The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pulmonoscorpius

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
I have to admit, that would be pretty cool, but giant buts like that are exinct by the time dinosaurs existed.

Bugs such as 'Megauria' (giant dragonfly) and that species of giant scorpion died out during the Carboniferous period; when the dinosaurs didn't exist until the Triassic, Jurassic and Creataceous.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think accuracy means much to the LBT creators considering that they have dinosaurs such as spike and littlefoot that were around the Jurassic and died out eventually in the early cretaceous.  I always got the impression that there was no time span in LBT....so Brontoscorpios may be able to exist too.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It defianetely would be cool, but I don't think that would really...I don't know...work in the LBT series. and they could only live underwater. But don't get me wrong, that is VERY cool.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think accuracy means much to the LBT creators considering that they have dinosaurs such as spike and littlefoot that were around the Jurassic and died out eventually in the early cretaceous. I always got the impression that there was no time span in LBT....so Brontoscorpios may be able to exist too.

Yes, The Land Before Time is definately an alternate universe from reality with the combinations they have out there. I think accuracy was lost as soon as the characters started speaking to each other, and teleporting Rainbow Faces didn't help either.  :p

It defianetely would be cool, but I don't think that would really...I don't know...work in the LBT series. and they could only live underwater. But don't get me wrong, that is VERY cool.

Being forced to live underwater isn't a set back for the LBT story. Remember, in the ninth movie, the villain was also only able to live in water, and he posed a huge threat to the gang. And movie five also portrayed a short-screen-time villain that could only survive underwater. All one needs is a reason for the gang to have some kind of aquatic adventure or idea, and bam, an aquatic villian becomes a real problem.

So yeah, with herds of Long Necks having the same dream, a lone dinosaur that has lived for generations, and a day of the year that can be observed by gauging the distance between a star and the moon, I think there can be room for a brontoscorpio.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Friendly Sharptooth,Jan 12 2011 on  08:22 PM
I don't think accuracy means much to the LBT creators considering that they have dinosaurs such as spike and littlefoot that were around the Jurassic and died out eventually in the early cretaceous. I always got the impression that there was no time span in LBT....so Brontoscorpios may be able to exist too.

Yes, The Land Before Time is definately an alternate universe from reality with the combinations they have out there. I think accuracy was lost as soon as the characters started speaking to each other, and teleporting Rainbow Faces didn't help either.  :p

Being forced to live underwater isn't a set back for the LBT story. Remember, in the ninth movie, the villain was also only able to live in water, and he posed a huge threat to the gang. And movie five also portrayed a short-screen-time villain that could only survive underwater. All one needs is a reason for the gang to have some kind of aquatic adventure or idea, and bam, an aquatic villian becomes a real problem.
I see what your saying...oh yes. Thinking back on the movies, living underwater isn't necessarialy a setback. i guess yor right. Whoops! My mistake. :rolleyes:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Jan 12 2011 on  05:33 PM
Brontoscorpio and its relatives actually are believed to have been able to come onto land for limited periods of time. (Their breathing organs would have been able to function for as long they were kept moist.) Some of their even larger relatives, the eurypterids or “sea scorpions”, may have done the same. In fact, it's thought that they were some of the first creatures to walk on land. Even before any creatures evolved to live permanently out of water, it's likely that eurypterids came ashore to lay their eggs, much as horseshoe crabs continue to do today. The eggs would have been safer on land because there were far fewer animals around to eat them (if any at all) than in the water. I suppose it's also possible that the adult scorpions did some foraging on land, feeding on dead animals washed up on shore. There wouldn't have been much for them to hunt, though (besides possibly each other). I'm not sure if the “classic” giant sea scorpions like 6-foot Pterygotus and 8-foot Jaekelopterus could have done this (I'm no expert in eurypterid biomechanics, but to me they don't look like they could have supported themselves out of water), but a 330-mllion-year-old fossil trackway from the 5-foot-long Hibbertopterus (whose appearance was rather less terrifying) shows that creatures bigger than Brontoscorpio could do it. Granted, they probably weren't especially fast or agile on land, and would have been at their most dangerous in the water.

