The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Place guessing

Malte279 · 520 · 38581

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Gee, this one held hardly a minute. Your turn Nick.

St. Peterburg was its original name (named after Zar Peter the Great). During WW1 the name was considered too German, so it was renamed in Petrograd. After the Revolution Moskau became the capital and the town was named Leningrad. Leningrads people suffered terribly when the town was besieged in WW2, but the town withstood the siege. After the collapse of the Soviet Union it was renamed into St. Petersburg.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Let's see- This place was originally built on a lake. It rose to be a great power,  then was crushed by a greater power. Over the ages, it has become a symbol to different people, but with different meanings.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Technochtitlan? The capital of the Aztec empire, built on an island of lake Texcoco. Destroyed by Cortez conquistadores. Today it is the location of Mexico City.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You got it Malte :)  That one took less than a minute also.
Your turn Malte.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi!
Hi Nick! We solved each others' last two riddles very quickly which is sort of sad, as neither of us gave anyone else a chance to think about it. I suppose that you may guess the next riddle easier than many others, because you are more interested in the topic than others. However, I suggest that you give others at least 24 hours of time, to guess on this. If you would like to know if your guess about this place is right, please send me a mail  :)

This place according to the legends was the forge of the gods. So associated was the smith god to this place, that places of the same nature all over the world were generally named after him. This place destroyed other places nearby which today is a case of luck to the archeologists.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So far no one has answered your question Malte. I'll wait a little longer before answering.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
This place sounds more like a volcano.  Right now I'm thinking Mount. Vesuveus (bad spelling), but there is more than one volcano in that part of the world, so I can't be sure.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I believe that is the answer Kenji. Vulcan was the smith of the gods, and his name is given to volcanoes everywhere.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The answer is perfectly right!
I was talking of the volcano (volcanos in general are named after the Roman smith god Vulcan) Vesuvius where Vulcan was said to have his forge. The Vesuvius destroyed the Roman towns Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79 A.D. which (cynical as it sounds) was a case of luck for archeologists as the remnants of these towns were not so much destroyed but rather conservated by the ashes and the lava of the volcano.

Good going Nick and Kenji. Your turn Kenji.  :)

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
ack!  :blink: I thought I was close, but not on the mark!  Ok, I'll try a more simple place...

The battle taken at this place was rumored to be won by this object.  It was proven true along with other important factors.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Legnano? - Members of an alliance of northern Italian towns who fought and won a battle against king Barbarossa there in 1176 got an important boost of morale from the defence of their "flag carriage", sort of a symbol for their alliance.
I should be most surprised though if this is the correct answer. There are quite a few battles in which objects such as flags, music instruments, or special weapons had a tremendous impact. Could you give some hint on the nature of the object? Was it a weapon or rather something symbolic?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Perhaps it was a cross? The cross has won many battles in history.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It was no cross, or anything described below.  No one actually thought this object would do much of anything, but it managed to not only win the battle, it also turned the tide of the war.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How about blowing a horn?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Nope.  The object is something you can't carry, except in pieces when you are ready to build it.  And this object was built so strong, it decided the fate of the battle, and the war.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I recall that Cortez conquistadores built ships at the coast and carried them in pieces into the Aztec empire. There they put the ships together to use them on lake Texcoco during the siege of Tenochtitlan. Even though it is not certain whether the whole siege would have taken another turn without the ships, their effect was tremendous. Not only did they cut the only supply line to the city, but also the leader of the Aztec's resistance, Quotemoc was captured by such a ship when he tried to escape in a smaller boat.

But I don't really think that this is what you are talking about, is it?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A church or an abbey, perhaps?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have another idea, but again I suppose it's wrong. During the D-Day invasion in 1944, the allieds brought the so called Mulberry harbours along. They brought the components along which were necessary to create save anchor places for ships that brought supplies. It sure had a very important effect on the proceedings of the invasion, but still I do not think this is what you are talking about Kenji. Could you give us some hint?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Neither one is correct.  This object is smaller than a church or an abbey.  But the battle took place somewhere between the fall of the Aztec Empire and WW2.  As a matter of fact, this object that won the battle still exists today, and still in the very spot where this critical battle took place.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Could it be a nuclear weapon?  It doesn't work until all the chemicals are brought together, and the radiation fallout is very much still over Hiroshima or Nagasaki today....