The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Commentary of the First Movie

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have gone and made a LIVE Commentary of the Original Movie.  The ENTIRE movie. (Please devote at least 70 minutes to the video itself.)

I've been wanting to do this for several different reasons.  Main one being that I really wanted to give out all my thoughts on the movie itself.  I also wanted to be as informative as possible about the movie itself and I feel I've accomplished that.

Now, I know a few questions people will have about this, so I will get them out of the way.

First off, I know that people will ask if what I'm doing is legal.  The answer is, yes!  Commentaries of any media are protected under the act of Fair Use under US Law.  It really doesn't matter.  Be it of movies, games, music, etc.  If you do a commentary on them, it's allowed.

Second, is if this is funny in any way.  I will let you decide that for yourself.  I'm not one to criticize one's humor.  However, if I do end up doing something that does make you laugh, please feel free to do so.

Understand that there is only one part that is edited.  I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

So, with that out of the way, I hope you enjoy it.

The Land Before Time Commentary

Oh, and finally, I'll NEVER be posting this on YouTube.  I have my reasons.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Did you have fun doing it?  Plan on doing a commentary on any of the other lbt movies or tv episodes?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Wow. I'm impressed just seeing you did this. I'll let you know what I think of the actual commentary.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Alright, I hate to double post, but I have a few first impressions. If you are going to do any follow up commentaries: please drop the part where you talk to yourself. I'm at 00:47, and the shtick is already ceased to be funny, but mileage may vary and it could just be me. Hey, other gang of five-ers, you gotta let pokeplayer know what you think of this.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jun 28 2010 on  03:15 PM
Alright, I hate to double post, but I have a few first impressions. If you are going to do any follow up commentaries: please drop the part where you talk to yourself. I'm at 00:47, and the shtick is already ceased to be funny, but mileage may vary and it could just be me. Hey, other gang of five-ers, you gotta let pokeplayer know what you think of this.
Like I said, I could not judge whether or not this was going to be funny.  Rather, it was more meant to be informative and thoughtful to those who don't know the background of the first movie.  I also wanted to give my own opinion and I feel I've accomplished that.

Also, to be honest, I gave a lot of thought of how I wanted to do it.  Trying to be two different people made me feel more comfortable talking about it.  In reality, I really stutter when I talk to others, whether they be in front of me or miles away.  However, I have found that when I act out and talk to myself as if I was multiple people, I am a lot more calm and stutter far less.  Truth of the matter is, for me, it was better for me to do it this way.  No question asked.

So, if I do more of them, I will not drop it.  At this point, I want to see what others think and we'll see what happens from there.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Okey dokey. I've said my piece. My hope my criticism wasn't too harsh. Oh, and just because I found the 'dual' pokeplaeyer bit to be annoying, don't take it too personally. I don't find you annoying, I mean to say.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I tried to watch the commentary, but I couldn't get much beyond 30 seconds before I had to stop the video. No offense or anything. I'm just not a fan of listening to someone talk as if they are two different people during a commentary, especially when it's quite obvious the two people are one.

But if you rather do commentaries like this, that's fine. Go right ahead. It's just not of my particular taste, that's all.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Days go by no one suggests this? Pokeplayer, I know two people is hardly a good gadge to tell how you are doing, but perhaps there is someone, for real, who you could do a commentary with.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
From YouTube where I put a not too impressive trailer of the commentary.

Quote from: Rosethethief on  
Heh! I saw your commentary for this movie, and I liked it! Can't wait to hear you guys to some commentary for the Great Valley Adventure!

Total at Mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=zomzwyzeyny

I think these figures say a completely different story, WR.  Perhaps the thing is this... the fact is that you guys KNOW my secret.  I was willing to share it here.  Yet, have I shared it at other places?  The answer is no.  I've done a lot to keep it a secret.  I'm doing it a lot better than most people expect.  When the belief is that there are two different people, there's the possibility of a completely different reaction to how good it is.

Now, here's another question for you specifically, WR.  Are commentaries meant to be funny?  The answer is NO.  Commentaries are a person's opinions and thoughts that are given throughout the movie at hand.  People like AVGN and NC have made making a commentary/review funny a THING, but that is not the purpose of them.  They are meant to be an insight to the film itself.  For instance, in a good dose of this, I actually talk about the "missing scenes" that never made it into the film.  There's still a good number of people who don't know, for example, how violent the fight was between Littlefoot's Mother and Sharptooth before it got it's final cut.

On top of this, I talk about very specific scenes that always bothered me.  For instance, the point in the movie when Cera chases a bug.  When she catches up to it on some rock, she licks her lips.  In the way she was doing it, it made it seem like she was thinking of how tasty the bug was going to be.  Seriously, a part of me feels like she was going to eat that bug.  To be honest, a part of me feels that some members of the gang are part carnivore in the first movie.  There's moments like the one just mentioned which make me think such a thing.  Plus there's also the point that Sharptooth seems more like he has superpowers.  I still don't get how he can jump so high.

Not to mention that I talk about certain parts of the book of this movie Malte has talked about himself.  With the way both were done, they give very different indications of how the story is.  Especially with the revelation of The Great Valley.  In the book, Littlefoot finds the valley and then goes back to lead his friends there and THAT is where they run into Sharptooth.  Whereas with the movie, he finds it AFTER Sharptooth is dealt with.  Would definitely give a different view in the end, huh?

