The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With it now being the very week PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii finally coming out, and people finally going through all that back breaking working to get a few extra bucks, sacrificing so much, in some cases where some had only one meal a day, just to save all the pennies needed to buy the console you want, only one question remains...

Which one are you going for?

First contestant, the PlayStation 3.

This little beauty holds so much in it, you'd think you couldn't even lift it off the counter when you come to pick it up.  The PlayStation 3 is surprisingly light because it holds a programming part called "The Cell". This special part enables the PlayStation 3 to hold more information and do more jobs then ever known possible within an incredibly small space. (Recent commercial at Wal*Mart gave me this info.) If you have Broadband for internet access, then you can play against others from around the world the very moment you plug it in. The PlayStation 3 is always connected to the Super Speed Information Highway. Every game you play is in High Definition. Giving more detail in games then ever thought possible. It comes with the brand new Blu-Ray. Just like the DVD was to VHS and CD, the Blu-Ray is the next generation in video viewing and data storage. In a split-screen demenstartion, it is shown that the Blu-Ray gives out more detail then that of the DVD. You can also store digital pictures, DVD viewings and other little tibids onto the PlayStation 3's hard drive. Several games within the PlayStation 3 required a brand new way to play. A unique controller, with the tilt function, enables it more control functions to give you the best control possible when playing these unique games. (I do not hold info on which games those are, so you're on your own to find out which ones.) Plus, the PlayStation 3 is backwards compatible. Meaning you can play all the classic PlayStation 1&2 games. So if you want to get PlayStation 3, you might as well make a pretty penny off of that PlayStation 2 of yours. (Or in some cases, use it as a weapon to beat the crap out of the person who gets the last one on the shelf. ) With it being worth every penny of it's unbelievable $600 price tag, this gaming console gives gamers the experience that was never thought possible. For gamers everywhere to finally...

PLAY B3YOND

Geez! I think I sounded like an advertisment there.

Second contestant is the Nintendo Wii

Note: info comes straight from Nintendo Power Magazine.

Prepare for Launch

At long last, Nintendo pulls back the curtain on the Wii launch-date, price, pack-in title, and more revealed!

After months of rumor
, speculation, and message-board debate of apocalyptic proportions, Nintendo has finally announced official Wii launch details. The console will hit North American shelves on November 19 for an MSRP of $249.99. Each system will come with a wireless Wii remote and a nunchuk attachment, as well as a copy of Wii Sports, making it the first console to launch with a pack-in title since the Sega Saturn in 1995. Wii Sports is composed of five activities-tennis, baseball, golf, boxing, and bowling-designed to be simple and intuitive enough for everyone to enjoy, and to serve as a showpiece for the controller's unique functionality. Nintendo will also release The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck on launch day (alongside a number of third-party titles), and expects approximately 30 games to be available by December 31. First-party titles will have an MSRP of $49.99, but other publishers are free to set their own prices (let's hope they follow the Big N's lead).

The other big news is that the system's interface-called the Wii Channel Menu-will offer a series of onscreen channels that enable a surprising variety of functions. The Disc Channel is where you'll go to play Wii Titles or backwards-compatible GCN games. With the Mii Channel (pronounced Me), users can create playable caricatures of themselves to use in certain games (though it's not yet known which games). The Photo Channel provides a way to upload digital photos from an SD memory card and proform various editing functions or even add music and create a slide show. When connected to the Internet via broadband, you'll also be able to access the Forecast Channel, which provides local weather updates; the News Channel, which lets users access up-to-the-minute news from around the world; and the Internet Channel, which allows you to browse the world wide interwebs if you download the optional Opera browser. There's also a calendar-based Message Board that you can use to leave messages for family and friends, or send text and photos to e-mail accounts or cell phones. Finally, the Wii Shop Channel is where you'll download classic games from the NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16 for the Virtual Console. Nintendo has yet to announce the Virtual Console's launch lineup and pricing details, but that infromation should be revealed in the coming weeks. Needless to say, we'll have much, much more on the Wii launch in next month's issue. For now, mark your calendars and start saving those pennies; it's going to be an exciting November.-Steve T.

As for which I'm going for, I have picked the Nintendo Wii. Despite how cool PlayStation 3 sounds, I'm not going out and spending $600 for a gaming console anytime soon. Besides, I think I'll enjoy it's unique playing function more.

So, which one are you going for?

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
While they both sound good, the PS3 is too expensive for my taste. My choice will be the Nintendo Wii!

