The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

From PC to Mac

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I was wondering if the Mac users here could help with answering some questions regarding Mac. Especially iMac if anyone own it.
Not just Mac users, I'm sure PC people could tell aswell.

Right now I have these four questions below, you may re-direct me to some guides if you have one.

-What should one know when changing from PC to Mac for the first time?
-What are good specs for an iMac?
-Which PC programs work on Mac?
-What's the differences between the Mac OS's?

Would be very thankful if you could provide a hand on this one! :)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What should one know when changing from PC to Mac for the first time?

Well #1, if you want a decent mac, be prepared to spend at least $2,700.  It's infuriating because you could get a PC with the same specs (or maybe better) for $800.  #2, be prepared to replace almost all of your programs, for most of them won't work under the mac OS operating system.  You could run a PC emulator on your mac, but I'm not gonna lie......it sucks.  You'd have to dual boot with XP.  Sure that solves your problems now, but no one has been able to dual boot mac OS and Vista.  What makes you think they'll be able to dual boot with windows 7?  Macs just aren't very powerful when you compare them to PC's.  They really don't need to be.  Their OS takes up about 1/10 of the resources than MS's OS (I'm going off of practical usage, NOT what each OS says on the box since MS lies).  Your best solution is to replace all your current programs with programs that work on the mac OS, which is expensive and not very practical.  In terms of piracy.....well mac programs don't have hardly any protection at all against it (except for a few major programs such as photoshop and other programs that work on both PC's and macs).  In order to switch to a mac, you must be willing to spend A LOT of money and replace some of your programs for ones that might not work as well.  If you've used PC's for over 3 years, chances are the switch to mac will be painful.  Same goes for mac users.  It's just what you've grown up with.  Changing it is very hard.

What are good specs for an iMac?

I'd say you'd need at least a core2duo 2.4ghz processor, 2gb of ram, and a 200gb hard drive to use a mac effectively with 10.5.  If you're gonna be gouged by a mac's high prices, you might as well go all out though and get better.

Which PC programs work on Mac?

As I stated above, you can dual boot or run an emulator, but only major programs run on both macs and PC's.

What's the differences between the Mac OS's?

HUGE.  Go with 10.5.  It's got a billion more things than 10.4.  Even the versions 10.4.2 and 10.4.8 have significant differences.  Go with the best.  When a new OS or a new version of the OS comes out, upgrade immediately.

To conclude this lengthy questionnaire, I would say to get a decent mac brand new and to get all the programs and accessories you'd want, have at least $5,000.  Get one used and use pirated software (both of these options I would suggest against) and spend at least $1,500.  Don't have that much money to throw away on a mac?  Don't even try to go cheapo.  Wait until you've got the money and then spend it on a mac.

Oh, and here's an example of the MINIMUM I would buy:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/sys/921567767.html

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
The one I've been looking at goes like this:

Processor: 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM memory: 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
HD: 320GB Serial ATA Drive
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256 MB
Screen size: 20'

Fills the requirements for a good Mac?

11965 SEK is the price. That's about 1 471,58 USD. Fair price for me(it's considerable), I could boost in 79,94 USD to get a 500 GB HD. And 169,73 USD for 4GB RAM. Don't know if it's worth it?

Practicaly, I've been using a PC for not even a year. :p (I was not into computers before)

I have a few programs that would have to run on Mac in order to consider it.
Photoshop for example. I've been looking up some on which programs that work, and which doesn't. So far, no bigger problems.

How about if one should compare a Windows OS (XP or Vista) with Mac's?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How about if one should compare a Windows OS (XP or Vista) with Mac's?

