The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dil and Ichy Showcase - March 2020

rhombus · 34 · 6041

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey, guys!  Guess what day it is?

That's right! It is your month!

------------------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss Dil and Ichy as characters, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart), or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving these characters.  For a full set of rules please see the 2020 Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with the following question:

They both speak the leaf-eater language in the film, which is curious, especially in the case of Dil who is an obligate carnivore. How do you think that Dil learned the language?  Was, as proposed in this topic, Dil and Ichy formerly friendly sharpteeth?  Or do you have another idea that you would propose?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I have come to love Dil and Itchy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:13:27 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Nice to meet a fellow fan. :yes

I'll post a more thorough analysis on these two later in the month.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
In honor of the best team ever, I made this:

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
@Gentle Sharptooth: Question. How easy are these to make, cuz it seems like your pumping out a lot of these posters at a quick pace.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@Gentle Sharptooth: Question. How easy are these to make, cuz it seems like your pumping out a lot of these posters at a quick pace.

Relatively easy if you understand the program editor for art. But what I choose to use as the esit is to my own taste. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've never been a big fan of Dil and Ichy. They're bantering and clear ineptitude comes off as very annoying for me compared to the more comedic nature of Ozzy and Strut.

I couldn't come up with a good idea for a drawing for this showcase, so Iris gave me the fun idea of drawing a giant Ichy and small Dil.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
That’s probably how Ichy feels about himself. :lol

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
It's masterpiece drawing, Flathead!!

But... What is that? Mr. Tickles' dream? :D
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That’s probably how Ichy feels about himself. :lol
That's probably true haha. But honestly, it's not like Dil really does anything during the film so I don't blame him :p

It's masterpiece drawing, Flathead!!

But... What is that? Mr. Tickles' dream? :D
Thanks! Not sure if it would be or not, though it would more then likely be a nightmare. I think a giant Ichy would be way worse to deal with then Dil.

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
Thank goodness, I'm not alone when it comes to not really liking these two; great art, by the way.

I used to like Ichy and Dil - I thought that they were amusing antagonists and decent threats - but that changed with my last rewatch of IV; aside from me struggling to take them seriously as threats because they're a tiny seabird and nearly blind respectively, I found them a lot more annoying than funny. I'd have liked them a lot more if they just snarled/growled at the kids like the other sharptooth antagonists in the series.

On the note of them being able to talk, I have three theories as to why they can speak the same language as the main characters, one based in the world and the other two more meta:

• I've seen this be proposed a lot and I'm not in any position to argue; they learned how to speak in leaf-eater tongue from some outside source. Personally, I like the idea of them having learned the language from an omnivore, like one of Ruby's kin, perhaps to gain some sort of advantage over sharpteeth that can't talk outside of their typical roars/snarls/growls/grunts.
  • In a theory that doesn't mesh with anything past the RAS era, them being able to talk could be a facet of an early stab at how the sharptooth language was supposed to work, with sharpteeth being able to talk but not typically talking to their food while hunting (these two being an unfortunate exception).
  • On a similar note, perhaps them being able to talk is a clumsy first attempt at portraying the sharptooth language in a way the audience can understand; but, instead of providing subtitles over Ichy and Dil making animal noises, their sounds are translated into whatever language the movie is being viewed in. I'll admit that this is a shaky one - there's at least one instance where Ichy replies to something one of the kids says, and I can recall the kids reacting to something that one of them says beyond simple surprise when they start talking.

