The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rage of the Sharpteeth + side-story

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
NOT GRANDMA!!! :anger

Boy, I burst in exitement :blink: If that's no cliffhanger I gonna eat Grandma :DD

Rec scares me...
Inactive, probably forever.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, a cliffhanger?

It'd be a shame... if I did not resolve it before going on vacation.... :smile  :nyah

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
No Rec! Don't you DARE insult Grandma's daughter! You're asking for a death sentence by saying that! :anger

Those reviews didn't get to you, did they? I though I'd sent them off earlier in the week, but I found them in my saved box today. :/

If I remember, I'll try to send you them later this week. :(

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, at the moment it is mostly costing HER life xD

Isse ok :p

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
:o The tension!!!

Sorry - only just got round to reading the rest... :rolleyes:

But wow! I never knew Rec could be so cruel as to directly insult Grandma's daughter...and forgive me if I'm wrong, but did he claim to know what she tastes like...hmm...

And Tria!  :cry Now unless Tyra is taking her off the heal her, which I highly doubt, I don't think there's much hope for her...I hope the others get off alright... :blink:

Topsy was sort of asking for what he's getting though... :p

But Chomper, you didn't need to tell Rec what he said, just twist it somewhat!  :bang I seriously hope he hasn't turned antagonist...
Anyway, great stuff!

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There are only so many ways to infuriate Grandma, sadly...

Yeah, pretty much ><

And as for Chomper... Well... *smirk*

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 7
Copyright: © characters and places by United Pictures; © Plot and OC by me

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

His sister let go of the grey leg, roaring something to their father. The older Sharptooth barely ducked in time, diving under the neck of the Longneck, putting her body between him and his attacker.

Grandpa Longneck growled at him as he moved past his mate. Grandma staggered when her hind-leg was no longer able to support her weight from the deep wounds his sister had dealt her.

Chomper was watching from behind some trees, as of yet unnoticed by any of the dinosaurs. His finger-claws were driving themselves deep into the bark of the tree, his red eyes wide in fear.

His father stepped back, snarling at the old Longneck. His sister flanked him, her pale skin-color a stark contrast in the dark forest, unlike the dark-green of their father, which very nearly faded into the surrounding gloom.

From deeper in the valley came the calls of other dinosaurs which had heard the fight. He ducked as they came into view, sneaking away from them softly. He sighed in relief when he saw Littlefoot and Shorty with their father. Bron was one of those Rec would be very reluctant to challenge if it could be averted. He just hoped he didn’t want the two Longnecks dead that badly.

“I must apologize, Longneck.” His father’s deep growls echoed in the silence. “I was out of line.”

“No, really?”
She snarled back. “Damnit Rec, why did you even do that?”

“You had to fight me.”
He answered, looking at the new arrivals as he did so. “Otherwise the Threehorn might accuse you of helping me. I will leave, for now…”

He turned to leave, eyes fastened on the near-black Threehorn looking at him with an indescribable emotion in his eyes. Or perhaps it were so many Chomper could not decipher even one of them. Was that fear he saw flash for a moment when the Leaf-eater’s eyes fell on the blood marring his sister’s lower jaw?

“Daddy, they killed Tria!” Cera’s voice broke the silence. Chomper noticed with a shock that she was standing with Littlefoot and Shorty, no doubt having questioned them about what happened here.

Even the two Sharpteeth stopped in their tracks and despite not knowing what she had said, still realized the meaning behind her words very much.

“Run.” Rec told his daughter, turning to face the Valley-residents once more. She obeyed reluctantly, running up the hillside at full speed.

On the face of Mr. Threehorn emotions raged as he regarded the Sharptooth that had remained, but all those evaporated in the wake of only one: rage.

Chomper gasped as his father just barely managed to avoid the sharp horns of the charging Threehorn. Rec rammed his head into the Threehorn’s side, throwing him out of balance just enough to put some distance between them.

Grandma had been out for blood, but her friendship had reined her in some. Cera’s father did not have any such qualms and he was out to kill.

The young Sharptooth noted with worry and horror that he was dangerously close to getting what he wanted. Rec did so too, but to get away he needed to turn his back on the enraged Threehorn: it would be a fatal mistake.

If his father wanted to get out of this alive, he’d need a distraction and a bloody good one at that. Chomper glanced over to the old Longneck, but Grandma was in no state to help, even if she wanted to. Blood ran down where the Sharpteeth had bitten her and no doubt she was in pain as Bron helped her support herself on three legs, the fourth barely touching the ground.