Just looking at the OS's, Mac OS 10.5 is far superior to Vista.  XP is better than all other versions of mac though.  I just wouldn't go mac man unless you really need a program that only a mac computer can run.  If you bought a brand new PC for about $1,000 today, it would be usable for another 5 years or so, but if you bought a brand new mac for $1,500 today, it would be pretty much obsolete in less than 2 years.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
If we should look at a PC that I've checked out aswell then,

Fujitsu-Siemens SCALEO Pa 2666-30P

Processor: AMD Quad Core Phenom 9500
Graphics: ATI HD 3850 PRO 512MB
RAM: 3 GB
HD: 1000GB HÂrddisk

5990 SEK (736,71 USD)

But really?
Isn't the same with all things?
I honestly don't belive there's any product in our industrialized world that last popular or top notch more than 2 years! Even less! If everyone were to follow that,  I think the system would go nuts.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You can't just look at the specs like that.  The max memory expansion of that mac is probably 4gb, while the PC can probably handle 8gb or maybe even 16gb.  The PC is a MUCH better deal.

AMD Quad Core Phenom 9500

That's a damn good processor, loads better than the mac processor.  

But really?
Isn't the same with all things?
I honestly don't belive there's any product in our industrialized world that last popular or top notch more than 2 years! Even less! If everyone were to follow that, I think the system would go nuts.

Well yeah, the PC wouldn't look so hot after 5 years, but you could at least upgrade it to the latest OS and use it, whereas the mac after 2 years or so couldn't handle the latest OS and would be pretty useless when it came to modern day computing.

EDIT:  I would show you an HP because they're a much better deal, but I can't because they've changed their website to flash based and my internet is sooooooooo slow right now (I don't have internet yet and am using the local pizza place's wifi).  Just check out hp.com and you'll find a MUCH better PC with at least 8gb of ram for $800.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
But that's probably isn't it? And since when does a medium user of computers need 8 or 16 GB of RAM? Isn't that a bit of an overkill?

And I belive the obsolete matter are the same for both, in case of use.
I mean, there are both old PCs and old Macs out there, and both might work as a charm, for the user that owns them, am I right?
As these are same for everyone, I think one cannot compare on this matter.
People will always buy new stuff. What happends to the old is up to the alone user.
Atleast that's what I belive.

Yes, it's a better processor.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
A question that I'd like to ask all Mac users here:

-Why did you choose Mac?/what made you change to Mac?/what is it with Mac that you like?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
But that's probably isn't it? And since when does a medium user of computers need 8 or 16 GB of RAM? Isn't that a bit of an overkill?

Not many need 8-16gb of ram, but I can guarantee you that in a year or so, 8gb will be the standard max memory expansion.  It's best to get a computer that you can upgrade so it doesn't go obsolete in a year.  Crucial.com will give you 8gb of DDR2 ram for really cheap.  

-Why did you choose Mac?/what made you change to Mac?/what is it with Mac that you like?

Let me just give you a pro and cons list for a PC and a Mac.

Macs:
Pros:  
1.  No Viruses, Spyware, or other junk.  
2.  Operating System requires little or no maintenance.  
3.  Very good for video editing.  
4.  They look hella sweet.  :D
5.  Can dual boot with XP

Cons:
1.  Expensive
2.  Low power
3.  Expensive programs
4.  Expensive accessories
5.  Get obsolete about twice as fast as PC's
6.  Slim selection of programs
7.  Not very upgradable
8.  Not many techs work on them

PC's:
Pros:
1.  Cheap
2.  Tons of programs work with them
3.  Can dual boot mac os
4.  99% of people know how to use them
5.  Very Expandable
6.  High power
7.  Most techs can work on them

Cons:
1.  Viruses and other junk
2.  .......I really can't think of anything else.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There will be a day when the minimum program will require 8G of ram, then 16G of ram to run.  Games will one day require that just to run things on minimum settings.  You may not think so, but back in the 80's I remember some saying, 256k of ram, no program will require more then that.  Guess what?  

If one is considering Mac or Windows os, why not some others like Linux too?  

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Seeing the list, I'll stick with a PC, thank you very much!  Despite the problems I've suffered, I'm willing to deal with it all.

Just a little question, how is it that Macs don't get viruses and other junk?  Considering everything, I didn't think that was actually possible.  What's their secret?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess part of the reason is windows is a huge target compared to any other os.  Though there are other reasons too I'd imagine.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a little question, how is it that Macs don't get viruses and other junk? Considering everything, I didn't think that was actually possible. What's their secret?

