The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Retro

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
From SNES to Gameboy, Megadrive/Genesis to Atari...if you remember it, chat about it here! ;)

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ahh... at long last, a borad where anyone here can dig their gaming past. Well done, Jay!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I remember when i first got Super Metroid, oh how much i loved that game, and still do. I don't remember ever putting that game down. As soon as i beat it, i would restart and play through it again. Though i no longer have a SNES, i have resorted to the dark side of downloading it onto my computer and playing via a emulator, but trust me, as soon as it comes out on the Virtual console, i'm gonna be the first to download it (well maybe not first...).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've downloaded emulators for Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis and have downloaded ROMs for them. They are small and don't take up as much room. I enjoy some games like Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, Dragon Spirit, and Joe and Mac.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
From the past?  I still Play my snes.  It's the only gaming system I acutally love.  I don't like the newer systems.  The games are...different that what they used to be.  They're still challenging, but in a much differnt way.  I'm not saying that I hate the new systems or anything, but I find that I have a lot of better things to do than play the new systems.  I'm a snes, genisis, and n64 gamer only.  I just don't like the newer games or interfaces, nor do I find any interest in the new games they keep coming out with.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I never really liked the N64, to be honest.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've downloaded emulators for Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis and have downloaded ROMs for them. They are small and don't take up as much room. I enjoy some games like Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, Dragon Spirit, and Joe and Mac.
I went as far as editing Super Mario World becuase i find the original quite easy and somewhat tedius now. Though i haven't edited that much and the levels aren't that amazing but it offered a good challenge and was a fun experience.
I never really liked the N64, to be honest
Me neither, the system didn't really have a lot of great games.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I like a lot of the old games, including some good N64 ones. I have quite a library. Mabey not the largest, but....

Anyway, yes, Super Metroid is an awesome game. I have it too, you know. I can remember when my brother pulled of a fancy stunt where he beat Ridley before Draygon (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you haven't played Super Metroid). And then I did the famous reset glitch. Good times....

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I didn't like the N64 not because of the games, but because of the controller.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I, myself, never found anything wrong with the controller. It's easy enough for me to use.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
In my honest opinon nostalgia is the greatest word in the human language....I actually still have my old original Nintendo entertainment system, as well as my Sega Genisis, unfortunatly I sold my N64 when the Xbox came out, along with all my games and controllers....but I don't feel that bad about it now....

I didn't like the N64 not because of the games, but because of the controller

That's completely understandible DarkHououmon that controller did take a bit of getting used to, but once mastered...it provided countless hours of nostalgic fun :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Aug 8 2007 on  10:50 AM
I actually still have my old original Nintendo entertainment system,
Hehehe, me too. Unfortunately, right now, it's kind of a hunk of junk. It will only load a game correctly after 10 minutes of persuading, blowing into the cartridge, etc. It will flash white screens until it finally decides to load the game. It's not a very reliable system.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Aug 8 2007 on  11:45 AM
I, myself, never found anything wrong with the controller. It's easy enough for me to use.
I didn't like it because it felt too wide for me. When I first used it, I used it incorrectly, and held it in such a way that I really had to stretch my thumb to use the joystick. I realized my mistake later on, but the experience made me want to avoid N64. They should have put the joystick where the d-pad was. After all, from what I heard the d-pad is hardly used.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
They should have put the joystick where the d-pad was. After all, from what I heard the d-pad is hardly used.

Actually DarkHououmon you are right it was hardly used at all, but then again the joystick was the D-pad's replacment anyway....so it sorta balanced itself out...

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
But why, out of all the places, did they place the joystick in the middle of the controller?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
But why, out of all the places, did they place the joystick in the middle of the controller?
The whole design of the controller was made for one game: Super Mario 64. I personally liked using the Z trigger instead of pressing the L button. I dunno why they made it in the middle of the controller though, maybe cause the Z trigger feels better in the middle then on the left or right sides of the controller.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can remember when my brother pulled of a fancy stunt where he beat Ridley before Draygon
please enlighten me on how he did it. I remember my brother trying to do it but the chozo statue wouldn't drain the acid in Ridley's hideout without first getting the space jump. I, on the other hand, have never really done much sequence breaking except in Metroid for NES and Metroid Zero Mission.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Aug 8 2007 on  01:53 PM
I can remember when my brother pulled of a fancy stunt where he beat Ridley before Draygon
please enlighten me on how he did it. I remember my brother trying to do it but the chozo statue wouldn't drain the acid in Ridley's hideout without first getting the space jump. I, on the other hand, have never really done much sequence breaking except in Metroid for NES and Metroid Zero Mission.
Do you remember the entrance to the elevator that goes to lower Norfair (I also tend to call it Ridley's lair, or Norfair II)? There's a room with some weird purple tunnel, and after that, there's a lava lake where there are these faces that shoot towards the right of the screen. He did a meticulous bomb jumping routine to get to the top, as you cannot have the space jump before beating Draygon. Then, he got to the elevator that goes to lower Norfair. As for bypassing that particular Chozo statue... I really don't know how he did it. My guess is that he just "toughed" it through the lava, and it never got drained. I don't know if this is possible, though. I'm just guessing.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My guess is that he just "toughed" it through the lava
That would probably be the only way, my brother was trying to get the least possible amount of items so he wasn't able to just run through the acid/lava.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Aug 8 2007 on  04:17 PM
My guess is that he just "toughed" it through the lava
That would probably be the only way, my brother was trying to get the least possible amount of items so he wasn't able to just run through the acid/lava.
Ah, yes. The famous low percent run. Get the lowest percentage possible. I've never tried one, but I hear they can be quite a challenge. One thing's for sure, though: you can't get to Tourian without defeating the 4 main bosses, which means defeating Ridley before Draygon actually doesn't serve much purpose other than just for fun. Did your brother ever finish the low percent run?