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I have to agree. it far to experisive for my taste as well

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I would rather have the Playstation 3. Expensive yes, so I would wait until I can get it at a cheaper price. The Nintendo Wii doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Definitely, the Nintendo Wii is for me, 'cause the Super Smash Bros. Brawl is gonna be released for dat console. Wit new chars such as Pit, Meta Knight, Samus in her Zero Suit, and mainly of all, there's gonna be there one of my favorite Nintendo chars; Wario *laughs like him*. I can't wait to get a Wii on my hands and the 12th LBT movie!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
With the current raging console wars, I'm always torn between Playstation and Nintendo.  I probably will be getting both of them at some stage but right now, I don't really have the finance to fork out for EITHER of them LOL  :slap I'm always torn between PS3 and the Wii coz I love certain gaming series that are on both consoles. Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Smash Bros, Metroid and the list goes on. The way it normally works out is that I get one console and my younger brother gets the other one (worked out that way with the PS2 and Gamecube). But, since both of us are skint at the moment, looks like we'll be waiting a little while. Hopefully by then, the prices would have dropped a bit and console/game bundles will have hit the shelves.

No matter, I can wait! :^.^:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
RIP OFF, RIP OFF, RIP OFF! PS3 is a rip off! when it comes out in the UK at 2007/03/17 they want £549.99 that including 3 games. that is a rip off as I say again! if it got equal graphics like Xbox 360. no wonder people turning over to Nitendo and Xbox... I just founf that price on a website and the price is stupidly high. only the rich can buy that console. what is sony playing at?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
what is sony playing at?
It seems to me that Sony is marketing the PS3 to the more established (or "hardcore" if you will) gamers who are looking for an immersive experience they have never seen before.  

The Playstation 3 has more processing power than any desktop computer I have ever seen, not to mention the only gaming system with True (ie. 1080p) High-definition video output for the maximum possible resolution of any TV today.  Combine this with a blu-ray player and you have the most powerful consumer computer AND the best, cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market today.

By comparison, Samsung's Blu-ray disc player retails for $999 (in Canada).  The PS3, which contains a Blu-Ray disc drive and will play Blu-Ray movies in full high-def just like Samsung's player, retails for $650 (again, in Canada).  Anyone who wants Blu-Ray movie capabilities would certainly consider a PS3.

Next come the games:  the playstation 3 will be shipping games that have huge fanbases already.  The PS3 promises an amazing gaming experience with games like Gran Turismo 5 (next year as far as I know) as well as a host of games that will demonstrate the true power of the PS3.  In short, the PS3 is a technological marvel for consumers and the technies among us are eating it up!  it's still cheaper than a high-end gaming computer and, let's be honest, there haven't been that many good PC games coming out lately.  The PS3 may start to eat into the PC gamer market as it will be a more stable (hopefully), cheaper alternative to online and offline high-end gaming for a number of years.

----------------------------------

Compare this to the Wii, which is marginally more powerful than its predecessor, the Gamecube.  The Wii appears to be targetting the mainstream video game fan who likes to spend a few hours a week messing around with his or her games and having a grand ol' time.  Wii isn't concerned about top-end HD support nor are they concerned with competing with the X-Box 360 or the PS3 for "who has the most powerful gaming console?"  

As a result, the Wii was able to maintain a reasonable price for its market (I think I read $250 as the retail price), not asking everyone who buys a Wii to also buy a home theatre system to make it work to its full potential.  The PS3 on the other hand, strongly encourages the use of an HD TV and a surround sound audio system.  The Wii seems to be concerned mainly about playability and finding its own niche in the game console market.  They don't Want to be a PS3 clone.  They want to be themselves, just as the PS3 wants to be itself.

Now why would a Gamecube owner upgrade to a Wii if it doesn't offer a huge technological boost?  Well, the Wii is significantly more powerful than the Gamecube But this difference is no where near as significant as the difference between the PS2 and the PS3.  Let's look at the price comparisons for a moment:

The PS2 costs about $120 now.
A Gamecube costs about $100 now.
A PS3 costs about $650.   650-120 = a $530 increase in value from PS2 to PS3
a Wii costs about $250.   250-100 = a $150 increase in value from Gamecube to Wii.

What am I saying?  The Wii isn't the huge step into the technological future that the PS3 is, but it isn't trying to be.  The Wii still looks and behaves like any old game system, minus the new control scheme and other minor enhancements.  The Wii isn't trying to intrude into the home theatre enthusiast's world as the PS3 is.  The Wii, on the other hand, seems to be content remaining a gaming system: aka. An entertaining gaming experience where the average gamer can pick one up at a local store for a reasonable price, take it home, hook it up, get their friends to buy controllers, and have a blast in anyone's home.