During the Carboniferous, there were some giant scorpions like Pulmonoscorpius that were about the same length as Brontoscorpio (though less massive), and lived full-time on the land. Somehow, I personally don't find them nearly as interesting as Brontoscorpio and the eurypterids, but they might be more suitable for an antagonist if needing to be near water is a limitation. These, too, died out long before the first dinosaurs, but the same was true of the sail-backed synapsid Dimetrodon, which was featured in the original LBT, so I concur with those before me that that's not much of an argument against using it.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think much depended on how this was brought about (and also of course on individual taste). To be blunt, if this was about another army of creepy looking creatures seeking to take over the world and attacking everything within the range of their stings just for the heck of it this would certainly not be my cup of tea.
If a scorpion character was fleshed out a bit more and (no matter if that character was to be a villain or not) is given some more background than that of a vicious looking killing machine I think one could make something interesting from it.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
My idea was to have the Scorpion be part of The Sharptooth Uprising, that is it if the Scorpion is a Carnivore or Omnivore.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If you'll pardon the obvious question, wasn't this thread about Brontoscorpio before? Why is it suddenly about Pulmonoscorpius? :confused

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jan 13 2011 on  11:59 PM
If you'll pardon the obvious question, wasn't this thread about Brontoscorpio before? Why is it suddenly about Pulmonoscorpius? :confused
Maybe he chose a different species of scorpion (the photo is different too), and an admin or mod changed the topic name? :blink:

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jan 14 2011 on  11:59 AM
Why is it suddenly about Pulmonoscorpius? :confused
Magic.

(couldn't resist. :lol)

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Haha! That was funny :lol:  

Yeah, even though THAT *please insert sarcasim here* probably solves every question in the universe without a doubt *please end sarcasim here* I was wondering wasn't this thread the one with the Brontoscorpio?

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Jan 14 2011 on  03:02 PM

Yeah, even though THAT *please insert sarcasim here* probably solves every question in the universe without a doubt *please end sarcasim here* I was wondering wasn't this thread the one with the Brontoscorpio?
It was, but read what was Posted on Jan 12 2011 at 06:36 PM, and you'll find out why I changed the Title (and Topic) of the Topic, and if you can't then I'll quote the part of the reply that made me change the Title (and Topic) of the Topic.

P.S. What about the reply that was Posted on Jan 13 2011 at 01:23 AM, that says:
My idea was to have the Scorpion be part of The Sharptooth Uprising, that is it if the Scorpion is a Carnivore or Omnivore.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, I get it. About the sharptooth uprising, you can decide whether to put it in or not, but I think it would be a cool addition. :D

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Jan 14 2011 on  09:28 PM
Okay, I get it. About the sharptooth uprising, you can decide whether to put it in or not, but I think it would be a cool addition. :D
Yeah, that scorpion would be REALLY cool. :smile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 14 2011 on  08:47 PM
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Jan 14 2011 on  03:02 PM

It was, but read what was Posted on Jan 12 2011 at 06:36 PM, and you'll find out why I changed the Title (and Topic) of the Topic, and if you can't then I'll quote the part of the reply that made me change the Title (and Topic) of the Topic.
Most of the members on this forum live in different time zones, so it would be better to link directly to the post (by clicking on the “Posted:” line and copying the link into the http://tags), or at least mention who made the post, instead of just telling people the date and time of the post and leaving them to find it themselves.

Anyway, if you're talking about my post, I wan't telling you that you should use Pulmonoscorpius in your story instead of Brontoscorpio; I was just bringing up a possible alternative, since, depending on the level of realism one was going for, Brontoscorpio might not. But as almost everyone who has responded in this thread pointed out, scientific accuracy is not a big deal in the LBT universe, so it wouldn't matter much if you weren't completely realistic in your portrayal of the creature (e.g., having it move around quickly on land, survive out of water indefinitely, etc.). You already had your answer, anyway, so there really wasn't much reason to change the entire thread.

Also, I think some people who saw this thread interpreted it as asking whether a giant prehistoric scorpion would be a good creature to appear as a character in the LBT world in general. The impression I'm getting, though, is that you're asking whether it would be a good character specifically for your story.

With respect, JBJB1029, I've noticed that you have been making a lot of threads asking people for ideas, opinions, recommendations, information, and other forms of assistance with your stories. While I guess there's nothing inherently wrong with that, isn't the whole idea of writing your own stories to create something using your own imagination, and making your own decisions? If you were to find someone who was willing to collaborate with you on the project, to help you come up with ideas and design the story, that's one thing, but relying on random people for material by asking questions like “should I use this idea or this idea?”, “is this a good idea?”, “did this LBT character ever do this?”, etc. just doesn't seem like the right way to go about planning a story, in my opinion. Besides, how much fun are people going to have reading a story if they already know basically everything that's going to happen in it?

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My thought exactly Pangaea. With all due respect JBJB1029, you should use your own imagination to create the story and you don't have to seek approval from others. All you have to do is what you want to do. And since your the creator of your own fanfic. It's up to you to create your own ideas and see whether they're okay or not by your standards. Not anybody else's. Of course, I'm always happy to help if you need me. I don't mean any offense JBJB1029, just a few tips from a friend. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would have been interesting to see such a creature in the original Land of the Lost tv show.

Or a stage for a digimon.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jan 14 2011 on  09:37 PM
It would have been interesting to see such a creature in the original Land of the Lost tv show.

Or a stage for a digimon.
 :blink: Are we talking aout The Land Before Time or something else?