The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ice age!

Guest · 8 · 1207

Bruton the Iguanodon

I'm watching the 3rd ice age flick right now. OK, admiteddly they did get a little kiddish after the original (sound familiar?  :lol: ) but I never get tired of Scrat! I just watched the beginning---so funny with him and his crush (who's name is also Scratte, just spelled differently. and she's a flyer! Just not a pteradactyl.  ;) )

P.S., why is there snow again like in the 1st one? I thought it all melted in movie 2. I was just getting accoustomed to the snowless landscape.

Ok, that's enough 4 now. I'll do a whole review once I'm done with the movie.  ;)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I love the original Ice Age movie! The second film wasn't too bad, and I've never seen the 3rd. Do you think I should try hunting down the 3rd film? I've heard some mixed reviews about it.

My favourite character's probably Sid, but I remember when I first watched it that I was disappointed Scrat wasn't in it more. The previews make it look like he was part of the main gang, but he only appeared in little cameos.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
While three was very different from the first two (mostly because of the dinosaur-era animals), the third movie was still as good as one and two.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Feb 11 2012 on  01:52 AM
P.S., why is there snow again like in the 1st one? I thought it all melted in movie 2. I was just getting accoustomed to the snowless landscape.
Chances are they were entering another cold spell. The Ice Age wasn't all ice and snow; the planet still went through seasons. It's just that temps were colder back then. Not every place was covered in snow.

So what may have happened was the planet temporarily went into a warm spell, so the snow melted. But as winter came, it got cold again and the snow returned. That's my guess on what happened.

Here's where the snow spread in the ice age:

So much of the earth was still grassy and green.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^This is a movie which shows a world, underground, that is warm, sunny ( :blink: ), and full of beings from another geological era. In such a "realistic" movie there's no need to search for a scientific explanation for snow returning. ;)

I agree that seasons can explain the snow in the third movie, I just doubt that the authors of the movie paid as much attention to science as fans do.

I like the Ice Age movies. I view Ice Age as a kind of a prehistoric Shrek. Shrek is a parody of fantasy, while Ice Age is a parody of what I call animal fantasy, of movies like The Land Before Time, Disney's Dinosaur and The Lion King.

The third movie is a parody in particular. What I find memorable about the movie is all the chaos over Manny's girlfriends labour, which looks like it came straight from Everybody Loves Raymond, the crashing of Scrat's romantic ideals after settling down with a "wife",  the love shown by the theropod mother, and last but not least Buck, who is simply awesome, Rambo and Henry Jones Senior combined, with a touch (well, more like a five kilo sack) of craziness.

Bruton the Iguanodon

OK, here's my review.

So Elie is pregnant and Manny is getting all panicky all the time cause he thinks the baby's coming. Anyways he's made a prehistoric playground, complete with an icicle made bat-mobile, for the baby. (Wow, for someone who lives in w world without this stuff he does pretty good!) But he says no one's allowed on it, since it's a place for kids. (I started to have  a feeling something bad would happen to it...)

Meanwhile Diego is feeling he's getting too soft and old, and doesn't want to be a part of Elie and Manny's family life so he  decides to leave and go off on his own, and Sid isn't invited. He's sad cause no one really wants to be his friend. But then he finds these three eggs in this underground ice cave, and takes them above ground. Anyways there follows this funny scene where one slides down a cliff and he goes after it but the rest slide down too. Anyways one nearly becomes an omelette but Elie catches it. Manny tells Sid to return the eggs to where he found them, but of course, Sid doesn't. This is where it starts to feel like LBT 2. They hatch, and they're baby sharpteeth (they look like "buddy" from "dinosaur train", sort of  :x ). So theres this montage as he plays with "his kids", to "walk the dinosaur".  :lol: And then he lets them on the playground Manny made, since it's "for kids", so then all the other kids in the village start playing on it, and chaos insues. The playground is destroyed, and several kids nearly get eaten by the baby sharpteeth. That's when mommy sharptooth suddenly comes in! Anyways she retrieves her kids and takes Sid with her.

OK, while I'm at it, I should mention the Scratt storyline. He's after his acorn as always, but this time someone else is as well---a real foxy lady squirrel named Scratte he instantly loves, but, oh no...she's after his nut! Well, the two fight over it for a while. He actually gets it at one point, but upon seeing the sad look on her face...well, you get the picture. And she's a flying squirrel too.

Well, everyone goes underground to look for Sid. They even meet up with Diego, and come upon...an underground prehistoric world. Well, they nearly get bonked by a clubtail, and ecape by sliding down a longneck, and it's at this point they meet Buck the weasel. This guy is amazing. He's this underground hermit who's trying to kill "Rudy", who is a monster who dwarfs even the mom sharptooth. Well, he lost an eye, thanks to Rudy, and almost got eaten, but got Rudy's tooth! (It's an awesome story, I highly suggest you watch this part!)

Anywyas, they go through this jungle where Manny and Diego get trapped in a plant, cross a gorge filled with fumes that makes their voices high and makes them act crazy, and all the while Sid is trying to convince the mom sharptooth he's the parent. She's actually pretty nice to him at one point though, by letting him sleep with her and the kids (although that sounds kinda dangerous, once you think about it!  :unsure: )

Well, while running from Rudy the next day, I think Sid gets seperated from the mom and babies and ends up on a rock in a lava stream...which leads to a waterfall. Elie is stuck on a ledge, about to give birth, and Manny is fending off any sharpteeth that come near. Buck, Crash and Eddie rescue Sid with the help of a flyer, and Elie gives birth to a girl she names "Peaches". There's a funny joke to this, but I'm gonna leave you to find out what it's about.

Anyways, everyone's about to leave, when Rudy, this giant, white sharptooth, attacks them. They manage to pin him to the ground with some vines, but he gets up again, but Mama Sharptooth saves the day. Sid says goodbye to "his" kids, and everyone leaves...except Buck that is, who hears Rudy roaring and realizes he's still alive, and heads back down after almost deciding to come up. Anyways, everyone else returns to above ground, and Peaches sees snowflakes for the first time.

And what about Scrat and Scratte? Well, he finally decides to go with her over the acorn. I was like, "Good job, Scrat!" And we see them flirting together, being a cute couple  :D  The cheesy part is, they make it look like the acorn is heartbroken. Seriously? How can an acorn be heartbroken? Anywyas, eventually we see them married, I guess, and living together, and Scrat has to do all of Scratte's chores, until one day he see the acorn outside...and sneaks out to get it and does...only to be confronted by Scratte. Another fight ensues, in which Scratt is pushed back up to the surface by an explosion and Scratte is left below, but then a piece of ice falls and knocks the acorn back underground, so Scratt has lost both. Oh well!

Anyways, it was really fun to watch. I sort of miss the vulteres from the last movie but oh well. Can't wait for the next one this summer, "Continental Drift"!  :exactly

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The trailer for the fourth movie is up.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: Daddytops2009,Feb 21 2012 on  12:38 PM
The trailer for the fourth movie is up.
That's probably Scrat's Continental Crack Up, a two-part short film made to promote Ice Age: Continental Drift. I haven't seen an actual trailer (teaser or otherwise) for the film yet.