The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Worst Ways to Die in a Game

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Manhunt executions (level 2 and 3).

Damn, reading the descriptions is painful.

5 words: glass shard through the eye and THAT'S one of the least brutal 2/3 ones.

I really don't play M-rated games. I see enough illnesses and injuries as an EMT!

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Everyone here has given examples of the worst way of dying in a game by showing how it happened. The worst game deaths however, can also be called that as to why the character died. Having a character die by something horrible happening to his body can be pretty bad. But the worst way for a character to die in a game could also be contributed to how tragic his passing away was, blood and gore, ot not. I own this game, and I have never disliked a way of dying more than this: having the main character that you've come to know and love and have been playing as for the entire game, let's himself die for what he believed was a greater good. After all that time with him, instead of being rewarded at he end, the one you fought with throughout the whole game gives his last beath before your very eyes and won't ever come back. Most deaths I've read here so far are just game overs that can jus be reloaded. This time it was permanent. Dying and staying that way is worse than a simple "try again" meesage, I think. So this isn't a game you want to start over on because you know he or she is going to die tragically in the end anyway, so you just want to forget about that and end up never playing the game again. It's really terrible. But now I can actually SHOW you what I am talking about since Mumbling just explained to me how to post a link. Since you will only see the ending, it won't be as bad as if you had been with the character from the beginning, but you'll still see himself sacrificing his own life to save others. Sad deaths are far worse than grusome ones for me to watch. Or course, I'm probably the only one here who feels that way.

To understand what you would see here, let me explain the game just a bit, because it is so rare, I doubt many here have even heard of it: Seventh Cross Evolution. The story and main character's actions are always the same, but at the beginning of the game you customize the look of the main character, and I must say, the player here has an unusual taste in character design, as you'll notice. Now the ending of the game here, which is the time he dies, is a little long, so it had to be made in two separate videos, and the dramatic conclusion is of course on the second video toward the bottom. But if you don't at least see the first half of the ending, which is the part right before he dies- the first video here- then his death won't even make any sense at all. The first video starts with a cutscene right before a boss. Since this is the ending, you won't understand why certain events are happening, but as to how horriblly he dies, which is all the topic asks for, that can be understood better if you watch the first part. This will also show people the game type I like best: turn based role playing. This explains why the player here can't just move the character and start hitting. This is about thinking, not reflexes. So as the name implies, in every battle, you and your opponents take turns, each time picking between physical attacks, magic, and items. That may sound strange to some of you, but I enjoy this type of game most of all and this particular game had an excellent story besides the hero dying. Here we go. And sorry to dissapoint any of you, but if I remember correctly, there is no blood here at all. My "worst way to die game ending" that I have seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTDw1FLe-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpE_fzkVgps

Very interesting, with such a sad death, don't you agree? Now you've seen the worst way for a character to die in The Friendly Sharptooth's perspective.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Falling into lava pits and see yoursef burning away. Some games only show you fall in there. - Twiliht Princess comes to mind.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Friendly Sharptooth,Jan 3 2009 on  11:41 AM
Everyone here has given examples of the worst way of dying in a game by showing how it happened. The worst game deaths however, can also be called that as to why the character died. Having a character die by something horrible happening to his body can be pretty bad. But the worst way for a character to die in a game could also be contributed to how tragic his passing away was, blood and gore, ot not. I own this game, and I have never disliked a way of dying more than this: having the main character that you've come to know and love and have been playing as for the entire game, let's himself die for what he believed was a greater good. After all that time with him, instead of being rewarded at he end, the one you fought with throughout the whole game gives his last beath before your very eyes and won't ever come back. Most deaths I've read here so far are just game overs that can jus be reloaded. This time it was permanent. Dying and staying that way is worse than a simple "try again" meesage, I think. So this isn't a game you want to start over on because you know he or she is going to die tragically in the end anyway, so you just want to forget about that and end up never playing the game again. It's really terrible. But now I can actually SHOW you what I am talking about since Mumbling just explained to me how to post a link. Since you will only see the ending, it won't be as bad as if you had been with the character from the beginning, but you'll still see himself sacrificing his own life to save others. Sad deaths are far worse than grusome ones for me to watch. Or course, I'm probably the only one here who feels that way.