For a moment Chomper was at war with himself, at least until a horn actually nicked his father’s side. Then he made a decision he might very well regret once all of this was over.

He snuck down the mountain, everyone too engrossed by the fight to notice the prowling predator. Chomper sighed, sneaking behind the herd to where the young ones – his friends – were. Cera was being consoled by the others, her pride and haughty nature forgotten as she sobbed softly. Where was Tricia?

He sniffed the air, still unnoticed. She was here somewhere. He peeked around, his keen senses focused on finding the pink hatchling. There!

He took a deep and shuddering breath, steeling himself for what he was about to do. His friends would never forgive him, but he needed to save his father. He shot forward silently, jaws opened wide.

Tricia saw him too late, just as her mother had done with his father. He bit down, willing his ears not to hear her screams. It was no use, they resounded in the night-air, reaching everyone even remotely near.

He faintly heard the voices of his friends, but he could not understand them. His attention was focused on Tricia’s father as well as his own. Rec used the opportunity his son had given him and ran. At full speed, the Threehorn was no match for him.

They looked at each other, the fully grown Threehorn-father and the half-grown Sharptooth-son. The eyes of one were filled with rage, burning with it. The eyes of the other only held resignation for a fate he had dealt himself.

His father gone, Chomper put the hatchling down, resting his foot on her so she wouldn’t get away, before rising to his full height again. “I blame you for what happened here tonight.” He evenly and clearly stated, never once breaking eye-contact with the father of the little girl under his foot. “I blame you for the deeds of my family. And I blame you for my own.”

He turned and ran then, weaving through the bushes and trees to an alternate exit of the Valley. As he did so tears ran down his face, the taste of fresh Threehorn-blood still on his lips. He would never be able to eat Threehorn again without remembering this… treachery… to his friends.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
:cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry

Oh Chomper...

Nice one! And at least Chomper didn't actually kill Tricia, unlike the fate of dear Tria...I was thinking he could have bit Mr Threehorn on the tail, as he has a habit of that, but no matter...

I wanna see what happens next!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Emotional.. just emotional!

Dosu already said the main thoughts so I just let you know that I consider this chapter the best one you've uploaded here so far ;)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you guys :DD

But just saying, I don't think Chomper would have SURVIVED bitting Threehorn, what with him being slightly upset about what happened to Tria :lol

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 8

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Grief and anger fought for dominance in his face. Tears ran down a face burning with fury. He was gritting his teeth, staring at the ground hard enough to make a hole the size of a Longneck-foot in it.

At the other side of the Rock-circle the rest of the Valley-residents were watching him in silence, knowing better than to try and talk to him now.

Cera and Tricia were curled up beside him, the younger sister nursing wounds with pain-killing leaves covering them. Chomper had bit down on her middle, his teeth easily piercing her skin. The wounds were not deep, but they stung terribly. Her sister was comforting her, nuzzling the top of her head lovingly. An act that should have gone to Tria, but the older female was not there.

Littlefoot and Shorty had just finished their tale of how they ended up nearly killed by Rec. Grandma Longneck had remained silent, watching the old Threehorn without any emotions on her face.

“Why?” The voice was snarled, the word warped by the teeth pressed together. “Why?” The second word echoed in the circle.

Not a day earlier she had been screaming at him in fury, now he returned the favor. “Why did they do this? You said that they were trustworthy and now they killed TRIA!”

“Because of you.” Grandma evenly answered. “I agree with Chomper on this: this is all your fault.”

He actually stepped back in shock, eyes widening as he looked into her calm eyes, trying to decipher anything in them.

“Love, however is he responsible for this?” Grandpa Longneck demanded, looking at his wife with pretty much the same expression.

“He is the one who caused the Sharpteeth to act like this.” She answered, not looking away from the old Threehorn. “He is responsible for what happened this night in our peaceful Valley. For the blood that was spilled.”

She shifted lightly, her hind-leg objecting to her standing so long. But unlike Tricia’s, her wounds were in no place where she could get pain-killing leaves on them unless she wanted to lay on the ground for the next few days.

His nostrils flared, his grief evaporated in face of his fury. “How dare you?”

“What? I think we all saw this one coming from miles with the way you have been acting towards them.” She countered, eyes flashing with her own anger. “What did you expect, Threehorn? Did you think them with indefinite patience and forgiveness? Did you honestly believe there were no ways to anger them short of trying to kill them?”

“I thought you said you had control over them!” He countered, foot crashing on the ground.