Seriously, you don't actually watch it and you miss a good amount of insight that I gave to it.  Sure, maybe it's not funny, but that was NEVER the point to begin with.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 3 2010 on  09:53 AM
On top of this, I talk about very specific scenes that always bothered me. For instance, the point in the movie when Cera chases a bug. When she catches up to it on some rock, she licks her lips. In the way she was doing it, it made it seem like she was thinking of how tasty the bug was going to be. Seriously, a part of me feels like she was going to eat that bug. To be honest, a part of me feels that some members of the gang are part carnivore in the first movie.
Interestingly enough, relatively recently there's been a theory circulating that ceratopsians were omnivorous due to the structure of their teeth and jaws, or something to that effect. If that theory turns out to be true, then the whole "Cera wanted to eat a bug" thing would be accurate.

EDIT: I almost forgot to point this out. My let my brother listen to part of your commentary, and he said that right away he could tell the two voices were both you. He also said he could pick up on when you almost said a line in the wrong voice and had to correct yourself. He wasn't fooled by the dual-voices. He said you might be able to pull it off better if you did two separate audio tracks and put them together. But I believe he said this is more for if you want the dual-voice to be a gimmick, like Spooney and Dr. Insano. If you want to actually fool people, he isn't sure if the two audio tracks will work. Though if I had to suggest something, it would either be drop the dual-voices in future commentaries (if you did do more) or have another person comment with you. In my opinion, both would be much easier as opposed to trying to pretend to be two people at once.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
What are you talking about? I just suggested finding an actual second person to do future commentaries with. I don't where the whole rant about the NC and the AVGN came from, but that was not my point.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
WR, I think pokeplayer984 was referring to when you commented how 47 seconds into the commentary you didn't find it funny anymore. I don't know the exact line, but pokeplayer wanted to prove the point that commentaries are not always meant to be funny.

Now I haven't really had the time to sit down and view the commentary, but none of us are trying to bash your method pokeplayer984. We're just suggesting methods that might make it a bit easier for you in the long run. Of course, if this is working for you then I'm not going to tell you to drop it.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 3 2010 on  09:07 AM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 3 2010 on  09:53 AM
On top of this, I talk about very specific scenes that always bothered me. For instance, the point in the movie when Cera chases a bug. When she catches up to it on some rock, she licks her lips. In the way she was doing it, it made it seem like she was thinking of how tasty the bug was going to be. Seriously, a part of me feels like she was going to eat that bug. To be honest, a part of me feels that some members of the gang are part carnivore in the first movie.
Interestingly enough, relatively recently there's been a theory circulating that ceratopsians were omnivorous due to the structure of their teeth and jaws, or something to that effect. If that theory turns out to be true, then the whole "Cera wanted to eat a bug" thing would be accurate.
Though I've seen this idea used and referenced in other places (at least one art piece on DeviantArt and also in a scientific-looking enough book that disclaimed itself as a fictional field guide to dinosaurs), but I first saw it scientifically discussed here. It constains some jargon that might make it difficult to understand for the layperson, but basically it argues that ceratopsians (horned dinosaurs) probably had extremely strong bites, which perhaps they were using for more than just cropping plants (though plants certainly formed a large partóif not the majority ofótheir diet).

Also, despite Cera's proficiency at moving her jaw from side to side (as demonstrated when she is chewing the leaves Littlefoot has covertly thrown her), real ceratopsian jaws could only move up and down, their teeth shearing food like a pair of scissors. And among modern animals, the greatest practitioners of shear-chewing are carnivores.

Plus, there are known instances of modern herbivores eating meat. Hippos occasionally scavenge animal carcasses during the dry season; red deer on the Isle of Rum in Scotland kill seabird chicks to make up for mineral deficiencies in their diet; there are apparently even records of cows killing and eating small animals. And ceratopsians were far better adapted for eating meat than any of these mammals, having not only the right jaw equipment but also beaks that were not all that unlike those of birds of prey. If they were indeed part-time meat-eaters, then they probably scavenged more than hunted, though they may not have been above attacking weak or wounded animals, or snapping up small, careless ones that happened to come within reach. And to a youngster especiallyócurious, faster than an adult, and to which nutritional supplements would definitely be beneficialóthe prospect of munching on an insect or other convenient moving morsel of protein would probably be quite attractive.

P.S. I have not yet seen your commentary, pokeplayeróthough I do plan on checking it out (there are so many things I want to watch these days that I just can't seem to find time for :rolleyes)óso unfortunately I cannot give you any opinion on it at this time. :oops

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Jul 3 2010 on  11:04 PM
WR, I think pokeplayer984 was referring to when you commented how 47 seconds into the commentary you didn't find it funny anymore. I don't know the exact line, but pokeplayer wanted to prove the point that commentaries are not always meant to be funny.
Yes, that's exactly what's going on here!  Thank you very much.

Okay, I've given some time to think and I've decided to drop the dual voice thing and at least TRY to do it as one person.  The only thing I'm worried about at this point is whether or not I'll stutter through all of it.

It'll be some time before I work on the second one, sadly.  I've got a canker sore and it REALLY hurts to talk.

So, I'll see ya later! :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know what stuttering is like, since I have it also, very annoying to have.  There are some things that are supposed to help.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Just give it your best shot. I know stuttering can be a common speech problem, but like Kor said there are methods to get around it. If it doesn't work, then don't get let it get you down. Just experiment with other methods until you find one that works for you.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
That's right. Don't let anything get you down. I'm just trying to help, believe me, even if I'm incredibly bad at it.
When I called the two person thing, 'shtick', I was not operating under any assumption that they need to be funny. Its just how the two person-but actually just one came off to me. Anyway, if you're not comfortable doing commentaries as just yourself: don't on our account. Its fine if you continue as you have. However, when you talk like two people, it is kind of cheesy. This is why I suggested trying to find an actual second person if you can or want to.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Question: why the two voices in the first place?  (And Kacie was right...its pretty obvious its the same individual for both).  Not trying to slam you for the choice, but I think it would be better if it was just one person doing the speaking.