While the PS3 is fully capable of doing that as well, I feel that the PS3 is not Designed so much for that purpose, at least by the way it's marketted.  The PS3 seems to be trying to break the barrier between the gaming world and the home theatre/HDTV world.  The Wii is simply trying to expand the Gaming world itself by introducing new concepts for How to control and game and how to enjoy a game.  The PS3 is fully capable of doing that as well, but it better be, considering the cost!  

I honestly think, for most people, the PS3 is overkill unless you happen to own an HDTV or are Serious into games!  The difference over the PS2, I don't think is worth the immense cost.  On my 33" CRT TV with cheap ol' speakers and a small space to hang out with friends, I'm getting a Wii, if anything.  I may even stick with my good ol' gamecube and PS2.  We'll see. :yes

The upgrade from a Gamecube to a Wii seems to be the interest in playing the 'upgraded' games (like Smash Bros Brawl) and the new control system (and updated graphics).  The Wii is basically a "lite" gaming system for those who want to keep up with the latest games but don't feel that the PS3 is worth the money.  The PS3 is for those who consider the gaming experience provided by the PS3 to be worth the extra money compared to the Wii.  In the end it's personal preference but I don't see the true value of the PS3 compared to the PS2 or the Wii, at least not yet. B)

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am not going to pay out for a HD TV just for a console, MOST ppl don't have a HD TV and those things are costly something like £100 to £200 a time. the PS 3 isn't worth it. and the way sony playing at over in Europe it losing ppl for PS3. many turned to Xbox now fed up with Sony's delays on PS3.

I would never pay out for a console like that. to me its not worth the money. A console for over £500 pounds that is a rip off in my case. a over kill in price just for s game console with some high tech trigs.

in my opition Sony is playing it dangous for the PS3 the price is too high and putting off many people and many of them are unable to pay out for such a stupid price.

Sorry but frm what I see. PS3 isnt worth the cash they asking for. you can easily but a PC for that price and DO a hell lot more with it. plus in USA they said $599 but it not in the states it something like $660 or $700 including the tax. which is even more stupid price. in the end PS3 is isn't worth buy in my case. I will stick to Xbox 360 and Wii. they suit my needs enough for game playing. no need for a thrid.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It would seem that most of the votes are in favor of the Nintendo Wii.

I vote is for the Wii, because I am a hardcore Nintendo fanboy, and I've always enjoyed their games more than any other system's. Not to mention I love their controls schemes. Nintendo also knows what their place in this world is as a video game company.
PS is trying to cover too many fields. Not going to work.  

I also have a feeling that Sony is over-pricing their silly contraption. I don't care what all one can do with it. I buy game consoles to play games. I already have computers and DVD players, so all I'll ever need a gaming console for is...gaming. Which is why people will be buying these systems. Sony is seriously over-compensating for the fact that their games are not all that good.

I don't have the money to buy the PS3, and I did, I'd spent it on food and heat. I can, on other hand, afford a Nintendo Wii.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
The Wii and the 360 are somewhat tied. Sony is screwed this time around. No gamer is going out to buy a console with a $600 price tag. Just like SEGA suffered the last console war with it's Dreamcast, all because it didn't have a DVD player and Sony did. Sony and it's PS3 will die horribly in the gaming market because it's too expensive. Both a Wii and a 360 together would cost as much as a PS3. And because of this, Sony will probably go back to making appliances while Nintendo and Microsoft will dominate the gaming market. I'd start off with a Wii because it's the cheapest of the three. Plus it has an awesome motion sensing remote that Microsoft and Sony don't have. Then I'd get a 360 when Halo 3 comes around. But never in hell will I get a PS3, because it's Sony's fault that SEGA died so early in the last console war, and the Dreamcast's death will be avenged!  Speaking of which.  In a plea to sanity, these fights between gamers who are strictly Nintendo, strictly Sony or strictly Microsoft should just stop.  Whenever fights rack up just because of a bunch of stupid video game consoles it makes me want to puke.  I don't discriminate between different companies.  I buy a whole variety of consoles and I see these fights as pointless, immature things.  Of course, people are stubborn, and if I said that I don't care about either side during the console war of the early 90s, both Nintendo AND Sega fanboys would probably shoot me for my opinion because I own both a SNES and a Sega Genesis and I like them equally.  From my research they were really strict on which side you were on back then.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, Dreamcast, that was a cool system. As was Sega Genesis. Back when Sonic the Hedgehog had the dignity of his own console. Something I wish he still had. But it Mario seems to be the only mascot left these days.  :cry2
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wait, wait, wait.  Last I heard you never played a Genesis.  Now that I got that out in the open.  There are quite a few mascots for each console.  Mario is probably the oldest.  Then Sonic, back when Sega was in the hardware market.  Sony used to have Crash Bandicoot and that died fast and now Sony is without a mascot. And the newest company mascot is my personal favorite, Microsoft's very own Master Chief from Halo.  But yeah, the only existing real mascots are Mario who has been around since the beginning and the Master Chief who is quite current in gaming culture.  Nintendo actually has quite a few mascots.  There's of course Mario, then Link from the Legend of Zelda games, and my most favorite Nintendo icon, Samus Aran.  Boy is she hot.   :p

