The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Get off my back, if CyberLizard had just said it kindly, I wouldn't have said anything else.

What exactly is so special about the Blue-Ray, anyway? I'd like to see more specifics on this device. To a guy whose stingy with money, like me (unless its something I really, really, REALLY want), the Blue-Ray does not sound appealing at the moment.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
What exactly is so special about the Blue-Ray, anyway?

Probably stores more data, but other than that, I'm not so sure myself.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here are the detailed specs of Blu-ray. Yes this is wikipedia but these specs are accurate. :P:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

If you don't feel like reading it all, here's the basic idea:
Blu-ray discs hold more and can read faster than CDs or DVDs.  In short, games can be made much more complex and movies can be higher-resolution (greater detail), as the discs can store so much more information and access it so much faster.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Blu-ray discs hold more and can read faster than CDs or DVDs. In short, games can be made much more complex and movies can be higher-resolution (greater detail), as the discs can store so much more information and access it so much faster.

Ooo..that sounds cool.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Eh, it sounds alright. Since I know the market will give me no choice in the matter, I'll be perchasing one, eventually, but until I absolutely have to spend more money on a new machine, I'm sticking with my trusty DVD player.

I just got a Wii! Its awesome! And so it "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess"!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, congrats on getting that Wii, WR. :) (BTW, do your arms hurt yet from playing it so much?  I heard with before release complaints that it was going to be a problem.) :P:

Now, I had gotten to play a demo version of the PS3 today at the Wal*Mart where I work during my lunch hour, and I'll say this about it.

First off, the graphics are down-right amazing!  The detail of it was so incredible. :wow

The controller had a nice feel for when you hold it.  It was indeed lighter, but it felt rather comfortable on my hands before I played a game or two.

Now, here's the main problem.  The majority of games that I tried out had me mainly using the new trigger buttons.  I'm sad to report that those hurt my poor index finger.  After I was done testing it, my finger was hurting for a good twenty minutes.

Now, one thing was that the associate in Electronics had to reset it first, because when I was about to play it for the first time, it was currently frozen.  This was a normal problem that the TV they used always had, so I dismissed it.  Now, the thing was that the associate had a difficult time resetting it.  Having a touch feature for power is nice and all, but I found that it requires a quick touch to make it turn on.  Otherwise, it will do a quick turn on then turn off on ya if you do it too long.  The associate was rather upset with this.  I probably would be too. -_-

I didn't get any problems with the games I played. (Motorcross and Resistance) However, I've heard that the main majority of PSOne and PS2 games end up having glitches when played on PS3.  Worst thing was that Sony warned people about this and still shipped it out without fixing the problems.

Well that's my full opinion on the PS3.  What do you guys think of it now? <_<

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't really mind. The next generation of PS3 might have that problem solved.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sheesh, just a demo version, and already problems are popping up with the PS3.   <_<  Out of curiousity, what game demos did you play?

Actually, no, my arms aren't sore. I was able to do it from a sitting position, where my arms were perfectly rested. I have to say, it felt almost like actually being there. You should really give it a try. Its the next major advancement in gaming.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How do you find the motion sensor's accuracy, WR?  Do the games track your movement well?  Do things happen sometimes that you don't intend?  Basically, is the motion detection idea as good as it sounds and does it actually work well enough to makes the games fun? :wow

That was the biggest question in my mind when I heard of these consoles and motion detection.  Would they actually be accurate enough for a gamer to really enjoy the experience, or would they spend time fighting with the controls.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The accuracy for the console is good, but you have to be accurate, too, because an aiming set-up, it can be as perfect as can be, but if its user can't hit the broadside of a barn, its not going to, either.  :lol:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I have got the Nintendo Wii... today it a smash and tones of fun. I just did Wii sports and I had tones of fun on those games. wow they do take a bit out of ya lol.

I am very very happy to getting the Wii today :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
WR, the games I played were Resistance, MotorStorm and NBA Live 07.

They were good games to play if anything.  However, despite the fact they were good games to play, I'm still not going to spend $600 on a gaming console.

So the Wii is that accurate, huh?  I had a feeling.  It makes me wonder how SSB: Brawl will work out.  It indeed questions how attacks will work this time around.  We may have to stop pushing that B button to use Special Attacks.  There are quite a number of fans that are used to doing that. :^.^:

You know, come to think of it, that "controller will hurt your arm" deal did come from someone who was "out of shape" as it were. :P: So if it's a fact that you're in good shape, I guess it shouldn't've been a problem.

Gaming has always had the issue of making people "out of shape".  If you ask me, it seems that Nintendo has finally found a way to get out of that area.  After all, their goal is to make a gaming console that everyone will want to play, and thanks to this, they're closer to that goal than ever before. :^.^:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just playing it for a fair bit yesturday I had sore muscle pains from it. This Wii do some real work out :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Threehorn,Dec 9 2006 on  06:36 PM
Just playing it for a fair bit yesturday I had sore muscle pains from it. This Wii do some real work out :p
Well, I read in an issue of Nintendo Power Magazine that a person who was in good shape said that it would most likely give you a work out.

From your reaction on it all, I'm guessing his theory was correct. :^.^:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yep, I enjoyed playing it. quiet alot of fun it is :D

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
Alright! Seems like others around here also got a Wii! I got one myself with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, finished it too. Like you guys stated, the Wii is a lot of fun X3

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I just finished "Twilight Princess" as well. What'd you think of it? No spoilers, not everyone here has been all of it yet.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Good to see that its lived up to the marketing--you really do play some games on the Wii in a different way, and get a workout at the same time. :P:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I got a hot tip of where one could be.  The one who informed me was passing the store at closing time and saw two of them left.  Here's hoping I get one when it opens tomorrow. :^.^:

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
I just finished "Twilight Princess" as well. What'd you think of it? No spoilers, not everyone here has been all of it yet.

Heheh! Well the entire adventure was epic! I loved it! :)

Good to see that its lived up to the marketing--you really do play some games on the Wii in a different way, and get a workout at the same time. tongue.gif

Hahah, yup! That's what I love about the Wii!

Well I got a hot tip of where one could be. The one who informed me was passing the store at closing time and saw two of them left. Here's hoping I get one when it opens tomorrow. happy.gif

Good luck with that! The Nintendo Wii is a hot item this Christmas! Might be hard to get your paws on one.