The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Retro

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Did your brother ever finish the low percent run?
I don't think he was able to beat Ridley. I've done a couple low percent runs, i've beaten Zero Mission on normal with 15% and at the last boss on hard with 15% though i can't beat it. I've also beaten Metroid Fusion with 1%. A video of me beating it can be seen here. It might be hard to see, all i had was a digital camera and i set it on a flat surface on my lap to record the video.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, the old days.  How simple gaming was back then.  It was before the internet was around and the only way to pass the time was to play video games, watch TV or do some boring activity to pass the time.

My love for gaming started with NES and Super Mario Bros., the game that saved gaming. (I'll explain if you like.) It was a rather fun game to play.  I then got quite the assorsment from there.  Super Mario Bros. 3, Mickey Mousecapade, TMNT 2: The Arcade Game, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, and the rest I can't remember, though we did rent alot of them.  Oh, and to top it off, I got the Game Genie and Power Glove as well. :^.^: (Though I will admit that the latter really sucked. -_-)

After that, came the great war between SNES and Sega Genisis.  I got both of those systems and enjoyed a variety of games on both.  SNES had me enjoying Super Mario World, Tecmo Super Bowl, (One of the few sports games I ever actually played.) Super Mario All Stars, Kirby Super Star, NBA Jam, Super Mario Kart, TMNT 4: Turtles in Time, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Street Fighter 2, (Which was the game that had single handedly helped Nintendo win the war.) and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. (My most favorite out of them all.)

The Genisis had me enjoying less, but I still got a good amount.  I really didn't get into it until Sonic the Hedgehog 2, then came Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, (Enjoyed the attaching feature.) Taz-mania and Earth Worm Jim 2.  The only reason I stopped playing my Sega Genisis, was that the controller stopped working. :(

After that came the N64.  I will admit that the controller took some getting used to, but I totally owned with this console.  I actually still have it.  Let me go and grab the games for a second. *Rushes off to get them.* Okay, I enjoyed, Mariokart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Orcrinia of Time, (The first Zelda game I actually beat.) Blitz 2000, Diddy Kong Racing, (Loved Pipsy in that one.) Super Smash Bros., (Owned lv. 9 comps in that one.) Banjo-Kazooie, (Favorite N64 Game!) Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, 007: Golden Eye, (Cousins gave it to us.) Starfox 64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Party and Donkey Kong 64.  Boy were those the days!

I would list all of the handheld games, but I've gotta go now.  But as you can see, I enjoyed quite the list of games. :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah, yes. The good ol' days of gamin', pokeplayer984. My SNES and N64 still haven't stopped being enjoyable. You know what's just as good, though? Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Out-Run (I heart Out-Run), Donkey Kong -- you know, the real classics. Anyone here like arcade games?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah yes, I used to play Pac-Man myself.  However, I wasn't really good at it until I picked up a little book that showed a secret to the game.

Turns out, that the ghosts hold their own special paths, and take certian routes at certian points.  Also, another great tip is that if you've got a ghost on your tail, just keep turning corners.  The ghosts tend to go slower when they have to turn a corner and you'll eventually lose them enough for them to return to their pre-programed path.

These tips enabled me to get really good and beat the final level. (The one with the key.)

Yeah, so I'm a master at that game. :D

Ms. Pac-Man holds something a bit more challenging, because the paths of the ghosts are completely random.  They don't have a pre-programmed path, but you can still get quite some distance from them with the turning corner trick.

I have yet to beat it, but I'm just not playing it anymore. :P:

The only other one I'm familiar with is Donkey Kong.  Within the game of Donkey Kong 64, you are required to beat a game of the classic Donkey Kong, so I get a chance to play it every time I play that game.  Having to save a princess from a giant gorilla, how classic is that? :^.^:

That's all I've got to say about them. :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I know Pac-Man like the back of my hand. I'm not necessarily a master at the game, but I'm still fairly good at it. I've know of those tricks for awhile, including an odd glitch where the ghost won't even follow you if you go into a certain position. Another odd glitch causes ghosts to pass clean through you under certain circumstances.

One thing you must know is that there isn't really a final level -- it keeps going and going, making more and more key levels. I suppose you could count level 256, the infamous split-screen level, as the final level. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read this for details.