“I have as much control over them as I do over you!” She answered, tail whipping the air. “Do not dare to put the blame for this on me!”

“Then do not put the blame for their… madness on me!” He screamed, the tears that had stopped a short while ago now starting anew.

“I put the blame where it belongs.” She hissed, eyes narrowing in anger. “You caused Tria to be taken by Tyra, you caused the wounds on Tricia and myself and you very nearly cost me my grandsons! Though then again, you do things like these regularly, so I really shouldn’t be surprised anymore.”

“Excuse me?” He demanded.

“What about Ann: Cera’s mother? Cera’s nest-mates? But then again, you seem to have forgotten them completely…” She snorted, shaking her head in exasperation.
He shook with anger, eyes blazing.

“What is the meaning of this?” Ducky’s mother spoke up, looking at the Longneck.

“Now he knows what Rec is feeling.” Grandma answered. “The rage you feel towards me? That Rec feels to you. The indignation Cera feels towards me?” Her long tail swung forward, pointing at the orange Threehorn. “That is what White Star feels towards you.”

She turned, limping lightly, and made for the exit of the circle.

“Why?” He called out to her, voice now desperate. “What did I do? You condemn me just as much as they do: you know! Tell me! What did I do to deserve this?”

Grandma looked over her shoulder at him, her face softening as she regarded him. “You struck where they are vulnerable: their heart and feelings, just as I did just now. You hurt them by tearing open old wounds which never fully healed. Perhaps I should tell you a story…”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“I am sorry for that.” Rec said softly, nuzzling his son. “I truly did not expect it to come that far.”

“I made that choice myself, regardless of what I told him.”
Chomper was hugging himself. Both of them were outside the Valley. Tyra and White Star had returned to their cave already, taking Tria with them.

Rec looked down on his son with compassion, softly lapping at him with his massive tongue. “I let my anger overrule my common sense and instead of running I faced him. Can you ever forgive me?”

“He is the one who started it.”
Chomper breathed. “I just hope that Tricia will be alright."

“I know she will be: you are too much Cera’s friend to have applied more force than she can handle.”
Rec answered, rising to his full height again. He looked into the direction of the Great Valley one last time, before turning to disappear in the vastness of the Mysterious Beyond.

“You will attack again tonight, won’t you?” Chomper asked, following the massive dark-green Sharptooth.

“I will.” The answer was given with an almost cruel calm, but the red eyes – burning with rage and determination – called the bluff. Rec was still out for blood.

Chomper looked down, watching his claws clink on the stone. He said nothing, following his father. He did not once look back like his father had done, jaw-muscles tensed in preparation for what was about to come. How far would the residents go? How far would his family go? He didn’t know, but he did know that this would very well mean the end of the friendships he had come to cherish.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Uh oh. More angry Grandma. :o But I see where she is coming from, and ouch! That remark must have hit Threehorn hard.

Another attack on the Great Valley? That can't end up being good at all. I feel really bad for Chomper in this. :(

There, I'm up to date with my reviews... I think. Happy now?! :p Heh, just kidding.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
I like how you've explored the angry side to Grandma's personality. Its a side not that often explored...and you've executed it well...

And I feel for the threehorns...but Grandma's right, Topps is, in most ways, to blame...and Chomper!  :cry This sort of stuff always happens to him...

Keep it up!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very emotional chapter, Sleepy! I dunno what else I can say :angel

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
*Only now realizes she has yet to react to the reviews*

OMG, uhm... Yeah, Grandma is NOT amused atm xD Neither is Chomper, for that matter...

At least you guys realized that he did NOT kill Tricia before this chapter XD

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 9

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Grandpa Longneck was the story-teller, but his wife knew equally well to use words to their full effect. But with this particular story, that effect was devastating and sickening. The summary alone was more than enough to unsettle the dinosaurs, the full story – for which the children had been sent away under the supervision of Mr. Thicknose – enough to tear down the walls of hate to leave only grief. The full extent of the rage of the Sharpteeth became clear now, as did the full impact of Threehorn’s words, spoken in a moment of careless dislike.

The silence was oppressive, even the Tree-stars and the wind not making a sound. The old Longneck-female, looking as if her many long Cold Times were starting to weigh her down, looked on as the story she had told was being digested. She had heard it several times herself, once in the Mysterious Beyond by Tyra and another time as Rec had all but screamed it at her in his rage, but she still could hardly fathom why anyone would attack a nest, considering it was impossible to tell the difference between Sharptooth and Flattooth eggs by their looks alone. The three Leafeaters that had started all this all those Cold Times ago had essentially gambled the lives of the unhatched hatchlings, taking for granted that they could be destroying Leafeater-eggs instead of Meateater-eggs.

