The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Member Awards

Petrie. · 65 · 7795

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Building on this idea, Adam.  Perhaps preplanning the awards is generally not the way to go.  A few preplanned awards is fine, such as "most helpful" etc.

What if Member A notices that Member B is consistant or knowledgable about something.  Member A can then post a nomination for member B regarding this specific trait.  Instead of deciding beforehand which awards may be given out, the members decide what awards exist by nominations.  

As a result, someone could randomly post in a forum:
"I nominate Person X for the "Most smilies in one post" award".  If others agree, this nominee would receive recognition for this "award" ( :p ).
Simple system, no complications, people vote for whoever they want on whatever they want.  If they get support from other members, the nominee wins the award?  Simple enough?  It would keep the award system from getting too competitive, and it adds a lighter, more fun atmosphere to the awards system in my opinion. :lol

Perhaps, if we do something like this, we should set up a "nominations" forum so members actually know where to go to vote / nominate people.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
So we think of awards that we think a certain person is qualified for and leave it at that?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
More or less B)
No muss, so fuss.

If we think a person deserves an award, we mention them.  If a few people agree with that decision, and an admin OKs it, the award is given out.
You like? :P:
(What do you think?  Should an award require Admin approval?  I think that wouldn't be a bad idea)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah that could work. So when are we doing this? Sometime this month?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, we could start right away if we had something to use as an award.  That's the next question:  What will an award consist of?  banners and signatures have been mentioned.  Perhaps for now, it could be a signature tag in the form of

**Recipient of the [insert name of award here] award!**

appearing at the top or bottom of that person's sig.

I don't suspect people will abuse this system and give themselves awards.  And if they do, well....that's their loss.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Perhaps we could all vote on who gets what award.  Maybe use a poll or something.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
[EDIT]
*Since people have decided that this will be a secret ballot (too late for me, but that's ok.  I may change my mind :P: ), I have removed the content of this post
[/EDIT]

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey...just a thought..

Why not make it almost like a secret ballot. I mean Oscars style-ee! Everyone come up with a list of awards and then send their nominations to a selected Admin and once all nominations have been filled...announce them in an "award ceremony"

Sounds a bit more complicated but I'm just trying to think of a more interesting way of representing the awards. Give it a bit more of a "wow" factor. I mean it would be nice to get a formal announcement of the achievement. And just think, you could come up with your own little speech just like the stars in Hollywood :lol

"I'd like to thank all the little people who made this award possible. This award goes out to them but it's staying in my trophy cabinet where they'll have to pay entrance fees to come see it!"  :lol  :DD

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Why not make it almost like a secret ballot. I mean Oscars style-ee! Everyone come up with a list of awards and then send their nominations to a selected Admin and once all nominations have been filled...announce them in an "award ceremony"
Was not that your original idea as well Roger? Are we not to send you our votes and the reasons for the votes will be published (but not the names of who gave which reason). Before the ceremony can begin though we need to decide which awards we are going to have (those named so far seem quite alright with me, it's only about whether or not there ought to be more awards). Also the awards (as a kind of banner which those who receive an award may use as a signature) have yet to be created.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Sounds a bit more complicated but I'm just trying to think of a more interesting way of representing the awards. Give it a bit more of a "wow" factor. I mean it would be nice to get a formal announcement of the achievement. And just think, you could come up with your own little speech just like the stars in Hollywood
Sounds like a plan to me! :yes

What we need now:
- Official Award categories (RogerRabbit started us off with a few)
- Something to "give out" as an award; perhaps just some text in a sig will do.
- A time for the votes to be "in" by, and a time for the "ceremony"

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
If we're really going to do a "secret ballot", then any ballots will come to me and I'll keep tally of who's been nominated for the award.  The nominations will be the votes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose it might be a good idea to add one award for Role Play Gamers. I'm not a role play gamer myself seeking more for something written in the style of a book rather than containing the many short statements, frequent jumps, and open endings of an RPG. However, more than a third of the GOF's posts are RPG posts. I don't think that can be ignored and justifies an award for whom the Role Play Gamers feel deserves it. Please let me know if that is alright with you.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One question about the fanart. Does it include only hand drawn pictures or other fanart as well (computer art, art other than pictures, music etc.)?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One question about the fanart. Does it include only hand drawn pictures or other fanart as well (computer art, art other than pictures, music etc.)?
I was under the impression that "fanart" would include all pictures, both hand-drawn and digital.  It would be difficult to include music in this category, as choosing a "best fanart" winner would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
That's what I assumed it to be. Seems a little foolish to just limit fanart to just hand-drawn pieces. Reckon everything should be included both digital and hand drawn

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yes, fanart includes anything hand-drawn and digital.

Make sure to check out Christian's LBT Gallery
Christian's LBT Gallery because not all of us have uploaded stuff here and have samples over there.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are two more awards I have been thinking of. There could be one creativity award for fanart that does not come in the shape of pictures (music, figures etc.). The major drawback of such an award would be that few people could possibly be elected (unless many of us have some hidden fanart of that kind they didn't show yet). The other award could be one for "newbys" only. An award only people can get who are with us for only half a year or a year at most, but already put their stamp on the Gang of Five by remarkable activity etc. I personally like this later idea because it would give those who are active but not around for a very long time a chance to get an award.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Creativity can also include work outside of LBT if the award is going to be that broad, Malte. ;)  That will need some type of exception if we contemplate that.

A newbie award is a nice thought, but our newest members are already kings and queens by board level.  :lol:  They've more than proved their dedication, so I wouldn't want to relegate any of our newest to a "newbie award" even if they haven't been around that long.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There could be one creativity award for fanart that does not come in the shape of pictures (music, figures etc.). The major drawback of such an award would be that few people could possibly be elected
This is an interesting idea that I have been toying with in my head as well.  As you mentioned, such an award would be limited to who would be elected to receiver it, however what it would do, is recognize those who have shown an original or creative touch on the boards, as opposed to simply ignoring it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Creativity can also include work outside of LBT if the award is going to be that broad, Malte. That will need some type of exception if we contemplate that.
Oh well, better drop it then. I don't think we should wander too far from the point (LBT).
A newbie award is a nice thought, but our newest members are already kings and queens by board level. They've more than proved their dedication, so I wouldn't want to relegate any of our newest to a "newbie award" even if they haven't been around that long.
It is a fact though that most of those who haven't yet been nominated at all (or with only one vote or so) are "newbies" compared to those who have been nominated multiple times. Of course the awards are not to be handed out to anyone just to make him happy, but if good points of qualification for such a newby award could be found I don't suppose it would hurt to include it. Anyway, you are in charge.