”
The Longneck accused him. “Kill me if you must, but you will not have the little ones.”

“Awww… that is adorable.”
Rec snapped at her, chuckling again as he did so. “Like daughter, like mother, right?”

“Excuse me?”
She demanded, her eyes narrowing.

“Look at yourself, Longneck: you’re defending your descendant and someone else against a powerful Sharptooth you have no chance against. You’ll die, just like your precious daughter did all those Cold Times ago. Shall we see if her mother dies just as easily? At least, two wounds is far less than one would expect to be necessary to bring down a grown Longneck. Perhaps she wanted to die?” Rec said, grinning as he did so.

“What?” Her frame started to tremble with rage, her eyes widening in horror. “Rec, stop whatever you think you’re doing…”

“Or what? You’ll die on me?”
Rec countered, ignoring her rage and horror. “Your daughter was pathetic, admit it. And her mother is just as pathetic…”
“Stop it.”
She snarled.

“Look at your family: the males let the females die for their offspring. I wonder if your mate will be as upset about your death as Bron was about your daughter’s? Let’s see if there will be an Earthshake to finish the picture, hmmm? No doubt you will die as quickly as she did regardless.”

“Enough!”
She roared, her massive tail gracing the top of his head as he ducked barely in time.

“Look at the facts, Longneck. I will kill you as Sharptooth did your daughter, but unlike him, I WILL succeed at killing Littlefoot and his friends.” Rec roared right back. “Perhaps I even have time to snack on you. Let’s see if you taste like her too.”

She froze, the trembling in her body increasing in intensity. Then she saw only red, charging the Sharptooth.

Littlefoot and Shorty could only press as close to the tree as they could, watching as other trees were uprooted in front of them. Littlefoot shivered as he watched Chomper’s father being flung back by a slap of his grandmother’s tail. His mind flashed back to that faithful day so many Cold Times ago when his mother had been in the same situation, except that she had not been charging the Sharptooth, only trying to get away.

He was certain he could feel the earth under his feet shake. He screamed when Chomper’s sister jumped over them, charging at the old Longneck. She bit down on the hind-leg closest to her, making the old female scream in pain. Chomper’s father shot forward, biting down at the juncture of her neck and back, driving his teeth deep into her flesh.

Behind them Tyra carried Tria out the rest of the way.