She sighed softly, looking out to the high mountain-wall that should have made this valley a sanctuary, but now trapped them all. Rec was well underway to do what those three had done: caring not who or what died, as long as something did. She lifted her head, looking over the valley-floor to where the children were resting at the water-hole. Chomper’s actions had hit them hard, the friend they would once have trusted with their life now having turned against them alongside his family.

She tensed as she saw a light-green silhouette against the grey of the mountains. Standing just inside one of the hidden entrances, Tyra was scanning the long grass, no doubt looking for the two young Threehorns. Red eyes flicked to the Rock Circle and the two females looked at each other evenly. Tyra broke contact first, looking down as she turned to leave the Valley. No one saw nor heard her save her Longneck-friend, who had never felt so torn before in her life.

“Would you translate for me?” The voice pulled her from her musings, her long neck redirecting itself to the dark-grey Threehorn.

“Translate what?” She asked softly, watching as he seemed to struggle with himself.

“My request to Rec.” He did not look up, merely looking at the dirt in front of him.

“Rec will not listen to you.” She answered, looking at the ground too.

“He must.” The old pride flared briefly, before his voice became resigned. “He will…”

“He will see no need too.” She countered softly.

“He will if I ask him to kill me.” A voice which had carried so much strength not days before sounded weaker than a hatchling’s. And yet, every word was heard, registered…

“What?” It was the only answer to that sentence that could be given.

“My life in exchange for my daughters’.” Mr. Threehorn looked up, eyes burning with a fire that had seemed extinguished forever not a few hours ago. “Surely he would not turn that down?”

“And what about your daughters after that?” Ducky’s mother demanded. “How do you expect them to deal with this? They’ll lose both their parents in the span of a single day!”

“Is it better if they lose their lives?” He demanded. “This is the only way, isn’t it?” He turned to Grandma Longneck. She stared at him in horror, dread filling her heart at what he was demanding of her. Sadly, she too saw no other way out of this. She nodded.

“Then this is settled.” He stated, leaving the gathering. The Longnecks could see him walk to where Mr. Thicknose was with the children.

Grandma turned away as he reached them, pressing her eyes close, but the horrified voices from Cera and Tricia still reached her. She felt sick at the thought of what Rec might do, promises be damned, if the Threehorn would actually offer himself up as a free kill.

More importantly, what would happen to the children? Cera and Tricia would hardly recover from this any time soon. Indeed, the Valley itself would not recover from this if Rec actually took the offer so temptingly given. Was it too late to hope that he had calmed some?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“They are under watch.” Tyra softly said. “Catching the family of guard like that was bound to only work once. He will not leave them out of his sight now and neither will the rest of the residents.”

“I did not expect any different.”
Her mate admitted, carefully licking the wound on his side. It wasn’t deep, but it stung terribly. “Though it does complicate things. Tria was one matter, but I doubt Chomper would do the same to Cera.”

Both looked over to their son who was sitting on a rock just outside the cave, looking listlessly into the direction of the Great Valley.

“Or that Cera would heed him.” Tyra amended. “After all, she always was the one to be the most wary around him and now he hurt her sister and helped you take her mother.”

“True.”
Rec looked into the cave, red eyes impassive as they fell immediately on the form of his daughter, resting on the cold stone. Beside her lay Tria, sky-blue eyes closed. She did not move, despite the uncomfortable position Tyra had dropped her in.

“We have visitors.” Chomper’s voice came from outside, where he rose to his feet on the rock, looking at something approaching them from deeper in the Mysterious Beyond.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Visitors, eh?  :p

And I don't care what anyone else says - Topps offering himself in exchange for his daughters was a noble thing through and through.  :DD

I knew he had it in him...

But of course, the question still remains...how will Rec react to this? And everyone else...

Great Chapter!  :lol:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Agreed! The chapter's great. You really described the situation very well and Mr. Threehorn's offer is reasonable yet I'm not quite sure whether this is the right decision. Who's going to look after Cera & Tricia? Thicknose? :DD

Visitors... hmm... wonder who that is..

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
:angel

<_< Though I am a bit worried about you lack of actual worry here xD

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 10

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

She walked at the head of the group, her leg-wounds sending pain through her body at every step she took.

