The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

what do you think makes lbt so special

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
This is what i think does this is a copy paste from the imdb forum for land before time.

orignal is here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095489/board/flat/70326094

by dannyboy87898    (Mon Mar 26 2007 17:25:31 )    
Ignore this User | Report Abuse    Reply
it is a very sad movie.......some happy tears and some sad tears.....but overall its just a great, well-made movie...i dont understand how anyone can not love it...its just great!

Re: I wouldn't think that i would have cried this much.......but i did!    
by budorob   (Wed Mar 28 2007 09:55:55 )    
I AGREE 100%!!!

I caught it last night trolling through cable. Watched the whole thing start to finish. Interesting part is that Littlefoot's mom uses the "circle of life" philosophy. LBT was made in 1988, and The Lion King was made in 1994. Am I correct on the dates?

by novaflare   (Wed Mar 28 2007 16:21:20 )    
Edit    Reply

correct its not all disney stole from the land before time ither. Later with dinosaurs they stole pretty much the entire movie.

Now some in land before time was used in other movies but it was also taken from various cultural references so we cant say that ither movie stole the ideas. In a way this could include circle of life.

by Cynicalik   (Wed Mar 28 2007 20:55:55 )    
Very sad movie, indeed. Though for some reason, I never cried during this movie. Why? I don't know, I don't cry when I watch movies. It's because I know it's really not happening. However, I might cry if I saw a really sad movie based on a true story.

by Striker_Z   (Sun Apr 1 2007 18:09:57 )    
I caught it on TV recently to.. It brought back a lot of memories, happy and sad. An absolutely great movie. :)

by emspace   (Tue Apr 10 2007 23:20:59 )    

]B]It makes me HAPPY to see so many good people expressing their feelings here on IMDB about this classic. The whole "Land" phenomenon escaped my wife and I completely, wrong generation maybe. But now we have a 4-year old of our own and he LOVES these films. Saw the first one quite by accident at a B&B on vacation, and we rooted through the owners' video stash and found it. Now I am addicted. I cried when Littlefoot's mother died, then again when he had his full realization that she was gone.[/B]

All the movies, the sequels included, seem to contain themes having to do with loss and separation. That scared me a bit at first with a toddler - but I am finding it is a pretty cool way to introduce him to the concepts. When I found out just the other day that Judith Barsi had been murdered by her own father, I just couldn't believe it. Sad indeed.

But there is so much happiness and friendship and family stuff in these films - just irresistible. Long live Bluth, and may the Land Before Time series continue as long as it can!

by CakeLovesYouToo   1 hour ago (Wed Apr 18 2007 07:36:12 )    
I didn't think so either!

When his mother died, I was a MESS. I had to stop the movie, and I was crying so hard my eyes hurt. I didn't stop until the end of the movie, but I only cried harder. Man, I was BAWLING. That song at the end didn't help, either...

I have NEVER cried so much during a movie in my lifetime. Wow. What an amazing movie.

You can take your little white loafers
and walk out the door!

I bolded one with a theme that comes up over and over on the imdb boards. I have seen at least 50 posters with similar stories. In some cases they were browseign imdb for films to buy their kids to watch and came across lbt bought it for their kids and watched with their kids or in one case previewed it first as they take their responsability  as parents seriously. And found out that well lbt is not just for kids but parents and them as a individual as well.

I have not seen this theme as it were on other boards there for any other film series but with lbt it comes up over and over again.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
For me, I've always loved animated movies that center around animals; so naturally LBT was one I was attracted to. It was also the second movie I ever saw, and the first that I saw with my mother (mother present, very important :lol:). Of course, I appreciate it and other movies a lot more now than I did as a very young child; I think the same is true for most people. Yes, it makes me cry...it makes me laugh...to sum it up LBT captures all the right qualities a good story should have. The kind of story that makes you feel for the characters and pulls you into their world. That being said, it goes without saying that the sequels have a much different feel than the original...although I agree that they each have a good message about them too, although clearly made for much younger children. Perhaps the original was intended for "young children" too, but to me it was able to reach out to people of all ages. I clearly remember my parents getting into it too, and crying at the sad parts. There's few "children's movies" that can reach out to everyone like that.

I don't think LBT or TLK can really claim to have created the "circle of life" theory, since it's more or less been around for ages. I do, however, agree that disney's "Dinosaurs" movie seemed to copy from a lot of movies, LBT being one of them...but there were also scenes that made me think of TLK, Tarzan and others. :huh: It seemed to me that disney was more after showing off their new fancy computer animation techniques than focusing on an original story.

Ah, what else can I say here? Y'know the "sharptooth footprint" scene still makes me smile...I have to say that's one of the best scenes in the movie. I just love the connections going on there.  :^.^:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Usually if you see something as a child and really like it, you're bound to want to visit it again as an adult.  That's one reason I have a strong LBT liking.  Had I not seen it then, I probably would have within the past few years or so.  One way or another I would've watched the original at least.  That's what made it special to me...it was one of the first animated films I watched as a kid multiple times.  Bambi was the other one.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
For me it's really what I grew up with. I had seen this movie when I was just a kid. And when I got this DVD a few years back it increased my love for this movie and all it's sequels. To me LBT was the best Don Bluth animated film. I just loved that they all had to work together to find the Great Valley. It's just such a heart warming story.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Usually if you see something as a child and really like it, you're bound to want to visit it again as an adult.

