The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rock Band

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is one game I am very curious about: Rock Band, for the X-Box 360 and the PS3.  Sadly, I don't own either one of these systems but the game concept is ingenious.  Combine the elements of Karaoke Revolution, Guitar Hero, add a drummer and a bass player and you have Rock Band!  I sense a multiplayer game extraordinaire here (if you can afford the hefty price tag and have a decent place to set up the game).

http://www.rockband.com/

I'll probably pick it up sometime in the next year or two when the PS3 becomes reasonably-priced and/or one of my friends moves out so we actually have a place to play it. :P:

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I'll be frank, blunt, brutally honest, whatever you want to call it

It'd make more sense to practice a REAL instrument than to be like the kids at my school who think they're amazing musicians because they can hit one to four of five buttons at a time and flick a switch, while drums is a bit better as a gaming thing, it's still not true drum practice

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ahh yes, the endless debate. B)

I gotta run for dinner but I'll post my response up later...maybe we need a topic about this in general.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
heh, remember I'm the rude reviewer :p I tend to give my opinion, I don't euphemize, and sometimes I just generalize :p however, I honestly think we'd have a lot more good bands if these people would learn how to do the real thing instead of dedicating themselves to playing simplified versions of songs already made

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The cost and time investment of starting and operating a band is just too much for the majority of people.  A video game is significantly more accessible.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I've played it and I gotta admit....it's alotta fun! I always end up with the mic. at my friends house, but the thing is I can't sing to save my life!!!!! Seriously I can't....it's just too funny! :DD :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
my brother is thinking about getting this game. In my opinion, i think its way better then Guitar Hero for the fact thats its mulitplayer.
I honestly think we'd have a lot more good bands if these people would learn how to do the real thing instead of dedicating themselves to playing simplified versions of songs already made
Rockband is supposed to just be a pick-up and play game for those people who might not have enough time and money to play a real instument. Though the full game package might cost $200 with all the instruments, just think about it, my Bass guitar cost $400 dollars alone, with a tiny practice amp with it at an additional $140. Having a proper amp would cost sufficiently more money. Now times that amount by three (three people is usually the minimum for a band, though correct me if im wrong) to include the others in your band. After all the costs are settled, everyone has to get together frequently for practice and trust me, i've barely been able to get together with my 2 friends once a week. On top of that, you have to make room to practice by yourself on your own time. Now with Rockband, you and your friends get together and you get right into it and play. If the game required hours and hours of practice the game wouldn't be very practical and wouldn't be as fun. Since you mention that many more good bands could be made if people decided to play real instruments instead of these games, isn't it just as easy to say that we would have many more soldiers if people stopped playing FPSes like Call of Duty?
like the kids at my school who think they're amazing musicians because they can hit one to four of five buttons at a time and flick a switch
I emphasize with you here though, i hate it when people are like that.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wooo!

Well, here's some good news for anyone who wants to pick up Rock Band but doesn't have a PS3 nor an X-Box 360:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...820&catid=11139

Rock Band for PS2, January 9th, 2008. :D

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I can't tell you how many people think they are so amazing because they can play this game, and then I play against them and I crush them.

I think this game could inspire people to actually make bands in real life.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So, I actually picked up this game (along with a PS3!) the other day, and it's honestly really amusing!  While I haven't played with more than 2 people locally yet, I have played online with 4 players and it really is a unique gaming experience, even more so when everyone is in the same room.  Excellent game, lot of content...Only thing I do wish is that the singer's actual voice (the voice of the player) was broadcast over the Internet when you had somebody in that role.  I suppose the bandwidth cost to do that would be too high. Would have been awesome though! :p
I give this a 9/10. B)

I think this game could inspire people to actually make bands in real life.
The official Rock Band forum has a section about forming/being in real bands.  The game has definitely done just this. :yes

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
i can wait for that game to come out on the 360 :^.^: but its a bit pricey for me £85 is way to much :(