The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gigantopithecus

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I need to know a few things about the Gigantopithecus:
  • Was it around during the time of the Dinosaurs?
  • How big was it compared to Dinosaurs?
  • Is it a Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore?
So can you guys answer the questions for me, please?

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I don't think so. I'm certain the only mammals around during the times of the dinosaurs were small, rodent-like critters and such.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
JBJB1029, you included a link to a Wikipedia article on Gigantopithecus in your own post. :slap You know the creature's name and you've found a source on it; why not just go for information on it there?

Just to humor you, no, Gigantopithecus did not live in the Mesozoic. It was a contemporary of early humans during the Pleistocene epoch, between 1 million and 100,000 years ago. The last non-avian dinosaurs died out roughly 65 million years ago. Using Gigantopithecus in a LBT story would be just as inaccurate as using humans in it. It was probably chiefly herbivorous, with a lifestyle similar to that of gorillas. And in the first paragraph of that Wikipedia page, its size is given as close to 10 feet tall and 1,200 pounds. For that matter, the largest known mammal from the age of dinosaurs (Repenomamus giganticus), was around a meter (40 inches) long and just over 30 pounds.

I don't mind answering questionsóheck, I enjoy being helpfulóbut seriously, JBJB1029, you should be able to do at least some of this research yourself. You can't expect the members here to just spoon-feed you whatever information you want.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
If you were able to find the link to that animal yourself, why are you expecting us to answer your questions when they could have been answered by reading the wiki article you linked us to.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 19 2011 on  12:44 AM
  • Was it around during the time of the Dinosaurs?

No, only a species of squirrel, mice and some rats existed during the age of dinosaurs.

• How big was it compared to Dinosaurs?

It would be about the size of a mega-raptor, height-wise anyway. I'm not sure about weight or anything.

• Is it a Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore?

Omnivore. Most likely only ate the leaves of plants, grass and small animals like rodents.

Why don't or didn't you just read the article you posted the link to instead of asking us? ;)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Was it around during the time of the Dinosaurs?
How big was it compared to Dinosaurs?
Is it a Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore?

No, it wasn't around the time of the dinosaurs.  As many have pointed out already in your other thread about sabertooth cats (which by the way the term does not exist), mammals during dinosaur times were NOT large, they were very small in order to not be eaten...it's about survival and evolution.  Once dinosaurs died, they grew to large sizes- again evolution.  

Dinosaurs ranged from very small to very large, so the question is variable but the Gigantopithecus would not have been equal to the largest species of dinosaurs nor would it be as small as the smaller species of dinos.

As to what it ate?  Well what do other ape species have in their diet?  A variety of plant species and insects.  

I don't want to be rude here but what would you do if (and if you do go) you had a school project and had to do research?
Wikipedia while it can be edited by anyone, the scientific articles are a good base to knowledge...use it and make it your friend.  Visit museums if you are interested to expand on the knowledge.  The links you posted had the information down already for you and it wouldn't have taken you that much time to read them if you were that interested.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: brekclub85,Jan 19 2011 on  06:14 PM
You're pushing it again, JB...
:oops I'm Sorry (in a big way) :cry , since I got the answer now (because I didn't check myself :slap ), we can just either Close or Delete this Topic.

P.S. But I thought Gigantopithecus was a perfect match to Devastator in every way from personality to size (except weaponry).

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To prevent people from getting annoyed with you again, JBJB, you may want to put all your questions in one topic :)