Either way, that's my piece on these two; I'd share a very short animation I've made of them to close this off, but I don't know how appropriate a .gif of Dil biting Ichy's head off would be here.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@Nanotyrannus I actually feel similiar. I was severely dissapointed as a kid that the antagonists of LBTIV wasn’t a proper sharptooth, particularly a Tyrannosaur, or pack of Utahraptors. I think to compensate for disappointment, Universal gave fans three Sharpteeth proper in LBTV, the Plated Sharptooth (Allosaurus) and Chomper’s Parents 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:27:19 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Once again Flathead, I have no points of criticism to provide for your drawing. I think it looks perfect. I’m gonna be honest, I almost thought you forgot to draw in Dil because she was that tiny! :lol

Poor Ali though. :(

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Once again Flathead, I have no points of criticism to provide for your drawing. I think it looks perfect. I’m gonna be honest, I almost thought you forgot to draw in Dil because she was that tiny! :lol

Ali is doomed! Doomed! :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Haha yeah I know Dil can be hard to spot. I wanted to have Dil on top of Ichy's head since Ichy would normally land on Dil's head. Yeah Ali is in a rough spot this time around. Looks like she's gonna need some friendship power with a convenient boulder as an extra measure  :PCera

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Haha yeah I know Dil can be hard to spot. I wanted to have Dil on top of Ichy's head since Ichy would normally land on Dil's head. Yeah Ali is in a rough spot this time around. Looks like she's gonna need some friendship power with a convenient boulder as an extra measure  :PCera

Boulder.. *shudders.* The boulder is never suppose to be on a Sharpteeth’s lips, for it was used to murder our leader, Sharptooth The Great.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Role change in the flesh! I admit, I initially thought it was just Ichy in the picture as it was quite difficult to distinguish Dil at first glance. I like this transition quite a lot. It makes one wonder how well would the duo have fared had the roles been switched?

Ali's expression to me doesn't necessarily scream fear, more like astonished of what is in front of her. :bestsharptooth Great drawing, Flathead!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Itchy used Rita Repulsa’s power to grow! (Power Rangers). :p

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Nice Ichy, Flathead! Really captures his constant snarl. The shading was good though Dil looked like part of Ichy's wild mohawk.

The concept of their botched teamwork might not be a unique one, but it's hilarious nevertheless. I might be in the minority here, but I think that compared to Ozzy and Strut, they are a bigger threat overall in spite of Ichy being the butt of jokes. Maybe it's Ichy's gnarly voice, the fact that unlike the eggstealer duo Dil could very well eat the Gang if she wasn't half-blind, or maybe the increased stakes of the Night Flowers (or just the atmosphere of the Land of Mists in general), but I think that there are genuinely moments where the gang get in a tight spot.

Now the language thing... it's interesting. A bellydragger appears in X for instance, and definitely doesn't talk. As far as I can postulate, this isn't common, and the friendly sharptooth turned bad possibility to explain their leaf-eater literacy seems intriguing, so I might go with that. Will Chomper become comic relief too if he turns bad? :OhYou

In terms of fanfiction, whenever authors choose to bring back recurring antagonists for their stories, I think these two get the most snubbed. Eggstealers duo sometimes show, Flyer duo tend to show, Red Claw and his cronies... usually show. But these two? Chillin' in the Land of Mists. :P I rarely see them, ever, and if they do make appearances, usually it's just Ichy. And no, my frame of reference for this isn't just Seven Hunters, this seems to be a constant observation, generally at least.

Also, just gonna say, the current month's GoF Discord Server gif icon of Ichy being trolled by Dil is golden @Mumbling :bestsharptooth
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:28:25 PM by OwlsCantRead »
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Dil and Ichy are my least favorite villains of LBT. I'd probably even say they're my least favorite characters in the show. It's not that I totally hate them, but they were annoying at worst and "meh" at best. I feel like whatever the writers wanted to do with them ultimately failed. They were meant to be comedic villains, but they weren't threatening enough to be good villains, nor were they witty enough to be comedic, yet Ozzy and Strut had already managed to be both. (As the original LBT sequel villains, the egg-stealers were also the best ones IMO!) I would have liked Dil and Ichy better if they hadn't talked but just growled like normal sharpteeth, because yaaugh, their voices always grated on me. I don't even see a reason they needed to talk aside from the writers wanting them to be Ozzy and Strut 2.0, which they most certainly aren't!