It's been years since I've played a Pac-Man arcade machine. I might have to give it a try again just for old times sake.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Retro Gaming collection (dating 90's and back I guess)

N64 - and an N-Crew membership card (2000-2001, but still N64 related)

-Super Smash Bros.
-Paper Mario
-PokÈmon Snap
-Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
-WWF Attitude
-WWF No Mercy
-Donkey Kong 64
-Tony Hawks Pro Skater
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Super Mario 64
-Banjo Kazooie
-Banjo Tooie
-Pokemon Stadium (2-ish copies, one is my cousin's)
-Memory Card
-Jumper Pack
-Expansion Pack
-Rumble Pack
-2-way converter pack
-Gameboy Pack (2-ish, same as Stadium)

SNES, including the original BOX, and the proof of purchase card the retailer is supposed to send in XD

-Donkey Kong Country
-Space Invaders
-Donkey Kong Country
-Yoshi's Cookie
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Mario Paint
Super Mario World
-MARIO IS MISSING!
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
-Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven stars
-SNES Mouse/Mousepad

GameBoy/Gameboy Color (both)

-PokÈmon Red (2-ish copies, one goes with the other Stadium)
-PokÈmon Blue
-PokÈmon Yellow
-PokÈmon Pinball
-PokÈmon Trading Card Game (beginning to see when I used my Gameboy most? XD)
-Boxing
-Jeopardy
-Wheel of Fortune
-Kirby's Pinball Land
-Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
-Berlitz Spanish Translator
-Super Mario Land (2 copies some how)
-Super Mario Land 2
-The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
-Donkey Kong Land
-Game and Watch Gallery
-Gameshark
-Game Genie
-Link Cable
(I have GBA games but those aren't retro)

Playstation games (sold the original PS1 I had)

-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
-Final Fantasy VII
-Final Fantasy IX

I have at least 2 controllers for all systems I own

I think that's it

(I'm in a list mood this week XD)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Do you guys know the ONE thing I loved about NES games?  That practically every one of them had a secret code/trick to making the games super easy.

Some of my favs were the Konami code and the classic Mega Man Pause Trick. :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I could get the chicken across the road and shoot down bombers with the atari if that counts for something. :p :p

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Do you guys know the ONE thing I loved about NES games? That practically every one of them had a secret code/trick to making the games super easy.

Some of my favs were the Konami code and the classic Mega Man Pause Trick.
I'm not a big fan of cheats, in fact i wouldn't even be able to remember the konami code unless i look it up.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the neat thing about the Konami Code is that, not only is it easy to remember, but it is actually in a number of games that aren't even made by Konami.  Even today a number of developers still use it.  I dare anyone to try the code in ANY game they have and see just what it brings out.  Some you just might have a nice surprise with. :^.^:

Anyways, the code is...

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, START. (Note: You can do SELECT, START at the end to make it effective in the case of 2 Players.)

Trust me, even today you can find a few games that have this classic code in it. B)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm all about the retro gamage!  :D Even before it became a trend to take a blast to the past, I'd always dig out my old Megadrive and still game on it and feel contented. Despite the games only being about an hour long!  :lol:

My all time classics for the old MD are:

Streets of Rage (Bare Knuckle I think was it was called everywhere else)
Sonic series
Golden Axe series
Thunderblade
Thunderforce
R-Type
Altered Beast
Ristar
Dynamite Headdy...my list could go on and on....

I will admit, I was very much playing with blinkers when it came to the console wars of the 90s. I never really looked to Nintendo's side of the story until the N64 rollled onto the scene. Since then, I have opened up to Ninty and what they have to offer. And what classics they have that I'm grateful have modern conversions today.

Given my love for retro gaming, I'm so glad to have the Wii's Virtual Console so all those games I never bought back in the day, I can still live up in the now!  :^.^:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Anyone remember games that were just impossible to beat?

Contra, The REAL Super Mario Bros. 2, The original Legend of Zelda, the final fight in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, the list goes on.  If you ask me, Nintendo treated us right back then.  We SO strived to get good at those games. :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah... this is retro for me atleast!
007 Goldeneye, on N64! one of the better games in history imo.

Ah... the soundtrack!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtcyfk9sjk

Love this game!

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Ahh, good old Contra...  The first game I ever played...  It took me TEN YEARS OR MORE, but I finally beat it - and now I can do it without even thinking about it!

Oh, and I'm one of the fortunate souls who actually OWNS an authentic Pac-Man arcade machine!

Yeah, good ol' Street Fighter...  Heck, my avatar is an edited Gouki/Akuma!  (Alpha series...)

Oh yeah, 007 Goldeneye is fun, but it's hard.  For me, anyway...

SNES... Go Street Fighter 2!  Go Chrono Trigger!

Metroid?  I could never beat it!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Huh...  Kinda looks like Metroid...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's what I meant...  Meh, either way...

Yeah, they just don't make 'em like they used to...

EDIT: Wait, were you merely saying the same thing?  Heh...  Okay, I got confused...  (It's midnight over here, heh...)  Stupid O' Clock - whoever said it first...