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Before I hadn't, but I just bought one that my couson owned when he decided to clear out all his own stuff. I'm seeing that Sega Genesis really was a cool system now that I'm actually playing some older games on it.

I wouldn't refer to Samus and Link and as Nintendo mascots, really. Granted, they are sables of the Nintendo company, but there can only be one mascot at a time, and that job's taken.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well... still... they were very popular.  Zelda especially.  I don't mean to start an argument here.  I'm just saying...

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I still hope to get a Playstation 3. I do not want Sony to give up videogaming. I enjoy some of the games they come out with. Covering all kinds of fields, in my opinion, is a very convenient way of selling video games. It offers more variety, and can appeal to more people.

I wouldn't call PS3 a rip-off just because it costs $600. Heck it costs even more to buy a good laptop, but people still buy them anyways. And yes, I do know that you can do more stuff on a laptop than a console, but my point is people are indeed willing to spend a lot of money for entertainment purposes.

I can see the PS3 having high sales, despite the high price on it. How I think it'll fair in the long run, I'm uncertain about that. It depends on if PS3 can live up to its reputation. I don't think price alone is a factor in how successful a console would be. I think what it really comes down to is how well it performs and how easy it is to handle and how successful the games are.

I do apologize if my opinion upset anyone.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I had read a recent newspaper article about the most recent console war.  It contained a little argument between a Sony freak and a Nintendo freak. (Of course, who can expect those two kinds of people to get along anyways. :P:)

Now, aside from the expected back and forth flaming and bashing, it contained some rather interesting aspects.  The Sony freak said that PS3 will prove itself in the long run.  It is said that in the future Sony will produce a number of games that will take advantage of the SIXAXIS function.  Nintendo went the opposite direction and brought out games that takes advantage of it's new functions.  It even gives people who have never picked up a gaming controller an easy lesson in gaming, which is why it's called Wii, it's for everyone.  With games like Wii Sports and Wario Ware Smooth Moves, it gives Nintendo an early boost in sales.  Excite Truck makes the Wiimote the steering wheel.  So it's quite the easy function in the end.  The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is currently the only game using the Nunchuck, but more are expected to be on the way.

There was a recent talk around here about the possibility of a Mario Kart Wii game.  I say that if such a thing does happen, which I hope, we will be looking at a totally different control function.  I predict these as the controls:  Wiimote steers, A accelerates, B breaks, Z fires weapon and R handles tight turns.  If there are still two drivers for each car around, L would be the only button left for switching. (A&B are on the Wiimote, while L, R and Z are on the Nunchuck.  I have done more research and I now correct my mistake.) Note that I didn't mind the two drivers idea.  It gave the simple advantage of having two weapons at once.  It was always fun for me to fire a blue shell at the one in front then use the special mushroom to catch up whenever I was in trouble. (One secret of the game is that the better weapons become more of a possibility as you get further behind.  In 8th place, lighting bolts and blue shells are abundant and banana pells and fake items are rare.)

I'm definately putting the Wii on my Christmas list.  If I don't get it for Christmas, I've got $250 dollars tucked away in a secret hiding place that I'll use to buy one myself. :P:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not arguing, Cyber. I'm just something out. Oh yeah, doubt that Zelda and such are popular.

Dark: You're over-looking the fact that most people already have appliances that do everything that the PS3 is said to do. People aren't going to fork over $600 when they already have all those capiblities in their homes. It was a waste of time and money for Sony. They have forgotten their place in this world with the PS. Its a gaming console. It should be nothing more.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
WR, I was referring to myself starting the argument.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, then, I'm not starting one, either.   B)