Deffo Petrie! Things that you can link to you childhood always hold strong bonds to your adulthood. This goes with the bad as well as the good. LBT is a touching story undoubtedly which gives it such a quality that many look to. The animation quality and style is beautiful, the music is moving and the voices are perfectly suited to the characters. What more could you ask for?! (except that it possibly could have been a bit longer). The story has a lot of morals and touches base on a lot of issues that is probably unheard of in a lot of animated movies aimed at such a target audience. There is a great sense of "genuinity" about the portrayal and presentation of LBT that, I personally think, a lot of modern day animations lack just for the sake of throwing something out to entertain the masses.

Granted that LBT may have gotten in the same rut as all other sequels mass-production instances. By that I mean, like with movies Disney produce. The original looks great in most cases but the sequel never quite lives up to the same reputation/expectation of its predecesor (animation looks a bit grainy or just a bit of the magic the original seems to be lost) but somehow, it's all down to personal opinion I think. The whole "original is always best" theory. Again, personal opinion.

Still, LBT obviously has something unique about it for the series to throw out 12 sequels (#13's on the way) and a TV series. One thing I wonder is, how did I (or we) manage to stick to something that has progressed so far since its initial launch back at the end of the 80s? Whatever the reason, I'm glad it's continued as far as it has, despite everyone else wishing to see it disappear from screen to become part of history (no pun intended there!  :lol ).

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally cannot explain how LBT has affected me. It just has. It might be the fact that my neighbors like it as much as I do.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Hmmmmm....LBT.............. It's never been something thats been drilled into me as a child or anything.  I watched other movies such as the lion king and other disney movies as well.  I did like LBT a lot I guess cuz I've always liked Littlefoot.  When I was younger, I wanted a dog so bad.  I thought Littlefoot looked sorta like a dog, so I guess that's why I liked LBT so much.  I also liked shows with dogs tons too.  I guess I liked it so much because it's not just a whole bunch of mush intended for toddlers crammed into an hour to make a fast buck like so many other animated movies out there for children.  As a kid, I never showed too much favoritism towards LBT as opposed to other movies that were age appropriate at the time.  I actually started to love it as much as I do now much later in my lifetime.  Oh, and I thought the songs were really cool when I was much younger.  I still like some of them, but I don't think they're cool or anything now.  LBT really is a great animation of dinosaurs, probably the best animation of dinosaurs that will ever be.  Like Bambi, it was amazing.  No one thought you could make something as expressionless as a dear be so cute! :D Same with dinos, except they make them look decent without making them look like little kid cartoon characters (like the characters on that weird LBT-like show for PS2)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 LBT has always called to my attention, starting as a fan of dinosaurs, always reading about them, then it came Dink and I love that show, then I could see part of LBT and I found it amazing, that mixed with the happening of my life at those times, made that movie to gain a special place. When I was finally able to see it fully, I could see it was really well done, far better than most animated movies I have seen with a great plot and cool characters. I cannot explain that either, but LBT rocks!. And like with our Solar System if we unite all planets, we cannot make Jupiter's mass, it is the same, for me anyway, if we unite all sequels and all future sequels, it will never be a match for the original movie.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LOL.  I've never been a fan of dinosaurs.  Not back then, and not now.  I don't hate them, but I don't like them either.  They're just there.  Like paramecium.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
If I wasn't a fan of dinosaurs, I never would have gotten interested in LBT.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Part of it is their one of the types of creatures that interest me, dinosaurs.  Their friendship, and the music and singing, when done well, are extras.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I like how they all cooperate but it's not in a cheesy sunday morning toddler show kinda way, ya know?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
What is there not to love about this movie? The dinosaurs are so cute, they teach such valuable lessons, and he music makes me cry every time.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While I can easily list a number of reasons for me to like the land before time I cannot really say what sets the land before time apart from a number of other movies to whom the same points would apply. I have always been interested in dinosaurs, but I am positive that this is not the reason why LBT gets to me so much while other movies don't (after all I am not interested in dinosaurs only). The fact that there were some good sequels certainly played a role. While I agree that the quality of the original movie was not reached by any of the sequels I am also quite sure that the original movie all by itself could not have kept me hooked for such a long time. I give a lot of credit for my enthusiasm for LBT to some of the sequels. I guess it is not the movies only, but rather what I would call my own land before time which makes me a land before time fan. I guess I will have to explain this in a different context and in another thread.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The morals, the friendship, the emotions, and the tearjerking music.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are a lot of them.  About 13 hours and 45 minutes in just the original movie and the sequels.  I have no clue how long all the tv eps are together.  There's tons of material, which will produce lots of fans like any show with a lot of material such as star trek or other shows.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I agree, if a serie (tv and/or movies) is really good it will always have fans, because people know when something is not there to just fill the schedules of television or cinemas and that can really give you something worthy.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Weather_lord_7,Jan 7 2008 on  12:40 AM
The morals, the friendship, the emotions, and the tearjerking music.
Yes!  On top of that, I've always been nuts about dinosaurs :lol.  Add a loveable character who is not only my favorite species but also similar in personality, and that just makes LBT even greater.

BTW, if y'all have not figured it out by now, that character is Cera B).

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
I can't add anything more to this guys...  That's almost exactly what I'd say...!  Of course, I don't have the time to read every detail, just to skim through it mostly...  But, I caught the gist of it, and, I cannot add or take away much of anything from these statements...

EDIT: Yeah, it makes me laugh and cry - same thing about the crying with some of the sequels, too - and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  How can I be ashamed of such a beautiful gift??
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
What does LBT special? The characters, awesome music, the original plot from 90s and the name "Steven Spielberg" in credits of the first movie... And at last, but not at least: my very own opinion and emotions on this subject. :yes