To understand what you would see here, let me explain the game just a bit, because it is so rare, I doubt many here have even heard of it: Seventh Cross Evolution. The story and main character's actions are always the same, but at the beginning of the game you customize the look of the main character, and I must say, the player here has an unusual taste in character design, as you'll notice. Now the ending of the game here, which is the time he dies, is a little long, so it had to be made in two separate videos, and the dramatic conclusion is of course on the second video toward the bottom. But if you don't at least see the first half of the ending, which is the part right before he dies- the first video here- then his death won't even make any sense at all. The first video starts with a cutscene right before a boss. Since this is the ending, you won't understand why certain events are happening, but as to how horriblly he dies, which is all the topic asks for, that can be understood better if you watch the first part. This will also show people the game type I like best: turn based role playing. This explains why the player here can't just move the character and start hitting. This is about thinking, not reflexes. So as the name implies, in every battle, you and your opponents take turns, each time picking between physical attacks, magic, and items. That may sound strange to some of you, but I enjoy this type of game most of all and this particular game had an excellent story besides the hero dying. Here we go. And sorry to dissapoint any of you, but if I remember correctly, there is no blood here at all. My "worst way to die game ending" that I have seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTDw1FLe-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpE_fzkVgps

Very interesting, with such a sad death, don't you agree? Now you've seen the worst way for a character to die in The Friendly Sharptooth's perspective.
I can come up with some examples of this too.  It does tend to piss one off when they become attached to a character only to see the character killed off in the game.  

Just some examples: (Spoilers)

Darth Vader's apprentice in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed- dies in a battle with Palpatine

Sergeant Jackson in Call of Durt 4- dies as a result of a nuclear attack

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Worst way to die in a video game is to be killed by a Jigglypuff in Super Smash Brothers or Super Smash Brothers Melee. It is humiliating. Especially if it is only a level 1.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Jan 4 2009 on  09:03 PM
Worst way to die in a video game is to be killed by a Jigglypuff in Super Smash Brothers or Super Smash Brothers Melee. It is humiliating. Especially if it is only a level 1.
That's humiliating in all Super Smash Bros. and is humiliating for just being a Jigglipuff. And its happened to me more than once. o.o

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree with you 100%. It is the most humiliating to be beaten by a Jigglypuff on any Super Smash Bros. game. That is why she is my favorite character and the ONLY character I ever play as. When you have friends over and they know that Jigglypuff is the weakest character and actually consider her a joke, it is that much more satisfying to beat them with her. And since I've played Super Smash Bros. for years, I am quite good with her since I don't get confused trying to learn multiple characters' fighting styles. People always laugh when I pick her than get shocked if I beat them. People learn from personal experience that they don't want to get near me when I can get a home run bat. In fact, people that know me well enough frantically try to get the bat before me because of the bat's home run special ability. You know, where you pull the bat back which gives the opponent plenty of time to get away but will instantly K.O. them if they are hit. But they can't really run away from me when they're asleep now, can they? Besides, she is so light that I can move around really easily compared to Donkey Kong, Bowser, Ganondorf, and the like. Actually, when I get a fighter, I always try to learn the weakest character so I can master him or her and be that much more impressive if I win. Just a little quirk I have. Later!

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Left 4 Dead

I couldn't tell which it is:

Death by a Witch
OR
Death by being an idiot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xw_PfeNLM

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Jan 4 2009 on  04:03 PM
As soul destroying as it is to be KO'd but that annoying fluffball with the googly eyes, some of her attacks are actually quite potent. If anyone thought that her Down Special (Falling asleep) was utterly pointless, think again! If you can fall asleep right on top of someone (as dodgy as that sounds :DD) you can launch them for miles! Also, in Melee and Brawl, her charged up spin attack can obliterate an opponent with only medium damage. Jigglypuff can be a formidable fighter in the right hands but it does leave you feeling somewhat distressed to think that that little puffball nobbled you :lol

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Left 4 Dead

Having a Boomer vomit on you, causing about a dozen or so zombies rush at you; at the same time having a Hunter pounce on you and claw at you. With the combined Hunter/Zombie rush on you, you die.

It happened to me before.

EDIT: What's even worse is that you have to hear the character you're playing as screaming his/her head off. They say stuff like:

"GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF ME!!!!!"

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Here's a game death that's from a game that hasn't even come out yet!

World in Conflict: Soviet Assault

Either getting blown up by a Russian helocopter or getting blown up by a fuel air bomb.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45680.html#comments_top

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Having the Nemesis in Resident Evil 3 hunt you down and rip you apart.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: NeoGenesis005,Feb 19 2009 on  11:41 PM
Falling off the Stage.
plus going against a cpu player you know you can beat with ease but end up losing in the process.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Battlefield Bad Company

While driving a vehicle, getting tagged by a laser designator, and getting the crap blown out of you by a plane.

"OH MAN!!!! I should've joined the Air Force! That's what I call an explosion!"
-Haggard-

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
death by rex bite to head

or

death by gattlin gun - red dead revolver

death by megatrons minions in transformers revenge of the fallen

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Getting shot in the stomach with a 44 Magnum and then set on fire and left to die by someone you trusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwx9HWk1vK4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.