“We have visitors.” Came a soft voice from in front of her. Chomper rose to stand on the rock he had been sitting on, turning to face the small herd approaching the cave.

“Are your parents here?” She asked, lowering her head to his level.

“Why is the Threehorn here?” Rec demanded, his red eyes burning in anger and hate as he left the cave. He made to walk around her to the dark-grey Threehorn, but her tail swung up to block his way.

“He wishes to talk to you.” She stated, pushing him back from the small herd.

“The only thing he shall receive from me is dead.” The Sharptooth countered.

“You will listen to him.” She stated coldly, turning to place her body in his path. “Or I swear, you will not leave this place alive.”

“Is that a threat?”
He roared, a warning growl of Grandpa cutting him off.

“I have not yet told Grandpa and Bron what you said last night.” Grandma growled herself. “Either I translate what you two tell each other or I translate what you said last night. You were right when you said I was not the fighter of the family, but they are.” She advanced, holding her neck high as she got dangerously close to his jaws. “Who do you think will win if they are angered?”

Rec looked up at her, growling in fury, his many teeth almost grinding together.

“Not you, Rec.” Tyra left the cave, gently resting her head under that of her mate. “Listen to him, my love. He might be a good many things, but he would not take his daughters out to something dangerous without a good reason.”

Her mate looked over to his rival, seeing several small Threehorns standing beside him. He briefly glanced down at his own little one, seeing the horror in Chomper’s eyes. It was the only thing calming him.

“He better make it worth my patience.” He ground out, turning to put some distance between himself and the herd. “Chomper, go help your sister.”

“Dad…”
Chomper began, only to be cut off by a warning-growl of his mother. She shook her head, gently nudging him of the boulder and in the direction of their cave. The young Sharptooth reluctantly obeyed her, looking over his shoulder at Cera and Tricia before running away.

His parents however remained outside, watching impassively as the Longneck nodded to the Threehorn.

Topps took a deep breath, looking up at the one who was out to kill his entire family. “I want to trade with you.”

“Trade what?” Came Grandma Longneck’s translation. “What can you possibly offer me?”

“And apology, among others.” He answered, looking on as that answer resulted in another short conversation in Sharptooth among the three dinosaurs in front of him. He noticed Chomper peeking around the rocks at the cave-entrance, but ignored him.

“Apology not accepted.” Rec sharply said, glaring down on him. “Do you honestly believe that you can erase that pain and those insults by simply apologizing?”

“No.” The Leafeater shook his head as he spoke with a softer voice than anyone had ever heard him use before. “It is not what I came out here for ultimately.”

“Then what did you come here for?” Tyra demanded, standing beside her husband and lips pursed as much as a greater Sharptooth could do so over their teeth.

“To trade.” There, he had said it. He briefly looked at his daughters who, despite his wishes, had followed him out here. “To trade my life for that of my daughters.”

He had surprised them, that much was visible on their faces: at least for a moment, Rec only looked shocked instead of furious. Then he grinned and started to chuckle.

“And you think that would work?” He asked, chuckling as he did so. “Whatever makes you think you could barter with me, Threehorn?”

Now it was the turn of Cera’s father to be surprised. “What do you mean?”

“You have always proclaimed me a monster, Threehorn.” Rec softly stated. “Monsters cannot be bartered with, nor would they ever honor an agreement. So I ask you: why do you think me – a monster according to every action you have taken towards me – capable of doing any different?”

“I…” He did not know how to answer the accusations which were very much true.

“Only now, after the loss of your wife did you care to get to know me. Only with the threatening loss of your daughters do you try to make amends.” Rec cruelly stated. “Your insult towards my first mate was not the only reason it came this far, Threehorn, it was merely the bite that killed the Longneck as we Sharpteeth say. Had you treated me as a friend in the previous Cold Times, or even merely an acquaintance, I would have been upset and our relationship would have suffered a blow. But it would not have come this far. Those words merely doomed Tria because you refuse to see anything but a monster in me. And they will doom your daughters just as much.”

“My daughters did never see you as a monster, I did.” Mr. Threehorn countered. “Why would you kill them over my mistakes?”

“Because they see me as a monster too.” Rec glared at him. “Everyone in this valley, save perhaps Longneck, sees me as a monster, even the children who know my son so well, see his father as a monster. So why should I not humor them and be one?”

“We don’t.” Littlefoot argued.

“You do.” Rec snarled. “You see me as a monster, and you think Chomper capable of being one too. You are no different than the Threehorn, all of you. And to think I several times saved you all out of a fake friendship you have with my son.”