Crackers and virus makers are low-life b*******.  They would never spend that kind of money for a mac when they can just go and get a PC for 1/4 of the cost.  Besides that, PC's have always been more popular than macs.  Why attack the type of computer with the smaller user base?  Also, the mac OS is programmed with a combination of Java and C, whereas the windows OS is programmed mainly in C++, which is a more widely known, used, and accepted form of programming language.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 30 2008 on  12:26 AM
Just a little question, how is it that Macs don't get viruses and other junk? Considering everything, I didn't think that was actually possible. What's their secret?

Crackers and virus makers are low-life b*******.  They would never spend that kind of money for a mac when they can just go and get a PC for 1/4 of the cost.  Besides that, PC's have always been more popular than macs.  Why attack the type of computer with the smaller user base?  Also, the mac OS is programmed with a combination of Java and C, whereas the windows OS is programmed mainly in C++, which is a more widely known, used, and accepted form of programming language.

First off, even without that kind of background info, I would also agree with calling crackers "low-life b*******" because of what they do to you.  Especially with the stuff like Rootkits. (Read about that if you must know on how I found out.) *shudders* Scares me just thinking about it.

Second, even with unpopularity on their side, I'm sure there are a few exceptions.  I'm sure there have been at least a few that do that bad stuff with a mac.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
As I tried a macbook with Leopard for the whole day today, I got to try it out.

It felt as f I had used the OS all my life. I was very satishfied!

One thing that bothered me though was the lack of fullscreen windows. But I think there are fixes or something for that, as I googled the issue.

Other than that, I like it alot!  :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Yeah the mac OS is clean and efficient, but what matters is how it works, not what it looks or feels like.  Have you installed a program yet?  How about set up a wireless and wired network connection?  Have you messed around in the mac OS "control panel"?  Switching to a mac isn't something to be taken lightly.  Most mac users don't do much of anything except video and graphics editing.  If you want to do much else, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.  Sure you can dual boot windows or run it in an emulator now, but what about in the future?  It's a switch I'm personally incapable of making.  I need windows and a PC too much.  Mac really does seem like the way to go right now 'cuz it's the "best of both worlds", but in the future it probably won't be like that.  Keep that in mind.  The future is only a few short years away.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 4 2008 on  12:07 AM

Yeah the mac OS is clean and efficient, but what matters is how it works, not what it looks or feels like.  Have you installed a program yet?  How about set up a wireless and wired network connection?  Have you messed around in the mac OS "control panel"?  Switching to a mac isn't something to be taken lightly.  Most mac users don't do much of anything except video and graphics editing.  If you want to do much else, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.  Sure you can dual boot windows or run it in an emulator now, but what about in the future?  It's a switch I'm personally incapable of making.  I need windows and a PC too much.  Mac really does seem like the way to go right now 'cuz it's the "best of both worlds", but in the future it probably won't be like that.  Keep that in mind.  The future is only a few short years away.
No, I have not. Borrowed the machine you know.
Yes, I plugged in my wireless Huawei device.
Yes, I looked at every option in the Mac's control panel. I was searching for large differences. I didn't find one that would drive me nuts.

That's what I'm going to do. I don't play games, I don't open my buckets. (it would probably broke for my hands anyway! :P:)  
To this point, a majority of what I do on a PC worked on the Mac aswell.

As I stated in my earlier posts... the future doesn't worry me one bit. As I take examples from both sides. I'm fine with my selection, either with a Mac or a new PC.

Besides, I'm not selling my laptop. So I got it both ways if I change.

Kor, no. I'm still speculating. But they are quite the even to me right now.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Best to weigh the various options one has, instead of just 1 or 2 options, but more & take time and care thinking them out, doing research and thinking.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Dec 4 2008 on  05:54 AM
Best to weigh the various options one has, instead of just 1 or 2 options, but more & take time and care thinking them out, doing research and thinking.
You're describing my procedure now.  :D