The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

From TV tropes

Guest · 8 · 1136

Bruton the Iguanodon

Daddy Had A Good Reason For Abandoning You: Depending on your definition of good. Bron did explain himself, and initially he was powerless, but that's as good as his excuse is.

What exactly are they saying?! Initially he was powerless how? (Yes I know but anyone who hasn't seen 10 won't!) What excuse?! What wasn't good about it?!  What didn't make sense about it?! I know what didn't since I read that long page someone wrote, plus what MarzGurl pointed out on her review. But if no one's ever seen that they won't even know what this troper is getting at!!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't think TVTropes has to explain in great detail. True they could put up a spoiler bar, but if they were to explain everything in detail, well, why not just write a transcript?

Bruton the Iguanodon

My point is, without reading that long review of what bron did wrong and watching MarzGurls review that makes little sense

Bruton the Iguanodon

Another thing I found on there:

ïLittlefoot's mother tells him that he can reach the Great Valley by following the sun. In many ancient religions, the Sun = God, so she's essentially saying to follow God. Littlefoot's mother herself could represent the Holy Mother (though combined with the fact that Littlefoot has no father, this interpretation turns Littlefoot into Jesus).
Technically, the 10th movie reveals he had a father, or are we just focusing on the first movie? It is true that nobody involved with the first film was still around by episode 10.

First of all, I hate the idea of Littlefoot being Jesus.

Secondly, "Technically, the 10th movie reveals he had a father"?! "Had"?! "Technically"?!  I wish!

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Lol those TVTrope people don't know anything about LBT :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Technically? What, did they think Bron was some kind of ghost communicating with the living and the father thing was just a guess? Wow.

But that does bring up a theory I had. Not sure how much sense it'll make, but here it goes: What if Bron was not the father? In the flashback, Bron indicates he only knew of one offspring; he never says that he's trying to find "his children"; instead he's just saying he's trying to find his "one child".

Maybe longnecks typically only have one child born, maybe to reduce the energy needed to lay and hatch them, something like that. But suppose a female is courted by more than one male. We see this behavior in cats too; the females can give birth to kittens that have more than one father. Maybe the same is true for dinosaurs as well.

Maybe Littlefoot's mother was courted by another male. At this point, she might have thought she'd never see Bron again, so she allowed another male to approach her, perhaps thinking he would stay with her to help out. Whether or not he abandoned her or was killed, I don't know, but the result is that she's alone again, eventually finding her parents and living with them, and pregnant with more offspring.

Now when I said that longnecks may "typically" only have one child born, there may be exceptions to this rule and maybe they have more. Perhaps she had two children from Bron and two children from the other longneck. If memory serves me right, in the first movie, Littlefoot would have had 3 siblings had they not been smashed.

What if it was Bron's kids who were smashed before they were hatched? And only one of the other longneck father's children was smashed, leaving only Littlefoot? Perhaps Bron isn't Littlefoot's father in this case, but this mystery longneck who completely vanishes (killed or just abandons them).

Littlefoot's grandfather may have only guessed Bron was Littlefoot's father. The eggs would have looked the same, and it would have been hard to tell who fathered what egg. Grandpa Longneck may have thought Bron was the father due to the similar coloration between him and Littlefoot, but appearance alone doesn't make a father and son related; it's at a genetic level. I mean look at Cera and her parents. She and her siblings are all pale yellow while her parents are gray. They certainly don't look related, do they?

Do I believe this notion of Bron not being the dad? Not really. I do think that chances are, Bron is Littlefoot's father. But if someone wanted to believe Bron wasn't Littlefoot's real father, well, this is one way this scenario could have happened.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I like it.   :smile

Also, Chomper doesn't look anything like his parents, Ducky doesn't look like hers (though it's hard to tell as we rarely see her dad) and Momma Longneck herself wasn't the same color as her parents.

Interesting how that happens.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Mar 26 2012 on  09:39 AM
Also, Chomper doesn't look anything like his parents
That, combined with the appearance of additional digits in movie 5, is what inspired one of my ideas in my dark LBT fanfic, Out Of The Shadows. In it, Chomper is not their child; he was adopted (an egg mixup due to Littlefoot and his friends' interference in LBT2) and that his real father is the LBT 5 sharptooth (never thought of what to do with his mother though).