The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Watership Down

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Spoilers ahead..

This thread will be centered on both the TV series and the 1978 film. Maybe even the book and it's sequel, too. If you have a question relating to any, I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

Also, arvens, I read your review on season 2 and I didn't think about some of the inconsistencies in the eps there. Maybe you should poke out some more

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well what do you know! I was going to make a topic but i wasn't sure if there already was one..

The first time i joined the forum, i wasn't sure what Watership Down was! I actually had heard of it, but i had never seen the movie or read the book..

It all began when i had gotten into this mood for watching the Black Cauldron. A few months after that, i decided i would watch Watership Down and see if i could hear any similarities between the voice of the Horned King and Hazel (Heh, both names begin with 'H' ^_^ And yes, i know they are both voiced by Mr. Ollivander the Wand Seller-err, John Hurt)

Thank YouTube! I've been thinking of finding/watching the movie on there again because it was enjoyable.. Yeah, a movie with rabbits plus gore and i call that enjoyable?  :blink:  The movie kinda reminded me of something mixed with three styles: Studio Ghibi, Rankin Bass and Don Bluth. It was a pretty good movie, but like many othesr say: NOT a kids movie..  :blink:

Planning on trying to find and watch Plague Dogs next.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: babidikrakenguard,Aug 3 2010 on  08:10 PM
It all began when i had gotten into this mood for watching the Black Cauldron. A few months after that, i decided i would watch Watership Down and see if i could hear any similarities between the voice of the Horned King and Hazel (Heh, both names begin with 'H' ^_^ And yes, i know they are both voiced by Mr. Ollivander the Wand Seller-err, John Hurt)

Thank YouTube! I've been thinking of finding/watching the movie on there again because it was enjoyable.. Yeah, a movie with rabbits plus gore and i call that enjoyable?  :blink:  The movie kinda reminded me of something mixed with three styles: Studio Ghibi, Rankin Bass and Don Bluth. It was a pretty good movie, but like many othesr say: NOT a kids movie..  :blink:

Planning on trying to find and watch Plague Dogs next.
Black cauldron ripped my heart out when I saw what it did to that dog thing.

I think the gore is one thing that brings people back to the movie. Watching rabbits kill each other has some captivating power somehow.

Plague dogs wasn't THAT bad, not my favorite.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
I first saw Watership down on the TV, on HBO. thought it was a good movie. makes me wonder, what DID happen to the General? (I am sure he met the same fate as the rest that where killed by the dog, possibly eaten)

I haven't seen Black Cauldron, nor Plague Dogs. but would like too.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 3 2010 on  08:59 PM
makes me wonder, what DID happen to the General? (I am sure he met the same fate as the rest that where killed by the dog, possibly eaten)
It's generally accepted that he got mauled apart... Otherwise his quest for vengeance would continue and he would have retaken Efrafa

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I remember seeing Watership Down as a kid. My mom had it recorded on a VHS tape, she likes it very much. Apparently the movie didn't make that much of an impression to me because the first time someone mentioned watership down to me I only remembered the evil General rabbits face.. uhh the one Petrie put up for April Fools last year.. ish.. I think..

So yeah, it's not like I'm a huge fan of the movie but I've seen it a couple of times now that I am older. Rented a DVD from my library and watched it in slightly better quality without advertisements. I don't like the gory part as much, but the idea of animals being in some kind of war basically interests me. It's definitely a classic!

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 3 2010 on  09:13 PM
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 3 2010 on  08:59 PM
makes me wonder, what DID happen to the General? (I am sure he met the same fate as the rest that where killed by the dog, possibly eaten)
It's generally accepted that he got mauled apart... Otherwise his quest for vengeance would continue and he would have retaken Efrafa
nah, he was killed, turned into a Cyborg, sent back in time, teamed up with his younger self to try and take over Efrafa, but the young General was defeated by his cyborg counterpart when he tried to kill him, the entire clan turned on the cyborg and he was killed when they threw him off a large cliff.

lol just kidding, he was defenantly killed.

I'll buy the movie next month (along with Pumpkinhead).

the fact that they where rabbits that engaged in a war-like fights and tearing eachother appart is great for a phycopathe like me. how many films are there?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
http://sites.google.com/site/watershipper/...ntvseriesreview

If you want to talk TV series, then I've made huge comments about it.  I did not really enjoy the series that much, and its obvious, this was plated towards a younger audience (kind of like the LBT tv series).  We find it disgustingly unlike what it should be, yet not everyone will likely share our opinion.  I was unimpressed most with season 2 because there's too much fluff thrown in to make up a story that could've been done in three episodes, yet they made it go about nine or so. :neutral  Silverweed in Season 3 was the most interesting character of everyone but in the end was limited to what he ultimately had to do.  Shame, because he was a real threat to Fiver.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 4 2010 on  05:58 PM
http://sites.google.com/site/watershipper/...ntvseriesreview

If you want to talk TV series, then I've made huge comments about it.  I did not really enjoy the series that much, and its obvious, this was plated towards a younger audience (kind of like the LBT tv series).  We find it disgustingly unlike what it should be, yet not everyone will likely share our opinion.  I was unimpressed most with season 2 because there's too much fluff thrown in to make up a story that could've been done in three episodes, yet they made it go about nine or so. :neutral  Silverweed in Season 3 was the most interesting character of everyone but in the end was limited to what he ultimately had to do.  Shame, because he was a real threat to Fiver.
tv series (mainly cartoons) based on movies that are noted to have violence, blood and gore, are always toned down and kiddyfied. they can even be irritatingly dumbed down. they are also changed so radicly it should be considered a diffrent series named after a movie with charactors with the same looks and names.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 4 2010 on  05:58 PM
I was unimpressed most with season 2 because there's too much fluff thrown in to make up a story that could've been done in three episodes, yet they made it go about nine or so. :neutral
I can always like filler if the episodes are about lesser thought of characters (Captain broom, Fiver, Hawkbit&Dandelion) but they aim all of it towards Pipkin. Again, they just had to abuse the cute rabbitness to get ratings

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Pipkin's a little boy on the series....kind of silly...why invite a young kid on the  journey who might fall behind? :p  Fiver was small, but he was far older than they portrayed Pipkin.